53 grain Vmax

Rustydust

Hey All

Went to the range yesterday to play with some new loads for my .223 AI. I am a big fan of H335 powder for this cartridge and guess that I always will be. But I recently got a jug of N133 powder from someone who is getting out of reloading and decided to give that a try. I had some 52-53 grain bullets (Speer, Sierra, Berger, Nosler) collecting dust so loaded some of them up. I also had some 53 grain Vmaxes on the shelf so...why not? My Hart barrel is a 1/14" twist and heard that it was likely that the Vmax would not work very well. Wrong! No only did they shoot good, but they gave me my only 1/4" 5 shot group of the day. I only had 5 of them loaded as I was not expecting much out of them. I guess that I will have to hit the range again soon with more of them and see if I can duplicate it.

So any of you having good luck with this bullet too? I was more that pleased with how well it did in my gun first try. If I can duplicate this again I may have me a new favorite.

I have not used the 53gr Vmax in my handloads. I used the 53gr Vmax in factory Hornady ammunition and had mixed results. In standard loads, they were accurate and seemed to anchor coyotes just fine. But the Superformance line wasn't very accurate. Full disclosure, I am not a big fan of the Superformance line at all. The accuracy isn't what I have come to expect from Hornady. I don't think that velocity is the end-all-be-all for ammunition. I loved the Hornady Vmax's in m .204 in the "Custom Load" line from Hornady, but won't buy the Superformance for the .204 While testing it, I was getting keyholing out of the same barrel that was cutting the same hole in the Custom line.

Sounds to me like the quality control for the 53's is there based on your accuracy. I had seen some spotty quality control out of the 55gr Vmax line with weights varying 1-3 grains.

I eagerly await the results when you put it on fur.

RD, I've been shooting these bullets since they very first hit the market and I probably shoot more 53gr Vmax bullets than all other 22 cal bullets combined.

My 9tw 223AI and 12tw 22-250 love them, but coyotes hate them and they are definitely NOT pelt friendly.

Rusty, N133 became my go to .223 powder many years ago. I, have found N133 to work well with 50-70 bullets in all .223 chambered rifles I have tried it.

But, I have had issues with it going bad. Few years ago notice strong smell in my powder cabinet and upon inspection found swollen bottle, opened it and a brown cloud came out of bottle. Also had some loaded rounds that had been stored for several years, secrete blue green slime round the neck, and out of primer pocket. The issue is document on the interweb do a search.

Called them,they blamed it on improper storage. Funny thing none of the other brands of powder stored in the same cabinet had issues some of it 50 years old.

From my understanding they have quietly fixed the issue in the past several years.

jme

I am shooting the 53 grain V MAX in my 223 that we talked about loads for a while back,very happy with them with the 26 grains of Varget you told me about.

Originally Posted By: Terry LightleI am shooting the 53 grain V MAX in my 223 that we talked about loads for a while back,very happy with them with the 26 grains of Varget you told me about.

Hey! Great it is still working for you so well! 26 grains of Varget with either the 50 grain Vmax or the Nosler Ballistic Tip was my go-to load for my .223 for like a decade. I still have loaded boxes of it on the shelf. With not so much as a clue what number two powder that I bought the most of in the last 15 years, Varget is most certainly number one.

I agree with snowmanmo, I have not found Hornay’s super performance to be as accurate as standard loads. Not saying the stuff is bad. I suspect it maybe a quality control problem more than a velocity issue

Some of the highest velocity loads I ever chronoed with 50 gr bullets in 223 were with vn133. They were also some of the most accurate. Most powders seem to not have peak accuracy with peak velocity. I love vn133

Rusty, I, too, have had great luck with the 53 grain V-Max in a 223.. And, I've also been using Varget under them. Very accurate out of a Remmy 700 5R 223, 1-9" twist. My favorite Varmint bullet!!!!!!

Originally Posted By: Idaho-45-5RRusty, I, too, have had great luck with the 53 grain V-Max in a 223.. And, I've also been using Varget under them. Very accurate out of a Remmy 700 5R 223, 1-9" twist. My favorite Varmint bullet!!!!!!

I have not tried them with Varget yet. I was mainly concerned with how well they would work with my 1/14" twist Hart barrel. Now that I know that they shoot wonderful in it I will have to try my old favorite Varget and see how they do. No reason to think that they will not continue to please.

I've been testing 53gr Vmax loads in my Rem 700 .223 with 12 twist barrel.
Using 25-26 grains of Benchmark, I'm seeing .33-.5 MOA groups with a few at 1 MOA at 300 yards

Based on group and velocity data, I'm going with 25.8 gr of Benchmark, CCI-400, and Federal brass.
My ES numbers are still higher than I would like so might try Winchester SRP and different brass.

I haven't tried Varget mainly because I use it in my 6BR and need all I can get my hands on.
8208XBR is another temp stable powder if I ever run out of Benchmark.

I have had to swear off powder that is temp sensitive.
Too much velocity swing when the temps go up.

The Vmax 53gr has a high BC (.290) which helps in the wind.
Now I need fur testing...

Last edited:
I shoot a hotter load in my remington, Anything but Federal brass cci 450 primer seals the deal on accuracy with that hot load of benchmark, bullet just barely off the lands, maybe .003, 3470 fps is the bug hole load with 24" barrel.

NOTE: 55g Nosler Varm is the most accurate bullet in my barrel, and I have killed zero coyotes with this bullet, good/no good?

Last edited:
Rusty, That is the load that my son shoots. He uses Varget and 53 VMax. Seem him take P.D. over 400 yards with his little Rem. bull barrel.

Rudy

Originally Posted By: rudymontanaRusty, That is the load that my son shoots. He uses Varget and 53 VMax. Seem him take P.D. over 400 yards with his little Rem. bull barrel

Rudy

Varget was my number powder in both my .17 Remington and my .223 Remington for a good decade. I still have boxes of ammo on the shelf loaded with it.

But for the .223 AI H335 had been super for me and it might get supplanted by N133 if I keep getting great results with it. But now that I know that it will shoot the 53 grain Vmax well I plan on using more of them in the future.

Back