223 nosler partition on whitetail deer

17freak

Over the years my big game hunting has always occurred in MT and CO. Typically Elk and Mule Deer. This fall I will be hunting in NE KY mainly from stands. The limit in the area that I'm hunting allows 4 deer. I'm thinking that this might be good time to try shooting my Encore in 223 Rem with Nosler 60 grain Partitions for the Does. Every person I talk to tells me to aim for the neck or head shots. Doesn't sound appealing to me. Was wondering if a heart/lung shot with the 223 Partition is viable or should I just go with a larger caliber.
Thanks for your input

Smokes them! I've used the 60 gr. Partition in my standard .223 16" AR15 on a half dozen deer. Mostly bucks, a couple that would field dress about 160 lbs. Shot through the heart/lungs from under 100 yards not one has ran over 60 yards. From memory most of those exited the off side. The Barnes TSX 62 gr. works as well.

You will need a fast twist with those Barnes bullets,7-8 twist. Load them 0.050 off the rifling or they won't shoot good.

Last edited:
The AR I shoot the 62 gr. Barnes in is a 1/9 twist and it shoots sub MOA groups. Maybe it is an exception to the rule, I don't know.

My Encore has a 24 inch barrel with a 1 in 12 twist. Thanks to the panic I can't find 60 grain partitions. Would a 55 grain spitzer soft point work as well with heart lung shots.
Thanks Bear and GC for your input.

I have a friend that uses 55 grain soft point for heart/lung shots successfully, they run a short distance.
He has used hollow ponts for neck shots and they drop like a sack of potatoes.

I've culled several whitetail does (neck shots) and removed a number hogs w/223 & 55 gr. NBT's while hunting coyotes. Almost all hogs shot with this bullet were head shots; couple behind shoulder on smaller (75-80#).
Only failure with this bullet on hogs was perfect hit between the eyes on a larger boar trotting straight on at about 20 yards; saw the red splash in my scope when bullet made contact but failed to enter skull. Knocked the boar down, but he got up and disappeared into heavy brush before I could follow up.

Regards,
hm

That is a danger with head/neck shots on deer but can be minimized by watching the deer a while to determine how "spooky" they are. I wouldn't attempt that shot if the deer seemed the least bit nervous and picked sure shots only at decent ranges. I personally don't take neck shot beyond 100 yards and center the white patch. Does often came to the call out of curiosity, presenting that opportunity.

Regards,
hm

I've been using an AR .223 for years on caribou with Federal ammo using Partitions or Barnes. Heart/lung shots mean meat on the ground.

I've only shot 10-12 with my AR so not a ton of testing but recovered all (knock on wood). Also, all of them have been behind the shoulder with ammo ranging from 55 grains to 75 grains and my longest was 279 yards. All have been dead within 100 yards. Your .223 ought to get the job done fine shooting for lungs.

The Sierra 55 (#1365) and 65 (#1395) Gamekings work well also. They were more accurate in several of my rifles than the Nosler partitions. Lots of choices out there.

Back