Driving in the dark?

WestTX 25/06

Hey guys, I’m a long time lurker on this forum but this is my first post. Thanks for everything I have learned from y’all over the years.

I’ve been coyote hunting my whole life, the last two years with thermal, zero experience with night vision. Most of this is done from a high rack in the truck at night.

I’ve been toying with this idea and wanted to see if any of you had some wisdom to share. I want to come up with a method of approaching my calling location with the headlights off. I know some people have the red LEDs on a switch that they use once they get off pavement, but is there a NV option that can see through the windshield and allow you to drive in complete darkness?

Thanks again and have a great day.

Driving in the dark can totally be done. It is one of the things the guys at TNVC do. I would contact Tom Austin, Programs Director at Night Goggles at 909-312-5424 X531. Night Goggles is the hunting (sister company) to TNVC. Tom can answer any questions you may have or get you to the people who specialize in this type of activity.

Please don't use thermal for ANY drivng! Seems a few around these forums say they can navigate and drive as well.
frown.gif

What you want to do can easily be done with a helmet mounted PVS14 and an external IR illumintor light bar mounted on the truck.

There are videos available that illustrate this set up. Google it.

I have been down this road before....no pun intended.....helmet mounted PVS14 and vehicle mounted thermal with a screen for driving.

You can save yourself a ton of money by mounting some low output red lights on your vehicle. The few critters that might spook from this setup certainly aren't worth the thousands of dollars invested so you can drive in total darkness.

You can also just buy clear lights and try different colors.....Red....Green....Amber. I use green on my hog hunting ATV. These Lamin-x light film covers work great and their light bar covers can be ordered on Amazon.

https://lamin-x.com/automobile-products

Last edited:
Back