Anyone got a Tikka T3X in .204

Dan A

Gentleman,

My son and I are finally getting around to getting life together good enough to settle down and get into predator hunting.

We have a place with a number of bobcat we hope to have some fun with. Will also chase whatever comes about.

I gave him a nice, accurate, modded Ruger American Ranch in .223 that he is going to use.

I have recently starting picking up some Tikka's and have been very impressed with them. I was going to grab a T3X in 223 but have been intrigued somewhat with the .204. I know either will do the job just fine.

Anyway, I've contemplated this .204 and wanted to get others opinions that may have one.

I found plenty reviews on the .223 and from what I saw they seem to be what I've come to expect which is closer to 1/2 or 3/4 MOA as a general rule.

I have only found one review that actually gave group sizes on the .204 and he only had one group sub-MOA but not by much.

Although I know this is plenty good enough I like very accurate guns.

So what kind of groups are you getting with your Tikka .204 and what ammo are you using to get those groups? Whats been your best hunting round and its accuracy.

I am looking at the T3X Compact with the 20" barrel. We will be walking mostly and I know the gun I would be buying isn't a bench gun focused on accuracy.

Also, currently I do not reload so that is out of the question for now.

In a nutshell, I'd like to get the .204 over the .223 but if the .204 is going to be an MOA gun and the .223 is going to be closer to a half MOA, I'll go ahead with the .223

I know there is no guarantee that even if yours shoots 1/4" MOA that I will get one that shoots 1/2 MOA, lol.

Also open to any opinions on the .223 VS the .204.

Have a number of 17 HMRs and 22LR for small varmints. Also have some AR's in .223

Thanks for any help or accuracy numbers.

Dan I shot a Tikka Lite with a 22 in barrel for 3 years. I found Hornady factory ammo to be okay but not less than MOA for accuracy. I do reload and discovered that the rifle liked 40 grain Nosler Ballistic tips a lot as in half an MOA for 5 shots so I settled on that load. Its performance on Nutria, coons and Pdogs was outstanding. Sold it to a fellow who wanted to introduce his young son to long distance shooting without the issue of recoil. I find Tikka has the smoothest action of any rifle you can buy and the trigger is very nice.

Thank you for that info. I am still in deciding mode as to whether I will get the .204 or the .223

I appreciate it!

I have 2 223's and 1 204R. I consider selling the 204 until I shoot it then change my mind. Mines a TC Icon Precision Hunter. Laminate stock and fluted HB so its not a light weight rifle but man does it shoot. A three inch steel at 300 yards is a snap to hit and it hits it hard with a 39 grain BlitzKing. I sure won't be telling you not to buy a 204. Blistering fast with almost no recoil. What's not to like?

I have several 204 cal rifles for what ever reason they all shoot awesome.My tikka is a 22 in barrel it shoots 40gr well within a minute of coyote I have found the twist rate on my tikka to shoot 32 gr and 35 gr like a bench rest rifle there are several good factory ammo available in those weights as well. I bought my Tikka here used for 400.00 You cant go wrong with a tikka,savage,or a CZ in the $450.00 to $600.00.
Good Luck and be sure and share your findings with us!

I shoot .223 and .204

I built my first .204 on a Savage action with a factory Savage barrel that the original owner sold on the net. It is a blued HB and though it shoots lights out, I opted for a sporter barrel also used on the net by Savage. I still own the HB and plan on keeping it.

The.HB shoots upper .2” and the sporter runs lower .3”. I went with the sporter barrel to lose some pounds to pack around.

A while back I acquired a CZ 527 used in .204 as well. I have its kin in a .223 as well, another CZ 527.

Besides the CZ in .223, I also have a Ruger American Compact in .223. That rifle is my “daily driver” here on the ranch because of its lightness and compactness.

For a varmint /coyote rig I would wholeheartedly endorse the Tikka/.204 combination!

For ammo, my best results come from either handloads or factory ammo with the 32 gr V-max

Do I like the .223 cartridge? You bet!

But after running the two cartridges I like the .204 even better and that Tikka is very nice!

Three44s

Last edited:
Back