Zeiss Optics
Predator Masters using UBB.threads ™ Infopop Corporation.
PM Gear Moon & Weather

Welcome to the Predator Masters Forums
Be sure to visit the main Predator Master website at

PM Gear
PM Gear
PM Gear
The Official Predator Masters Search Engine
Search Predator Masters

Topic Options
#3251925 - 09/08/20 12:23 AM How Much Lead Can A Coyote Carry
DoubleUp Online
Die Hard Member III

Loc: USA
My hunting buddy was fishing with his daughter so I went alone tonight. I did two lone howls and some babe cottontail and had two coming. They disappeared and I went to Pup Screams and one of them turned and came back, but he was about to get into my downwind. I finally got him killed but it wasn't pretty.

I think I shot at him about 10 times, and heard the bullet hit him about half of those. He was pretty much blown to pieces. I've never seen a coyote carry so much lead. Anyway he is dead, and that's what counts. I'll be putting the thermal back on the 243 tomorrow. I missed that knock down power.

IMG_0655 by Double Up, on Flickr

Video:

#3251932 - 09/08/20 07:40 AM Re: How Much Lead Can A Coyote Carry [Re: DoubleUp]
AdamT Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: Southwest Virginia, USA
Shoot em till they stop moving. Nice way to stay with it. You mentioned going back to the 243, what caliber rifle were you using here?

#3251936 - 09/08/20 07:56 AM Re: How Much Lead Can A Coyote Carry [Re: DoubleUp]
DoubleUp Online
Die Hard Member III

It was one of my AR's. A 223 shooting a 50 gr. Z-max at 3,250 fps with a 16" barrel suppressed with a Banish 30/Varminter 4.0. It is a very accurate loading and basically shoots one hole groups at 100 yds., but I've never seen a coyote take that many hits to stop.

#3251960 - 09/08/20 12:42 PM Re: How Much Lead Can A Coyote Carry [Re: DoubleUp]
crapshoot Offline
Retired PM Staff

Loc: Henderson,Nevada,USA
I'd like to see that coyote skinned out just to see where the hits were.
But yes, I've seen them take one to the heart and run for 300+ yrds. They can take a licking and keep on ticking.

Average response time for a 911 call is 10 min.
Average response time for a .45acp is 900FPS.

Remember, if you're not pissing off a liberal......You are one!
Ted Nugent

#3252017 - 09/08/20 09:32 PM Re: How Much Lead Can A Coyote Carry [Re: DoubleUp]
GC Online
PM Junkie

Loc: Missouri
I watched that video and had to giggle. My son and I were calling in early January and I called one that came on my right side. Being a right handed shooter I was twisted up trying to get on the thing. Long story short, I started the shooting too early and in a bad position. I missed a couple shots, made a bad hit, kept shooting... and shooting. Once committed I saw it through, but it was ugly. Afterward my son looked at me and said, "That was rough, I feel bad for you." : )

#3252019 - 09/08/20 09:41 PM Re: How Much Lead Can A Coyote Carry [Re: DoubleUp]
DoubleUp Online
Die Hard Member III

I must admit I was beginning to panic on those last 3 or 4 shots. I thought he was going to carry off all that lead and get away. I finally settled down enough to get in a finishing shot. It definitely was not pretty, but there is nothing else to do except keep shooting when it goes south.

#3252021 - 09/08/20 09:58 PM Re: How Much Lead Can A Coyote Carry [Re: DoubleUp]
Pa. Mick Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: Southern shores of Lake Erie ,...
I had to many runners from the 223 /55gr.hp , seems most runners are from what I’ve read. I broke out the old 243 62 gr. hp and just flattens them. Just jumped up to 77 gr. hp for the 223. First one did the job !! Now time will tell. Was missing the fast follow up shots !
SHOOT UNTIL THEY DROP, lol !!!

#3252023 - 09/08/20 10:16 PM Re: How Much Lead Can A Coyote Carry [Re: DoubleUp]
ackleyman Online
PM senior

Loc: Hickville
Bolt gun 223 guys, 55g lead tip blitz, max load of benchmark, cci 450, the mack daddy 223 load. You have to see it to believe it. There is a sweet spot in rem 700's at 3450 fps.

#3252047 - 09/09/20 10:15 AM Re: How Much Lead Can A Coyote Carry [Re: DoubleUp]
DoubleUp Online
Die Hard Member III

ack, thanks for the tip. Sounds like a good combination. Benchmark is hard to beat in that weight range for an accuracy and speed combination.

#3252078 - 09/09/20 05:04 PM Re: How Much Lead Can A Coyote Carry [Re: DoubleUp]
Hellgate Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Orygun
Were there exit holes on the off side? If not, Id go to a 60gr V-max which would give more penetration for off angle hits. The 55gr Ballistic tip would do the same.

With over 15 percussion revolvers I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap & Ball

If you do not subscribe to a newspaper you are uninformed. If you do subscribe to a newspaper you are misinformed. Mark Twain

#3252084 - 09/09/20 07:45 PM Re: How Much Lead Can A Coyote Carry [Re: DoubleUp]
DoubleUp Online
Die Hard Member III

He was so shot up I didn't try to look really. I had to put him on his belly and the best side to even take a picture. I normally shoot a 243, and don't have that problem, but a bad hit is a bad hit no matter the caliber. I don't think he would have survived 4 more hits from the 243 though.

#3252254 - 09/12/20 01:21 PM Re: How Much Lead Can A Coyote Carry [Re: DoubleUp]
AWS Offline

Loc: NM
Usually they can't even pack 40grs away but I did have one go 30' with 100grs, bigger isn't always better. I kill a lot of them with 52grs in my 222 Rem. Having the right bullet and placement really helps a lot. In Vietnam doing control work on the base I had a dog take seven 55gr FMJ's before he went down, swapped my AR for a M-14 and things got better here bigger was better just because of bullet selection.

Make mine a Minaska.

Heaven has rules and walls, He-l has open borders

© Predator Masters™, All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.