How Much Lead Can A Coyote Carry

DoubleUp

My hunting buddy was fishing with his daughter so I went alone tonight. I did two lone howls and some babe cottontail and had two coming. They disappeared and I went to Pup Screams and one of them turned and came back, but he was about to get into my downwind. I finally got him killed but it wasn't pretty.

I think I shot at him about 10 times, and heard the bullet hit him about half of those. He was pretty much blown to pieces. I've never seen a coyote carry so much lead. Anyway he is dead, and that's what counts. I'll be putting the thermal back on the 243 tomorrow. I missed that knock down power.

IMG_0655 by Double Up, on Flickr

Video:

Shoot em till they stop moving. Nice way to stay with it. You mentioned going back to the 243, what caliber rifle were you using here?

It was one of my AR's. A 223 shooting a 50 gr. Z-max at 3,250 fps with a 16" barrel suppressed with a Banish 30/Varminter 4.0. It is a very accurate loading and basically shoots one hole groups at 100 yds., but I've never seen a coyote take that many hits to stop.

I'd like to see that coyote skinned out just to see where the hits were.
But yes, I've seen them take one to the heart and run for 300+ yrds. They can take a licking and keep on ticking.

I watched that video and had to giggle. My son and I were calling in early January and I called one that came on my right side. Being a right handed shooter I was twisted up trying to get on the thing. Long story short, I started the shooting too early and in a bad position. I missed a couple shots, made a bad hit, kept shooting... and shooting. Once committed I saw it through, but it was ugly. Afterward my son looked at me and said, "That was rough, I feel bad for you." : )

I must admit I was beginning to panic on those last 3 or 4 shots. I thought he was going to carry off all that lead and get away. I finally settled down enough to get in a finishing shot. It definitely was not pretty, but there is nothing else to do except keep shooting when it goes south.

I had to many runners from the 223 /55gr.hp , seems most runners are from what I’ve read. I broke out the old 243 62 gr. hp and just flattens them. Just jumped up to 77 gr. hp for the 223. First one did the job !! Now time will tell. Was missing the fast follow up shots !
SHOOT UNTIL THEY DROP, lol !!!

Bolt gun 223 guys, 55g lead tip blitz, max load of benchmark, cci 450, the mack daddy 223 load. You have to see it to believe it. There is a sweet spot in rem 700's at 3450 fps.

ack, thanks for the tip. Sounds like a good combination. Benchmark is hard to beat in that weight range for an accuracy and speed combination.

Were there exit holes on the off side? If not, Id go to a 60gr V-max which would give more penetration for off angle hits. The 55gr Ballistic tip would do the same.

He was so shot up I didn't try to look really. I had to put him on his belly and the best side to even take a picture. I normally shoot a 243, and don't have that problem, but a bad hit is a bad hit no matter the caliber. I don't think he would have survived 4 more hits from the 243 though.

Usually they can't even pack 40grs away but I did have one go 30' with 100grs, bigger isn't always better. I kill a lot of them with 52grs in my 222 Rem. Having the right bullet and placement really helps a lot. In Vietnam doing control work on the base I had a dog take seven 55gr FMJ's before he went down, swapped my AR for a M-14 and things got better here bigger was better just because of bullet selection.

Originally Posted By: crapshootI'd like to see that coyote skinned out just to see where the hits were.
But yes, I've seen them take one to the heart and run for 300+ yrds. They can take a licking and keep on ticking.

We all know there aint much to a coyote. Skinned the widest part isnt much bigger than my forearm.

Wonder where the first couple hits actually connected?
I watch youtube cause Im to cheap to spend $100/mo for cable or sattelite. Guy shoots coyote and immediately it reaches for its flank, biting and spinning. They often shoot more. I just say "save the ammo, he is dead just dont know it yet."

I think the first shot hit just right of the left shoulder bone and ran down his side blowing his guts out. I think the second shot hit him in the tail-end. I'm pretty sure he would have died when he stopped if I hadn't shot him again. I was anxious since I was using the 223 instead of my usual 243 and I haven't had much opportunity to hunt with my wife sick.

Back