What scope for 338 lapua mag?

hoyot

I have a buddy that is building a 338 Lapua mag. What scope do you recommend for it? I have a 308 and a USO on it. I am completely happy with my USO but I don't know where to start on a 338.
Anybody with any suggestions?

Welcome aboard.

This doesn't sound like a calling rifle, LR maybe. I have no experience since the 60's and 70' and some of that was with receiver sights on an M-14.

Hopefully some of our members are into that kind or equipment and can help you.

If not I'd find a dedicated LR sight or thread for that info.

Accurate Shooter, Sniperhide or 24hrcampfire all have LR info. I hear NightForce, Us Optics(your brand), Swarovski and Hensoldt mentioned when talking LR.

Now predator hunting optics, equipment or tactics, this is the place.

Hopefully some of our members are into that kind or equipment and can help you.

Last edited:
For me at least, intended purpose and what/how the gun will be used dictates what scope I'd use or recommend.

Vortex make very good scope like Viper HS-T nice and retain zero and for the price you can't beat them.
There have an article written by Fred Hoffman on top 10 best scope for 338 Lapua Magnum available here, you may check the article.

Depending on budget: Nightforce ATACR 7-35x56 F1 or 5-25x56 F1, Vortex Razor Gen 2 4.5-27x56, S&B PMII 5-25x56 or even an XTRII or III. Can't go wrong with USO either.

It depends on budget and intended use of the rifle. I run a Nightforce NXS 3.5-15x50 on my 338LM, but will soon be switching to a Leupold Mark 5 HD 3.6-18x44 to save some weight and get a FFP reticle.

Originally Posted By: B23For me at least, intended purpose and what/how the gun will be used dictates what scope I'd use or recommend.

+1000,
What is he going to be using it for? Hunting, lowlight, mid range, long range, ELR?

Originally Posted By: erikc838Depending on budget: Nightforce ATACR 7-35x56 F1 or 5-25x56 F1, Vortex Razor Gen 2 4.5-27x56, S&B PMII 5-25x56 or even an XTRII or III. Can't go wrong with USO either.
What he said.

Anything with the name Nightforce, S&B, Kahles. Athlon on a budget. I am a fan of magnification as it can always be cranked back if you are dealing with mirage. FFP is nice but definitely not necessary. A LOT of used Nightforce NXS scopes around that will give outstanding performance and not kill your bank account.

Tell us a little more about your budget and intended use and we can better recommend something.

Budget and intended range/usage is going to determine glass. If he is the type to shoot a box and never touch it again, a $3000 Schmidt is a little bit wasteful. If he plans on shooting 1000+ yards every weekend, dailing for all his shots, then a higher end Vortex Razor HD Gen II, S&B PMII, Leupold Mark 5 or a Nightforce ATACR would all be good choices. I had a Nightforce NXS on my savage when I had a .338 and was unimpressed with the glass quality to say the least. I hear the ATACR's are leaps and bounds ahead. I have a Gen II Razor 4.5-27 for my precision rifle and am very happy with it.

Back