Redemption groundhog

AdamT

Went to a neighbors farm yesterday with my faithful Remington 700 chambered in .222 looking to shoot a groundhog or two. Spotted one in the field and estimated the yardage and sent a shot. I was holding to high due to misjudgment of the distance and saw the dirt fly just behind it. It happens and is why I normally take a rangefinder.

Went back today and was walking through the fields and pastures. Took along the same 222, my binoculars, and ever so handy rangefinder in my pocket this time. Crested a rolling hill and spotted a groundhog take out of the fence line into an adjacent pasture and seek refuge in a rock pile. I went into the prone position, ranged the yardage at 146, setup my rifle on the bipod, and began waiting and watching.

About 15 minutes passed and I see it’s nose peak out from behind a rock, then finally see it’s eyes. Was preparing for the shot and it tucked back into the safety of the rocks. I stayed behind the rifle and kept watching through the scope. About 25 minutes later, the nose and eye finally pops back out, followed by a head and full body. I waited and let it get fully in the open and squeezed off a shot. The smack of the vmax was the reassuring sound of redemption I was looking for.

50104973383_9da2ff1401_o_d.jpg

I've seen posts on GH shooting on this and numerous other forums and been envious. After your account of ground hog hunting I'm not all that envious... Now I'm impressed with your patience, I would have a hard time waiting like that.
Kudos you you guys!

Love it! Very nice rifle too, wish i would have never sold the .223 twin to it that i had. Killed many a'hogs waiting like that after they disappear. Patience is key when hunting groundhogs!

Back