Winchester M70 rebarrel

Rhett Steele

I have a .243 m70 lightweight. It has the pencil barrel and Not enough meat to thread for a suppressor. I've been thinking about putting an aftermarket barrel on it with threads.

What is a good barrel to get?

I'll need to get a new stock as well, What stock to get?

There's a bunch of great barrel makers out there today. I guess it depends on how much you want to spend and how quick you need it. Douglas will put a barrel on and get it back to you in a week or so and cost you around $500. Hart will put one on for you but wait time is about 7 months and about $6-700. Buying a blank and having it installed buy a smith might save a few dollars. Kinda Ford vs Chevy as far as brands. McMillan and Manners are top of the line as far as stocks go but on the flip side, Boyd's make a pretty nice laminate. Tons of choices for barrels and stocks. Only you and your check book can make the choice.

Kinda sad, I had a Model 70 Lightweight that I had to sell due to finances over 20 years ago. Loved it but understand the suppressor need.

$95 bucks to cut, crown and thread. Dropped it off yesterday afternoon along with 5 other rifles for thread jobs. Can't wait!! I'm like a kid before Christmas.

Originally Posted By: Rhett Steele$95 bucks to cut, crown and thread. Dropped it off yesterday afternoon along with 5 other rifles for thread jobs. Can't wait!! I'm like a kid before Christmas.

Pretty normal price for the job.... you'll get all 6 done for about the price of one factory rifle. Again a good choice...
thumbup1.gif

That's about right in there with what that kind of work cost.

Just make sure whoever is doing the threading is threading it to the thread spec your suppressor company recommends because it can potentially cause alignment problems if the threads aren't cut to their specific spec. I don't know about the others but I know TBAC has a certain spec on how they recommend the threads be cut. https://thunderbeastarms.com/tech/thread-specifications

It may be for nothing but I'd put a call in to whoever's suppressor you're using and make sure the person cutting your threads is doing it to their specs.

I'm assuming you've already shot this particular gun but if not I always make sure something shoots before I invest any money altering a factory barrel.

Last edited:
Back