Bad Powder and ruined ammo

Bowhntr6pt

IMR 4007SSC was discontinued and there was a recall years ago but my lot number were not part of it, or so I recall. After discovering a problem, some research, that I should have done years ago, seems all of it was recalled.

While cleaning the mancave I opened a can of .308 reloads that I used IMR 4007SSC and the cases were brown, tarnished, and the paper inside seemed moist. Obviously the ammo was ruined and corroded. Lost a couple hundred rounds of FMJ blasting ammo.

Pulled out some 6.5C that I loaded about six years ago, same signs of corrosion but not as bad. Just like some of the .308 cases, the necks were split where corroded.

On the cases with obvious corrosion the powder was clumped and the inside of the case was blue-green. When I pulled a few normal looking rounds, the bullets were hard to pull and they made a pop when they released, seems there was gas pressure inside the case. The bases the bullets were corroded and the inside of the cases were slightly discolored... not all but about half. Seems the safe bet is trash it all and move on.

Oh well...

Anyone experience such a thing? What did you do? Suggestions?

The "pop" may have been an electrolytic welding of the copper bullet to the brass rather than a gas buildup. Older WWI era .30-06 ammo used tinned bullet jackets that soldered themselves to the case neck and resulted in high pressure loads due to case neck seperations.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogCan you at least save the bullets? Maybe pull and tumble them???

The problem is the cases appear to be under pressure right now due to the deterioration of the powder. The warnings include the possibility of combustion and fire... so using a hammer style kinetic puller might be problematic and dangerous.

Because the bullets seem stuck more than the original crimp provided for, a collet style puller might not grip them enough.

Either way, the bases are in fact corroded and might impact accuracy if the jackets are actually eroded and compromised.

I'm not 100% sure, I'm waiting on a collet style puller. I'll try it and go from there.

I had loaded some 4007ssc a while back. With the recall & all, I shot them up best I could. I may have a few 22-250 loads left, not many.

Pulled all the bullets, most cases had corrosion inside and one case separated at the shoulder with the bullet still in the neck, seems the collet grabbed part of the neck but it came apart rather easily... a sure sign the case strength was compromised.

Put the bullets in some old media and they cleaned up good... will just shoot them later on for range fodder.

Tossed the cases after crushing them to prevent use, primers and powder.

Back