Looking to start Coyote hunting. Experience guys tell me what Must have's and what do not need

Rhino20

I am looking to start Coyote hunting in MN.
Those of you with experience, please tell me what basics I need and what I do not need.
I do have an AR 15 223 20" barrel and 3x9 scope. After that, what do I need to get my hands on?
Mono Pod,Bipod or Tripod?
What call? (lets not make this a Ford vs Chevy)
smile.gif

Night scope? If so recommendations.
I am sure I need more, if so what?
Thanks!

Last edited:
Reliable, accurate rifle and whatever call you have available (a $10 hand call will work). Everything else is gravy! Wear your normal hunting clothes and get out there. You will quickly learn what is (and isn't) necessary for your particular area. There is NO substitute for hours in the field experimenting and observing. Good luck.

P.S. Someday when I get really good I may buy myself some of the extra stuff on your list.
smile.gif

P.S.S. Watch the Custom Calls forum here for some outstanding custom hand calls.

Your rifle setup should work well enough to get started.

Calls: My preference (and only experience) is with Foxpro for e calls. I have more luck with and enjoy using hand calls however.

Next on the list, patience and persistence.

Good luck and most of all, enjoy the time afield regardless.

Knowledge is your most important tool.
Knowing coyote behaviour, vocalizations,and how to set up is by far the most important tool. If you understand that and implement them at every stand your rifle/ scope is less important.
Start off with a good sounding howler and rabbit distress. Then add a E caller if you feel you want too spend the money.
My must haves on a stand are.

Comfy seat with back support( 15$ stadium seat is more than adequate)

Hand calls ( I love diaphragm type but open or close reed designs work well too)

Rifle, scope

Shooting Sticks/ bipod

Coyote drag ( length of 550 cord with a loop or tee handle)

All good advice.. if you can find an experienced mentor.. huge plus..

Otherwise you'll just have to come on here.. Lol.

Lots of experience lurking around here,

No scent eliminator needed, use the wind to keep predators from smelling you as a coyotes nose is incredible.

I prefer a set of shooting sticks, easy to maneuver the weapon if the coyote comes in from the wrong direction.

Buy a couple of coyote hunting books, always good references, Spomer and Bodicker are good.

A lot of folks say that you need to hunt nights in MN but it is more of a learning curve and expensive, during daylight you can see when things go sideways, at night you might never know it happened.

Good luck

If it hasn't been said-save some gas and get a few good coyote hunting videos, watch the setups and even play some handcalls along with it.

Tony Tebbe has an excellent video out and he explains how to set up and why you setup certain ways. Just go to Predator University and all his stuff is there.

Good choice for rifle just make sure to get good ammo for coyotes. Next, get a bipod. Best in terms of maneuverability and stability. Start off with handcalls before you get a Foxpro. I liked the Primos Catnip to start out with. As for night hunting I don’t use a night scope just a handheld white spotlight. At a minimum I would also add a seat, Mojo Critter, and scent spray. As others said knowledge is a great tool. Read articles and watch videos. Learn to make a stand and read coyotes and you’ll start putting fur on the ground.

You're getting a lot of good advice from some experienced people on this site. I would add scouting for good locations. Make sure you have them in the area you plan to hunt. Also, at my age, a good seat is very important. I use a redneck blind chair, a little heavy, but it works great for me.

Carver hand calls and a set of shooting sticks.

To me tripods are to cumbersome. I don't use any scent control, just play the wind correctly and it won't matter. Use good woodsmanship, no slamming truck doors, talking, etc while slipping into a stand.

Make sure you hide the truck!

If I was you the first purchase I would make would be either a bipod or shooting sticks. There are benefits/drawbacks to each. The common benefit would be a rock solid rest. It is very discouraging to fool the coyote and have him come into your set within range and have a miss. I would also recommend practicing on the bipod or sticks to get use to them.

Cheap open reed hand call will work good to get you started on the calls. I would agree with the comments from above. Experience is the best teacher. Get out and make stands. Also there are great people in the industry that have videos you can learn from. Tony Tebbe and Geoff Neminich some great resources.

First legal trespass(private land) or public land that has coyote within calling range WHEN YOU ARE CALLING. 2nd don't try and learn how to call at night, see it all the time around the full moon. Guys go out setup near the vehicle. I see or find the tracks of coyote that came within range, were not seen and circled and got the vehicle/human scent. Gone. In ag areas coyote have travel corridors. They use them to check their territory, hunting. They will use them when responding to calls and bait, these can be 5 miles or more in length,especially in the winter. The more snowmobile and pickup activity the more likely coyote will use culverts(they probably will not come out to a call) or dens during the day, if brush,tall grasses or natural creek drainage aren't available. Know your firearm, sit in shadows, limit movement to when you are sure there are no coyote that can see you, watch the wind(sit so coyote have to show themselves within range to smell you). By mid winter if you stop your vehicle within view of a coyote, it's probably gone before you ever leave the road ditch and it will not come back to a call.

As mentioned before, set of sticks, and a chair of some sort. I've been running Stoney point sticks for a long time. Lightweight and easily adjustable. Also love slydog predator gear chair/pack. Having a solid backrest will greatly improve your accuracy when using sticks. And the seat is pretty comfortable as well...

^^^^Sticks are least expensive, especially if you enjoy making your own gear. Plastic coated steel tubing garden stakes from Lowe's work great. Sticks are,IMO, superior to bipods, especially in brush and high grass as they don't hang up on brush, making them easier to relocate side to side quickly. As stated above, the chair back further stabilizing the position approaches bench/sandbags accuracy.

35327293530_5f7e418b7a_n.jpg
34861987824_45235a1a26_n.jpg
35572605011_7ab68b0648_n.jpg
35703381665_18328148c3_n.jpg
35534422252_87512fdc0e_z.jpg

You can even add a bit of ghillie netting to enhance concealment, if you wish.

Add a call to your excellent choice of rifle and you're good to go, and welcome to PM.

Regards,
hm

Kinda a newbe here, for what its worth... I have a HS Turbo dog caller... it works... by buddy has a fox Pro... Its nicer... if you can, go that route.

For Equipment I agree your gn will be fine... Also I have loads of bipods, monopods, tripods, and I always, ALWAYS, go for my shooting sticks made out of a couple pieces of 3/4" square moulding and a 1/4 bolt with a nylock nut... Sprayed with some Camo paint... they were cheap. like $4 to male... and adjust to any height...

Then just got out there... you will start to think, Hmmm if I had a (blank) this would be nicer... or easier, or more comfortable..

Good land and time in it is the best...

Back