Handheld scanner or weapon mounted

wildcat18

Since PA is close to allowing thermals, I wondering what would be best to purchase, handheld scanner or weapon mounted site, because I can only afford one.

Currently using lights so the detection to identification to shoot process is somewhat intuitive. If I were to purchase scanner, would I then have to switch over to lights to identify and shoot.

Using a weapon mounted scope, no switch over would be necessary, but I think scanning with a weapon mounted scope would be cumbersome.

Maybe I'm complicating this because I've never used thermals.

Ideas and thoughts welcome.

You won't like scanning with a rifle. It will get old in a big hurry. Also, with lights you are somewhat camo'ed by the light and with thermal the predator will be more able to see your movement. That movement will be exaggerated by having to swing the rifle around. You could get something like a Hogster with a QR mount, find the heat source then attach the scope to shoot. Most likely you will own both scanner and scope before too long if you enjoy the sport.

You didn't actually say what your budget is for the thermal, but I would suggest you get the Hogster 35 and use it as a scanner if your budget allows plus get a digital NV scope to shoot with until you can save enough for a scanner. Then you can move the Hogster 35 permanently to the rifle.

As Weekender says and you already sense, scanning with the rifle even on a tripod while standing is going to get old. Seated is even worse. Using a thermal to scan is the best you can get, but going to lights to shoot is going to result in a lot of spooked predators (especially coyotes). So if you can afford both a thermal and digital NV that is the best you can do right now.

You could get the Hogster 25 and just make that your permanent scanner, and then save to get a thermal for the rifle. You could save almost enough that way to buy a digital NV scope for shooting.

I did forget the budget. It's around $4,000 and I'm probably another 6 months to a year away before I get that much. That's why I figure it will be a while until I can invest in additional items in those price ranges.

Scanning with a scope then mounting to rifle is a thought. I worry about too much movement.

Scanning with the scope and trying to put it on the rifle to shoot is a one way ticket to frustration especially on coyotes. You could probably get an Axion to scan with and a Hogster 35 to shoot with for right at $4,000 or you might run across a used Pulsar HD or XD 19 for about $1,500.

Please provide an idea of how far you need to be able to detect and shoot. For instance if you only need to see 300 yards and shoot to 100, my recommendation will be different than if you need to see them at 1 mile and shoot them at 300.

These yardages are kind of in-between. The Hogster 25 can surely see coyotes at this distance, and with PIP can make shots at this range, but it is starting to get outside of the comfortable range. I would probably recommend the Hogster 35, and it can be your weapon's sight or scanner.

As for attaching it and shooting, my .02 is this is OK if you have a lot of time. For instance, you spot some hogs, and then decide to stalk in and take a shot where you have time. With coyotes there is a high % of times, I barely have time to put the scanner down, to move to my gun. Trying to attach a scope in total darkness is a lot do in the heat of the moment. The other part is even if you get it mounted and on the right rail spot, where has the coyote or coyotes moved to in the meantime. It can be hard to re-acquire the target. The last point is it creates a lot of movement. Coyote eyesight is impaired some at night, but they still see way better than we can. I have had numerous people tell me they scan and attach and kill coyotes but I would struggle.

With a $4000 budget, start with the Hogster 35, and go from there. If you don't have a good tripod, you can get a Night Stalker from Night Goggles, and you are still under 3K. This leaves you with more than enough to go with digital NV and a good IR light, or save some more and get a 2nd thermal. For a little under 5K, you could get a Hogster 35 and 25.

Originally Posted By: wildcat18Since PA is close to allowing thermals, I wondering what would be best to purchase, handheld scanner or weapon mounted site, because I can only afford one.

Ideas and thoughts welcome.

I was in this same boat when I got started. I went with the Hogster 35mm thinking that I could use the quick release mount and scan, then put it on the weapon when I found something to shoot. But it doesn't work out too well in real world use. I could, at the range, remove, then reattach and shoot for groups and keep a 1"-1 1/2" group at 100 yards. However, trying to reattach your scope in the cold and dark of night when you have coyotes fast approaching, well lets just say it resembles a Chinese Fire Drill of sorts!

So now, I am saving for a scanner or trying to decide if I should opt for a Wraith 4k as my weapon sight and use the Hogster for scanning? If money were not a problem right now I'd probably go for a Phenom to scan with and be done with it.

For now, I'm scanning with my rifle, which is a pain to do. I have a sitting height bipod attached that I can put the legs together, and stick them into my front pocket while standing. This supports the rifle and I can scan 360 degrees if needed. However, I would rather be able to sit and scan with less movement so this does work but its a poor mans option.

Thanks for all the great info. I did a little more research and found I can buy a Super Hogster and a Wraith 4k with my budget. Does this sound like a good setup ?

I would think that will work out well, however, your close enough on budget to save just a bit more and get a thermal scanner & weapon sight. I'm thinking you'd be happier overall with both being thermal. But then I totally get what budgets can do to the picture as well.

Only reason I say that is when I've seen the vids of folks shooting with night vision, you see what wash out does, and how you lose track of the animal as soon as its eyes are not looking at you any more, ie.. after the first shot. Everything is give and take and you have to start somewhere. If you go that route just don't ever miss and you'll likely be happy with it.

I hunt in eastern Ohio in the hill country. I recently purchased a Pulsar CORE rifle sight and then a Pulsar Axion scanner. For my terrain and for the $ it’s a great combo. Your $4k budget would be just about right.

Originally Posted By: wildcat18Thanks for all the great info. I did a little more research and found I can buy a Super Hogster and a Wraith 4k with my budget. Does this sound like a good setup ? The Super Hogster although a great option as a thermal weapon's sight, wouldn't be as effective as a scanner for most coyote hunters. It comes down to FOV. 7.5° is fairly tight for a scanner. I would recommend the Hogster 35 if it will mainly be a scanner, and then the Wraith if you can't swing two thermals. After looking through the Hogster, it won't be long and you will be looking for thermal on your gun as well.

For calling coyotes, you typically want a scanner with a larger FOV than your weapon's sight. The terrain can help dictate how large of a FOV and how high of a magnification on your weapon's sight but some is personal preference.

Back