Please tell me I did not make a Big mistake!

jetman

I just ordered a Stoeger M3500 semi-auto.
Mostly for a coyotes. I got the waterfowl 28" barrel RT max 5 camo.
I ordered a "Stedygrip" pistol grip stock. It's drilled and tapped for a red dot, I think. It has just a simple red glow bead.
I reload coyote loads for the 870 that will kill and punch pellets through heave furred coyotes at 70 yards plus, LEAD "F" shot/ steel powder. In the 870 I use .669 extended ported choke tube. The stoeger come with tubes. All in shipped for $800.
????
Coments on the gun/set up?

Last edited:
Dont have one myself, but the system is proven, and the reviews generally say its not a Benelli fit and finish wise, but works fine....course you didnt pay for a benelli......let us know how it works. I have a Benelli, but have been looking hard at the cheaper inertia guns for a beater.

i have and use a stoeger 350 strictly for coyotes. going on 6 or 7 years now. mine has the 26" barrel. been very happy with it. have killed a bunch of coyotes with it.

i live where it is dry and dusty. just normal walking in the prairie will kick up a cloud of flour like dust. imagine what driving in that stuff is like.

that fine flour dust gets into everything. i do need to clean the action now and then and it works great. it will let you know when it needs cleaned.

My buddy shot one for a long time because he couldn't afford a Benelli and he swears by it even after owning a Benelli. He thinks it's the next best thing to having a Benelli. He's killed a lot of stuff with it so I can't say he's wrong it's proven itself to be a good gun.

For me a pistol grip on a shotgun would only slow me down. I have been shooting shotguns without pistol grips on them for right at 59 years.

I tried a optic sight on one of my shotguns about 3 years ago thinking it would help me in low light conditions.

I had to put a comb riser kit on my shotgun to get a good cheek weld to look through the sight. Even with the brightness turned down I couldn't see the coyotes in low light conditions because the sight was to bright.

One day I was hunting in the fog and had a coyote run right in on me and when I mounted the shotgun to shoot the coyote I couldn't see through the sight because of all the moisture on it.

In about 2 weeks I had 3 coyotes that got away that I am pretty sure I would have killed if I was using a shotgun without a optic sight on it.

I do like your choice of a 28" barrel waterfowl shotgun for hunting coyotes! The way I hunt coyotes with a shotgun a waterfowl shotgun works much better than a turkey shotgun would.

Is it a m350 or p350? I have heard of the m3500 or p350 but not m350. Anyway I own a m2000 (3" chamber semi auto) and have used for a long time with no issues

I owned a 26" m3500. Functioned flawlessly and I really enjoyed it. Glad to hear you might use a red dot etc mine did not pattern correctly off front bead so it got a red dot too. I only shot turkey,called coyotes and sometimes coons/crows. It was great

Also have had a M3000 turkey gun for several years,, with zero problems.
Got it a shorter barrel for upland birds, also zero problems.

Shotgun will work fine, but I'm not a Steadygrip fan. Slowed me down, and just felt awkward. I thought it would be like shooting an AR, but it wasn't. Slowed down reloads too. Maybe I just needed to practice with it more, but after two seasons I traded it.

I have an aftermarket stock and pistol grip on my 870 also.LOVE it. It makes me keep the barrel flat. I use it for everything from doves to swan to coyotes and slugs for deer.

I have the 3000 in 26"and use it primarily for ducks and geese. I am a very avid waterfowler and do not treat my guns nicely. They are often covered with mud, blood, and ice. The 3000 has never failed me.

I bought the 3000 just because I wanted a new gun after having a 2000 when they first came out. Very reliable gun but I had the same problem some other had when they first came out. The Modified choke is most likely in there for life. I don't mind because even with the modified, it has the tightest pattern that is really good for pass-shooting birds.

I really like Stoegers!

Moosetrot

Dang! I thought the auto part of an autoloader helped with recoil...
My new Stoeger will kick your BUTT.

I don't have the steady stock yet and just have the factory stock and recoil pad, and have not put in the recoil reducer that comes with the gun. It is just a steel weight that goes into the stock.
I'm shooting the same loads I do in the 870. The reason I put a pistol grip and limb saver on the 870 was the recoil. You just can't shoot the big goose loads 3" or 3 1/2" all day long, without it.
I have not weighed the Stoeger but lifting each it does feel lighter a little. I'm not ordering a limb saver yet till I get the other stock as to get the right one. I want to see if I can make the stock a little shorter too, that may make a difference in the size of the LS pad.
I'll try the "drop" shims too I think it may give a more head up feel when shouldering the gun.
I went out and tried it with a mix of shells 3 1/2, 3, 2 3/4, and 2 1/2s.
Light lead 7/8oz to 1 5/8oz coyote loads, and 1 1/4oz steel. All but the 2 1/2- 1/2oz loads cycled and fed great, even all mix in the same loading.
I got an extended ported "crematory" Carlson .690 choke tube and was shooting that. I was shooting a hunk of 11 gauge steel.
It was just a small peace like 8"x 6" but I was hitting it multiple times, 6 or 8 pellets at a time at 50 yards, and my lead F shot coyote loads mostly went all the way through, The BBB steel put a good dimple in it but would not go through. I am happy so far. When I have the stock off I'll see if I have room for a dead mule like I made for the 8mmRM. BY the way, the Stoeger kicks WAY harder then the 8 mag did before the Mule

Back