Any thoughts on the 5.56 Ruger American Ranch

NMCoyoteHunter01

Been wanting to pick one of these up for a minute. My idea is to have a short handy rifle to keep in the truck most of the time for side of the road prairie dogs, coyotes, and such and to have something light to carry for taking to stands this winter. Going to get the AR mag style because why not and put a 2-7 power scope on it. Should specify that I already own an AR-15 but don’t like shooting it from the truck and having brass flying around the cab.

Last edited:
Brother has the ranch with a 3x9 on it. Works good as a truck gun for him. He's in truck or tractor most of day. Shorter barrel is handy. I have the predator for a calling rifle. Little slower for a truck gun. Both are just as accurate with same shooter behind the trigger. Get the ranch. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

I have one or had one (just gave it to the kid) and it has been an awesome gun and very accurate. With Hornady 75gr it shot closer to 1/2 MOA @ 100 than it did MOA.

I did a few mods to it, namely the light timney trigger I put in it which always helps my shooting.

Went bang every time and it was quite handy with the shorter barrel.

Goo luck, I think you'll like it.

I had one that I dipped in Krypek Typhon. It was a handy, accurate rifle. You won't be disappointed.
35637748261_a9499547b4_b.jpg

I have the 300 BO and is a handy little rifle to have around. My 8 yr old deer hunts with it and it is easy to get out of window in my shooting house/deer blind.

I have the ranch in 5.56. I put it into an ICD chassis that uses the factory AR mag. It works flawlessly and points great. The only ammo I have been able to shoot out of it is HSM 55gr vmax factory reloads.. but they shoot right at 1 moa.
Definitely happy with it.. im sure some premium ammo will probably shoot even better once it becomes available again.
Its my new favorite gun. I've outfitted it with omega 300 suppressor and hogster 35 thermal scope.

Have 6.5cm RAP, 243 RAP and 22 mag RAR.
Like them for what they are, and am considering another RAP in 223.
Go for it !

Originally Posted By: JoeyJI had a ranch some time ago - wasn't very accurate at range but plenty good at 25/30 yards.

You can cure that flying brass problem fast by installing a Caldwell brass catcher. I used it for the 1st time this summer while shooting prairie dogs with an AR - worked good for my needs.
https://www.amazon.com/Caldwell-Resistant-Convenient-Picatinny-Collection/dp/B07FCRM3D9

The Ranch he is talking about is the bolt action.

Watching this close. Torn between trying the American Ranch or the TC Compass II Compact in 5.56/.223. Need a truck, tractor, UTV gun. Can’t seem to find either. Mags, trigger and twist say Ruger; 3 position safety and what looks like a wider flatter forearm say TC. Accuracy would trump all those leaners. Anybody have or have shot both?

Originally Posted By: SpidicusI've outfitted it with omega 300 suppressor and hogster 35 thermal scope.

Hey Spid - can you post a picture of the rifle and scope area? Am curious how you mounted the hogster on your bolt gun and getting it back far enough for it to be half way comfortable for shooting

TIA!

Originally Posted By: RRPP223Watching this close. Torn between trying the American Ranch or the TC Compass II Compact in 5.56/.223. Need a truck, tractor, UTV gun. Can’t seem to find either. Mags, trigger and twist say Ruger; 3 position safety and what looks like a wider flatter forearm say TC. Accuracy would trump all those leaners. Anybody have or have shot both?
Go with the Ruger, the TC Compass II trigger sucks. Plus their CS leaves a lot to be desired. TC says the Compass II trigger is between 3-4 pounds, which is BS. Mine out of the box was 5 pounds but with some dry firing it broke at 4.5 pounds. Had to send mine back for an extraction problem and asked them to lighten up the trigger. Got it back after almost 8 weeks with the extraction problem fixed and the trigger was still 4.5 pounds. Work order said they tried 6 different sears and still couldn't get it below 4 pounds. Thankfully Timney is in the process of developing a trigger for the compass.

Originally Posted By: liliysdadI don't care for either one, but having owned the Rugers, and been around several Compasses...I would take the TC every time.

have you messed with any trigger adjustment on the compass? I have tinkered with one i just got and 5# is as low as it goes. going to order a spring today and try that option.

Originally Posted By: Rhett SteeleOriginally Posted By: liliysdadI don't care for either one, but having owned the Rugers, and been around several Compasses...I would take the TC every time.

have you messed with any trigger adjustment on the compass? I have tinkered with one i just got and 5# is as low as it goes. going to order a spring today and try that option.

The first Gen Compass trigger can easily be fixed by replacing the spring. It brought my grandson's .308 down to 2.5 pounds. Now the Gen 2 trigger is a different story. T/C says it comes from the factory at between 3 and 4 pounds which is BS. My 7mm mag came at 4.5 pounds and I sent it back and they couldn't get the pull down to where they say it will be. Got it back and was 4.5 pounds just like when I sent it in. Work order says they tried 5-6 different sears and still didn't get it 4 pounds or below. I did contact Timney and was told they are in the R&D of of a replacement trigger. That was good news to me.

Back