Has anyone built a .300 Ham'r??

boogercounty

I had a stripped lower gathering dust, so when I started reading about the 300 Ham'r, I was interested.
I ordered a complete upper from Patriot Arms, in Georgia. I bought the lower kit, buttstock, and bolt assembly from a local shop.
After assembly, I had a hard time finding loading supplies, but managed to come up with CFEBLK powder, CCI primers, and Sierra 125 grain Spitzers. I had ordered 100 new brass from Wilson Combat, the people who developed this cartridge.
It's been so hot lately that I haven't been able to really shoot for group, but i am getting 5 rounds in an inch @100yds.
I am expecting good things from this rifle, i.e., deer and hogs.
Another benefit from this cartridge, is that I can make my brass from .223 brass. Just a trim, resize through the 300 Ham'r die, finish trim, and perfect brass!!

A guy at my club has one. Thats about all I know other than he leaves his brass in the trash. I use to pick it up but don't even do that now. It really doesn't interest me much. Sorry, no help here.

I had a lot of interest in that cartridge when it came out. I just can't seem to get off the 223 REM train though... Just the thought of all new powders, bullets, magazines and reloading equipment is a little overwhelming as my life is already so dang busy.

It is all i can do to stay on top of the things that i have already. Someday i would like to get one of those.

I do have a 30-30 Marlin lever gun that shoots 170gr FN bullets just fine though.

i had considered one for a while, but i already had 2 blackouts when it was launched and unlike the blackout its more of a one trick pony (supersonic only). in that realm it has a beautiful hunting niche and its data seems to support that it will kill effectively.

its SAAMI now, so factory spec ammo should be more commonly available, but tbh i think its gonna be a cartridge that doenst really stand the test of time because of its relative lack of versatility and product availability

and i believe that primarily because of the legend being launched how it was and its 48 state hunting usage. i mean.. i've never seen HAMR ammo on the shelf anywhere, but i walked into walmart last night and they had 3 different variety of legend ammo on the shelf - even after the big ammo purge recently - and the fmj was just over $9/box out the door (3 boxes was $27.xx. the other two variety's (150 and 180gr i think they were, hunting ammo, were around $20/box) even cabela's has offerings under $20/box.

availability and price are a concern to a lot of folks. you sure cant pick Ham'R off the shelf at cabela's or b@$$pro.

besides wilson comabt, the only place i see you can only get hamr from is target sports right now (according to ammoseek.com anyway) and its $1.50/squeeze.

wilson has ammo as cheap as $16/20 & $152/200 ($0.76 per) right now and upwards from there. $1-$1.50/per is about the rate for most of their stuff....

just stuff to consider.

Remember the Olympic 300 OSSM, unfortunately it did not make it. I had one was a great idea, not accurate enough for a target weapon, but good enough to hunt with. Oly dropped it? The Ham'r looks interesting. I have to agree about being proprietary cartridge. You probably won't find any on the shelf and how long will it be out there.

Last edited:
To me, speaking from NO experience with the Ham'r. Its a little more than the BO and not quite a 308. Just don't see the need for it. But I feel about the same about the BO. Now the Legend, kinda peaks my interest. Not enough to buy or build yet but its interesting. I think in a single shot like a low wall it would be pretty cool. Why?????????

ya... its impressive... 2325 fps-1800 ft/lbs for a 150gr bullet fired from the ar-15 platform out of a straight wall cartridge... that's [beeep] near 30-30 numbers.

and just above where a bullet from the HAM'r of the same weight comes in at (#30303 150 sst, 2275 fps-1724 ft/lbs ) based on wilson's load data anyway.

and unfortunately the ham'r isnt 48 state hunting legal (same issue the 30-30 has)

with a 165 ftx in the legend running 2300fps-1938 ft/lbs (hornady load data) that puts us in the territory of more energy than the 150gr 3030 load and faster than the 170gr 3030 loadings

Back