Vintage BLACK Circe Predator Call

outdoor writer

This call was given to me by Jack Cain, the original maker of Circe calls. I can't recall the exact year, but it was the late '60s/early '70s, I think.

I've used it sparingly over the years to call in a few yotes, two bobcats and a black bear. It sounds just as good and as loud now as it did when it was new. I've googled for hours and can't find a black one like this anywhere online. All I found was the original wood type and the green polymer ones.

Anyone else here have one?

circe2.jpg.0c5d13faea81320fc68d7414b8e7733b.jpg

I don’t think I’ve ever saw a black one either. Maybe it was a prototype or first production considering the way you acquired it. Very nice call though. I’d hang on to it, but if you don’t want it, let me know.
thumbup1.gif

Originally Posted By: GRIZZLYONEI believe I have a black and a Red Circe new in the box in my drawer.

Same model as mine? I think they also made one called "Trophy." Though black, it was longer than mine.

Originally Posted By: AdamTI don’t think I’ve ever saw a black one either. Maybe it was a prototype or first production considering the way you acquired it. Very nice call though. I’d hang on to it, but if you don’t want it, let me know.
thumbup1.gif

Another thing I've noticed is the label position. Most early Circe calls seems to have it wrapped spiral fashion. The label on mine and a couple green ones I've found is straight along the barrel.

Originally Posted By: outdoor writerActually, I do have it listed for sale on a couple of sites. But I'm still curious about it.
What kinda price do you have on it?

Yep, just looked in my drawer. I have both red and black plastic Circe calls new in box and several original wood Circe new in box with the string laynard Circe included with these calls.
Nope..

Originally Posted By: ohioyotehntrOriginally Posted By: outdoor writerActually, I do have it listed for sale on a couple of sites. But I'm still curious about it.
What kinda price do you have on it?

$50 or $60 shipped priority mail

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GRIZZLYONEYep, just looked in my drawer. I have both red and black plastic Circe calls new in box and several original wood Circe new in box with the string laynard Circe included with these calls.
Nope..

Sounds like a nice collection. I don't believe I've ever seen a red Circe predator call.

Seen white ones also. Buddy has one. I think I found the black one on ebay and the red one sitting on a table at a gun show a long time ago.

Originally Posted By: GRIZZLYONESeen white ones also. Buddy has one. I think I found the black one on ebay and the red one sitting on a table at a gun show a long time ago.

Cool. Got a photo of the red one?

Originally Posted By: GRIZZLYONEWill post photos of both the black and red soon as I sort out my central air condition issue. Always something.

Great. I'll be looking for them.

I had a central AC problem two weeks ago. Needed a new coil.

Wow, those are indeed cool. The wooden call has to be right up there with the first ones produced.

What I find somewhat weird is how the stick-on labels were seemingly helter-skelter. Your two and mine are all different. So far, I haven't found another one with the label straight along the barrel.

The black one you have was called the Blackjack model. It was of course voiced in Jackrabbit. The white version is voiced in Cottontail. Data from "Predator Calls, the first 50 years"

From the book. "The red one was originally produced for Timothy Ball as a coon call (Coon Squaller). Red was so appealing that Circe felt the need to also sell a few with their own labels" Plastic calls were introduced in 1970 with the other colors added after that. In reviewing the book the red call was made for the Timothy Ball company in the 1990's. That would mean the red Circe should be from that era as well. This is not for certain, I'm guessing from what I read in the book. The wooden Circe call, in jackrabbit is a second generation call as evidenced by the yellow Bobcat and background on the label. I'm guessing if you look inside it has a straight barrel. Circe's first calls were in 1958. I'm guessing 1960's on your wooden one. Beautiful calls.

Last edited:
Back