Baiting

Thanks for the compliments. I was fairly confident that I would get a full body view of it eventually when it left. But then after a while i started to worry that it might not stop for me where it would be in view so i finally decided to go for the head shot if it gave me a good opportunity....and then it did =)

Good job there CT. Boy, that was a difficult one, with it’s head bobbing up and down.

What scope did you use? I noticed it switching from black/white to color. Is that a home-made outfit? What distance and time of day was it?

Yes, Good job CT..More patience than I would of had for sure..

Nothing but possums Burnsome.. I think the reason is I got to many free roaming bunnies and they are easy pickings..Dan

Well if they are not hungry maybe some Caven coyote and bobcat lure might bring them around.. Had some left over from last year along with other lures from other makers but will try the Cavens..Had about an ounce left so just used it all on a rock..Will see.. Dan

Wednesday night was the beginning of the new season for me. This young male coyote had hit the bait for two consecutive nights, so I stayed at the cabin in hopes of his return. He had been coming around 8:30 PM or so, but this time he showed up before daylight around 6:10 AM the next morning. Just goes to show you can't always predict what they will do.

My sensors were giving false alarms throughout the night, crying wolf as a friend said. The sensor would go off and I would get out of bed and check, only to find nothing there. Finally after losing quite a bit of sleep during the night, I decided to not respond to only one series of beeps, but rather to check if the sensor did two or more series. Early in the morning the sensor made one round of beeps so I stayed in bed. Shortly after I heard what sounded like two coyotes yipping out in the field near the cabin and bait area. That got my attention.

Once I turned on the thermal I immediately saw a coyote in the field above the bait site and at Probably 65-70 yards. It was standing broadside when I first saw it, but turned and started trotting toward my direction. I dropped it at 60 yards + from my new 6.5 Grendel upper, shooting a 100 gr. Sierra HP. That round hit hard. It was the young male that had been visiting the bait site.

To start the evening off, I arrived at the cabin early to get setup and button down the hatch before dark. It came a light rain and a beautiful rainbow gave me a wonderful surprise and really added to the whole experience.

50305928087_626e6cfec1_b.jpg

50305090058_377d85ebe4_b.jpg

I retrieved the coyote later in the morning after daylight.

50305777456_8b346c8556_b.jpg

50305777411_5058c9366b_b.jpg

The bullet entered just in front of the left front shoulder and exited on the opposite side further back. The exit wound was pretty small, no real damage
but he was squishy inside. Can't predict how this bullet is going to do just yet, but hope to have more opportunities later on to draw some conclusions.

50305777396_2c2f77b6ea_b.jpg

50305777376_7751a566bd_b.jpg

This is the new Grendel upper on my old DPMS lower. The thermal scope is the now discontinued Pulsar Apex XQ38. I took the shot on the base magnification of 2.2x.
The Grendel has a 20" barrel. The upper is a Bear Creek Arsenal upper that is performing well so far. I have a D-Lock mount on the Pulsar that gives good return to zero
when removed and replaced.

50305089948_615f68c631_b.jpg

50305928002_45f964f179_b.jpg

I have a mini DVR attached to the left side of the scope. I am using the Black Box DVR from Hobby Wireless.

50305927992_9d3493f4d3_b.jpg

50305089908_a552f77557_b.jpg

This is my first coyote with the new Grendel upper, and also the first with my thermal scope. I got a short video of the thermal / Grendel kill, but the video
is pretty short. After I dropped the coyote I quickly panned around, hoping to see another coyote. I may wait until hopefully another kill or two to add
the video to make it more interesting. The humidity was at 95% as well, but still the imagine was not too bad, plenty good enough to drop this one.

This young male has been coming around behind my place for about 4-6 weeks now. Wasnt until last night he made a mistake by showing up when I was out. About a 70 yard shot. 60gr VMAX did an excellent job this time. I believe its the third male that I've knocked out that has been hanging with the same female. She's smart...wont show up anywhere at the bait pile as she's learned not to based on what happens to her boyfriends.

[video:youtube][/video]

AEWs1dD.jpg

Good job Burn, though just like a woman to get a man in trouble. The 60 V-Max has worked well for me on the limited ones I’ve taken with it.

Saturday night I had more success. A young male coyote had hit the bait the previous night, so I stayed at the cabin, hoping for a return. He showed up early in the night around 9:25 PM. Once again I used the thermal and the 6.5 Grendel.

I had baited up high on the hillside near the edge of the hay field and the entrance to the bait site. I place sensors up high near the border and angled just slightly toward the field so that any coyote skirting the edge would get triggered.

The 100 gr. Sierra HP hit perfectly where I aimed and exited out the opposite shoulder bone, causing a fairly large exit wound. The now-discontinued Pulsar Apex XQ38 continues to hold zero well. This coyote was about 50-55 yards when I shot. He jumped and ran down through the tall grass that is between the cabin and bait site, falling about half way down the hill. At first I thought I had made a marginal shot since so many others just hit the dirt, but after inspection I found that the bullet had impacted exactly where the crosshair was aimed. Sometimes they don't drop as we would expect them to.

Pulsar Apex XQ38 on a 20" BCA 6.5 Grendel upper and a DPMS lower with a 2-stage trigger.

50305089948_615f68c631_b.jpg

The first two photos show the grass between the cabin and bait area. The upper arrow is where the coyote was standing when shot and the lower arrow
where he finally came to rest in the tall grass.

50369322261_f6569bc41c_b.jpg
[/url]

50369484477_39c4abf933_b.jpg

50368619073_66da1a6509_b.jpg

You can see the bullet entrance just behind the right shoulder. I didn't post the exit due to PM rules.

50368619033_dfe925479e_b.jpg

Here's the video, and also near the end is the last coyote I got earlier this month. I didn't post it earlier due to it being short. So far two coyotes have
dropped this month to the Grendel and thermal.

Back