Recommendations for .223 coyote scope

Rhino20

New guy looking to get into the AR platform and start coyote hunting, (along with varmints ect)
What should lead my thought process?
What would be quality scope options to consider?
Thanks

I guess it really has to do with how and what your hunting, if your calling coyotes in forested areas or thick cover a 1-4x20 thru 2.5-whatever work well, I like to have at least a 40' FOV on the bottom end and keep it there until I need more X's.

Shooting open country for coyotes is a different game, and throw in colony varmints with the same rifle and a 4-16 thru 6-24 would not be out of the question.

I like 1-4x20mm scopes on my combo rifles, great for close in stuff with the shotgun barrel and still 300 yard capable with the rifle barrel. On my AR and bolt actions for calling coyotes a 1.5-6x4?mm scopes. I have a couple of longer range rigs and they wear 2.5-10x40mm and 2-12x4?mm scopes.

I'm not brand conscious and am shooting Leupold, Burris, Weaver, Konus and Athlon scopes. I would stay away from any brands bottom end scope but I haven't found that I have any need for top tier scopes to kill coyotes. I find the simpler the scope is the better it is on a coyote stand.

Good luck with your selection, remember picking a scope is easier than picking a wife, you can always sell the scope if it doesn't work for you.

Money/cost will probably be your deciding factor.

If you think you'll be walking some - a scoped AR is somewhat a pita relative to carrying. I would recommend looking at red dots - the 2 moa variety. I use a 1-8x24 Burris 5% of the time and the micro T-1 aimpoint 2 moa red dot 95% of the time.

I mount the scope on my AR when I think I'm probably going to be shooting 300+ yards and "need" to better identify my target. I rarely shoot 300+ yards and when I do - I rarely hit what I shoot at with my 1st shot.
crazy.gif

Accuracy wise, the micro red dots will be just as accurate as a 2X scope in the average shooters hands out to 50 yards and after that distance, your group size will open up to minute of coyote.

I have had great luck with the Redfield 2x7 scope. It has great glass, warranty and price. Also made here in the USA.

I have no problems doing load development, and target work at 300 yards with this scope at 7 power.

Here

It is and excellent scope that is light weight, durable and inexpensive.

Originally Posted By: Rhino20I live in SE MN, Bluff country so not really long range shooting, I suspect. Would a 3x9 be a quality choice?

can't really go wrong with a 3x9. there is a reason that variable power 3-9 out sales all the others.

I vote for a 2x7 or a 3x9 variable depending on the terrain you plan to hunt. Quality.. to me this means something along the lines of a Zeiss or Leupold. Both have very good glass and internal components at a $300.00-$400.00 price point. Of course used you can do better. You want a good warranty behind your optic. Oh, and a quality one piece AR mount too. Not mentioned, a quality trigger. Good luck.

Last edited:
I have killed a bunch of critters, not just coyotes and bobcats with a regular ole 3x9x40 scope. A plain old Leupold vx11 or better has worked for years.

Back