AR prices

pyscodog

I was in a local store today and chatting with the owner. I ask about an entry level rifle then said no, whats the cheapest AR you sell. He replied that this certain rifle used to be $549 but now with the crunch on parts its now $749. Wow, inflation. Are Ar parts getting hard to get and prices going out of sight again? I'm not an AR guy so I don't keep up on prices.

Yes pretty much. I ordered a new 6.8 barrel from WOA. I wanted an 18” and it was out of stock and I was looking at 6-8 weeks lead time, but they had the 20” length in stock ready to ship. I’ve had a 20” 6.8 and a 22” 204 before and currently have a 22” in 22 Nosler. Being on the taller side with longer arms the +2” of length doesn’t really bother me, especially just using a thread protector or crowned muzzle. It won’t gain much FPS, but what it does gain won’t hurt. I’m having a heck of a time finding the free float tube I want. Granted I’m looking for a specific one, but most other items seem to be out of stock and the used market seems to be asking premium prices. I’ve looked at other options for a free float tube and keep finding the out of stock message at all the vendors I know to check. I was able to find the 3lb single stage trigger I was wanting for another rifle at one site, everywhere else was out of stock. Another reason I went forward with the 20” version, a lot can change in 6-8 weeks in this current political climate. Bad timing to be trying to finish out projects or buy an AR. Ammo is about the same way, through the roof!

The same guy I was talking to said that at the last gun show in Tulsa, the prices were going up considerably over what they use to be. I went in a local pawn shop that usually has several handguns and they had three. Things are getting crazy again.

Originally Posted By: BrianIDSimple supply and demand. Right now isn't a great time to get a good price on guns or ammo.
Correct. Even reloading components are somewhat scarce. There have been several component shortages in the recent past which should be an object lesson to everyone to stock up at least a sane amount of components when the supply situation is normal.

Cheap parts are definitely all bought up. All that's left is the overpriced stuff. I knew things would never be cheaper than they were last year so I pretty much stocked up. It seemed like the sensible thing to do in this up and down pattern we see.

Last edited:
We all know what we should have done. LOL seems I bought more guns than reloading supplies. Now I don't have enough room for either. Most reloading stuff is still somewhat available around here as of now. But its not getting better yet.

Yep, the stupidity started with the COVID scare about the end of March, beginning of April. The 20” 243 BCA upper I bought at the end of March for $289 is $459 now...and I believe they are out of stock. Most of their AR10 uppers that were $300 are now $450/$550. Let the games begin. Good thing I need another gun like a hole in the head. I ran out of h4895 and Varget a few weeks back. I spent $40 each On two one pound Containers of varget and a pound of h4895 was $36.99. Pucker up! I will not be buying anything else till next summer when the election is over and thing get back to normal. I read that most manufactures aren’t going to do what they did the last election when everyone thought Hillary had in the bag. So the AR manufactures started over producing ARs and AR parts thinking they were going make a quick killing on all the last minute panic buyers. By being greedy try to gouge us consumers and they ALL got stuck with tons of inventory. The whole reason ARs have been so cheap the last couple of years. I’m sure everyone remembers the last gouging when AR panic buying was going on. I remember there were a tons of retailers selling Oracles for $1500 and Remington branded ARs for $2500. ..and people were buying them. Lol

I forgot a paid $5 per 100 Remington 9 1/2 primers the other day when I bought my powder. Bought three hundred. They will last me till the price and supply and demand goes down. I started casting bullets a few years back so I don’t have to worry about jacketed ammo accept for my predator rigs. I have a couple of tons of lead and the molds are $25 to a $100 each and your in business.

Last edited:
Back