Coyote pup while hunting hogs.

JTPinTX

Custom Call Maker
I didn't call this pup. I was out looking for hogs in the peanut fields and walked up on him. I thought it was a pretty cool video with him out in all the deer like that. Most of the deer weren't concerned with the shot at all. 6.5 Grendel with a 95 VMAX, shooting through a Silencerco Omega.

I took a different video just of the deer to send to the lease hunters. There are a couple of pretty dang good bucks in that bachelor herd. That is my brother-in-laws place. He has it leased to a group of serious bowhunters from down state. I just do predator/hog control out there. Here within about 2 weeks I will stop for the year on that property since bow season opens Oct 1. Then I won't go back out there until after the first of the year.

Kirsh, what is really strange is the ones right out in front where I was shooting didn't spook very bad, but all the ones to the sides and behind me did. Pretty much all of them blew out of the field as soon as I shot. I've been trying to figure out why they spooked but the ones in front didn't.

I have been told that a suppressed shot confuses animals as they can't figure out where the shot comes from. I am sure there is some science behind it, but my guess is these animals didn't realize the shot was close. The others maybe heard the echo or something like that.

Last month while prairie dog shooting in the SW corner of ND, a coyote pup (looked to be about 3 weeks old and still nursing) pops out of the grass about 30 yards from 3 of us and takes a hard look at us. My 14 yoa grandson asked to shoot it - I told him to look the pup over real good with his binos and make his decision - he advised the pup looked like his dog when a puppy and passed on the shot - that pup will bring a decent price to someone this winter or sometime in the future if he doesn't get any smarter.
smile.gif

When I was 14, I would have shot it - now, I let a lot of critters see another day depending upon their species. Age can do that to some of use that have seen a little killing in our time.

I learned long time ago never to debate ethics on hunting forums. Nobody changes their mind, and everyone just gets pissed off.

I hope you didn't take my post to be concerned about ethics. I'll kill a prairie dog old enough to stick his head up. Just didn't fell like killing a pup that day. My grandson did but changed his mind, which was his choice.

I really never understood the term humane kill - or taking a humane shot.

No sir, ethics for me anyway has no place in the killing fields.

That's cool, we are good.

Man, I've just seen so many of those debates kick off when someone says one thing, another takes it wrong, and next thing you know it gets way blown out. Lots of folks get wrapped really tight about so it is one of the subjects I just really try to stay out of.

Out there where I killed that one is family land. My son and brother in law farm/ranch it. I can kill that pup now with easy opportunity, or I can try and kill it later when it is causing problems. Our fur isn't any good anyways so might as well get it done now, lol. That way I don't disturb the lease hunters during deer season.

But that situation is different from yours, and you did the right thing by having your grandson think about why he was doing what he was doing. I am a firm believer that if you are going to kill something you need to be clear in your own mind about your reasons. You and I are older and have a lot of experience and kills under our belt. Younger hunters especially while they are learning need to form their own knowledge base. My boys are grown now, but my daughter is 12. She has been hunting with me since she was 5. Killed her first deer at 6. I have always let her make her own decisions about what she was shooting, but also try to make sure she thinks about the decision before she does it. It has made her a stronger hunter and better person.

Ya, we're on the same page - thanks for the thoughtful post. I probably should have kept that little tidbit to myself instead of posting, as I added nothing to your original post.

Nah, you are fine. No worries.

Kirsh-I think that especially from the front side a suppressed shot has a confusing sound that is hard to pinpoint. I have had multiple coyotes run at me when either a shot missed and struck behind them, or I shoot the further out coyote of a pair and the closer one runs towards me. Perhaps it is because the sound of the bullet strike or sonic crack is louder to the animal than the muzzle blast since it is closer to them. IDK. It does seem to happen mainly when the shot is further out, say 125 yards or more. I have never had that happen on a shot under 75 yards. Most of the sounders of pigs I shoot I start out pretty close. They always run after the first shot, and usually in whatever direction they are pointed when it starts.

Last edited:
Back