Bering Optics Customer Service

1lobo

I just had a really good experience with Bering Optics customer service. I sent my Hogster 35 in for the software upgrade and they did the upgrade and turned it the same day. I had just checked tracking and saw that it had been received when the phone rang with the tech calling to make sure of what I wanted done. The lady that did the work repackaged my scope and had it on it's way back shortly after. She was really nice and showed a lot of knowledge about the product. I got the scope back and put it right to work. I'm really liking that I can save the PIP in the setup and have it come up when I turn the scope on. I've killed a few coyotes and some other critters with that scope and can't seem to get along without it as a scanner now. I sure am pleased with the product and the service. I still use my Apex XQ 50 as my main scope, but the Hogster is an excellent scanner and back up scope that sometimes get's used as a spare. I hope to put it to good use in the coming season.

Last edited:
That’s good to hear. I’ve been debating whether to send mine in or not, I really see no reason to since I don’t use pip.

Originally Posted By: Rookietjx2Is that the only advantage of the update?

Originally Posted By: Kirsch

I had one of the first Hogsters ever released, so mine probably received more changes than most. Things that I know changed:

1) Standby Mode Added
2) Picture In Picture Saves On Power Down
3) Stadiametric Rangefinder Added
4) Battery Meter Update To Better Reflect Accurate Battery Status

Besides this, Boris from Bering just said due to the age of my Hogster, I may see image improvements as well. I don't know any more details than this. The Hogsters were tested for a long time, so there really hasn't been much to change since their release.

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...889#Post3248889

Last edited:
Thank you. I'll wait. For me, it doesn't really improve anything since I use mine at 50 yards and closer. If their next update improves the reticles, I'll send it in.

It is nice to hear confirmation of good customer service though. I emailed them about rechargeable batteries, and they quickly replied. Their answer was confusing - they would prefer not using rechargeable batteries but their website says they can be used. As long as it doesn't affect my warranty, I prefer to use them.

Last edited:
I will add 2 more things that changed in my update:

1) Standby Mode Added
5) Manual or Automatic NUC setting
6) Auto NUC engages more frequently than it used to

I added 5 and 6. I can tell you it is very noticeable that my Hogster Nucs more frequently than it used to since the update. I asked Bering about it and they said this helped keep the image quality consistent. It reminded me of early reports by a user who told me the image was good at first and then seemed to get worse as the night progressed. I assumed it was increased humidity, but it may have been the Hogster needed to NUC. A person can manually NUC the Hogster to clean up the image as well.

Originally Posted By: Rookietjx2I emailed them about rechargeable batteries, and they quickly replied. Their answer was confusing - they would prefer not using rechargeable batteries but their website says they can be used. As long as it doesn't affect my warranty, I prefer to use them. The Hogster's circuitry is designed to handle 3.7V rechargeables. However, the batteries may not be providing 3.7V as some may provide 4V+. Many of the chargers tend to overcharge the batteries, and then you add the recoil of a weapon to the mix. This is why they say the Hogster can operate with rechargeable batteries but it is not recommended. There is no organization monitoring these rechargeables to make sure they follow an exact standard.

As far as warranty, if you have a warranty issue with the Hogster that is not battery related, they will cover it. If your rechargeables leak, explode, or catch on fire and it causes damage to the Hogster, they will attempt to fix, but it will be charged to the customer. Bering told me as of yet, they hadn't had any warranty claims on Hogsters due to rechargeables but have had some instances on their various other NV products.

Originally Posted By: Rookietjx2If their next update improves the reticles, I'll send it in. Per a recent conversation with Bering optics, there are no planned changes to Hogster firmware at this time.

That makes sense, thank you. As far as batteries causing damage, I completely agree with their stance, and I wouldn't have an issue with their refusal to warranty something that was beyond their control. My concern was them using rechargeable batteries as an excuse to deny warranty no matter what the issue was. I'm not saying they would do that, and I haven't seen any rumors of it happening, but it was what had me a little nervous.

No, I didn't receive a new cable. Didn't ask for one so maybe that would make a difference. I don't record anything so I wouldn't need it anyway. I've got mine rigged up with a switch and an aux. battery much like the setup that Kirsch uses and that's enough wires hanging around for me. Ha! It's a nice setup and I do appreciate what Kirsch has done to share his improvements.

It seemed to me that my scope enjoyed some improved clarity when I got it back. I wasn't sure that I was remembering how it was before I sent it, but it seemed improved to me. It always was good though, especially in humid conditions.

Originally Posted By: 1loboI just had a really good experience with Bering Optics customer service. I sent my Hogster 35 in for the software upgrade and they did the upgrade and turned it the same day. Thanks for sharing your experience. I have also been impressed with all of my dealings with them. They answer their phones and emails quickly.

Originally Posted By: 1loboI've killed a few coyotes and some other critters with that scope and can't seem to get along without it as a scanner now.I 100% agree. I would be lost with a Hogster of some kind in my night hunting setup.

Originally Posted By: KirschOriginally Posted By: Rookietjx2If their next update improves the reticles, I'll send it in. Per a recent conversation with Bering optics, there are no planned changes to Hogster firmware at this time.

It's not a big deal to me. The current reticles are usable, so I have no complaints.

Thank you for keeping everyone up to date.

Originally Posted By: 1loboNo, I didn't receive a new cable. Didn't ask for one so maybe that would make a difference. I don't record anything so I wouldn't need it anyway. Bering has two different cables. The early video/power cable had a straight UBC-C connector that plugs into the Hogster. This cable worked fine but when running power from a battery pack and recording, it caused interference. They now have a new cable with a 90 degree USB-C connector and this one fixes that issue. If you record via DVR with the Hogster, I would contact Bering if you have the original cable.

Originally Posted By: 1loboIt seemed to me that my scope enjoyed some improved clarity when I got it back. I wasn't sure that I was remembering how it was before I sent it, but it seemed improved to me. It always was good though, especially in humid conditions. Bering did indicate to me they anticipated potential image improvements in mine since I had such an early version, so it is very possible there was improvement.

I really need to get one of these units.

Whats the battery life and are you guys running some kind of external battery packs?

If running externals, I'd appreciate hearing about the details getting that set up.

Would primarily be used as a scanner for now, but want to be able to run it on a rifle when I get up to Montana in November this year.

Thanks

Originally Posted By: Burnsome...Whats the battery life and are you guys running some kind of external battery packs?Roughly 2.5 hrs on rechargeable 123, 4 hrs with standard 123s, and battery pack depends on mAh of battery pack. The TRB from Night Goggles runs it for more than 10 hours.

Originally Posted By: Burnsome...If running externals, I'd appreciate hearing about the details getting that set up. It comes with a USB cord but it is a dual power/video cord. You can get virtually any USB-C cable of the desired length on Amazon.

If you are running it on a rifle, the TRB mentioned earlier has a picatinny rail connection so it can be mounted on a gun where desired. If you want to use your own 5V battery pack, some people ziptie it to their stock or use a pouch of some kind.

If running it as a scanner, you can put the pack in your pocket or put in on a tripod leg. Another option is a selfie stick with a built in battery. You will need a GoPro to Picatinny adapter to make this work.

Originally Posted By: KirschI will add 2 more things that changed in my update:

1) Standby Mode Added
5) Manual or Automatic NUC setting
6) Auto NUC engages more frequently than it used to

I added 5 and 6. I can tell you it is very noticeable that my Hogster Nucs more frequently than it used to since the update. I asked Bering about it and they said this helped keep the image quality consistent. It reminded me of early reports by a user who told me the image was good at first and then seemed to get worse as the night progressed. I assumed it was increased humidity, but it may have been the Hogster needed to NUC. A person can manually NUC the Hogster to clean up the image as well.

Is there a way to turn standby mode off?

OP, what was the total time it took you to mail it to Bering and to get it back in your hands? I just bought my hogster back in April.

I also just found out that PA is allowing NV/thermal for hunting, which shocked me.

Back