Leupold Mark 5

I have one..and have been shooting it for several months. I love the knobs (well maybe not the windage markings), the reticle and the scope in general. I like the reticles better than NF with the dot in the middle. What I hate is the clarity. I have had several people look through it and everyone thinks the same thing. I have compared it to nightforce NXS and it is not even close. I also have a leupold vx-5 hd a scope that is half the price and it is not as clear as that scope. I have talked to several guys that know their poop and they say theirs is super clear. Maybe I just have a bad one???? I have though about sending it back to leupold. If it was clear...i would give it two thumbs up but i have to give it one thumb down.

Originally Posted By: k9hunter2Has anyone used the Leupold mark 5 yet? The 3.6-18 seems to have good reviews

We run a few of the MKV's, they are wicked optics, very lightweight, superb clarity, I would say one of the best pieces of glass I've used so far. All of ours are the 3.6-18.

Maraud-IR by James O'Neill, on Flickr

Is this the one with a straight tube?? If check to see if your front scope ring is too close to the glass and is to tight. I have a VXR that I sent back for the same reason. They sent it back and said to loosen front ring to like 14 in#. Problem fixed!

Is this the one with a straight tube?? If so check to see if your front scope ring is too close to the glass and is to tight. I have a VXR that I sent back for the same reason. They sent it back and said to loosen front ring to like 14 in#. Problem fixed!

Dont have the 3.6-18 personally but I have 5-25. However a friend has it plus 2 additional 5-25. His are horus reticals, mine is CCH. I also have 2 vortex razor gen 2 and an athlon chronos btr. Said friend has had most of the premium scopes and I've played with them at one point or or another. The MK5 is a very solid scope and I wont be getting rid of mine.

My opinion is all of the scopes in the MK5 price range will out perform 99.9 percent of the shooters using them. The only way to really know what's right for you is to spend time behind a bunch of scopes. Since that is not an option for most of us, pick one with the features you like (or think you will like) and be happy. People will argue all day about which is best but at the end of the day, they will all get the job done.

Back