I'm back...been a while. Question: Looking to build a "Tactical Predator" rifle.

BooneDawg

Hi all, been a while since I've been here.
I want to build a "tactical predator" rifle.
AR style platform, Thermal optics and suppressed.
Mainly coyote hunting.
Recommendations for caliber, suppressor & thermal optics.
Would like to stay under $4K all in.
Thanks in advance.
BooneDawg

Quote:Would like to stay under $4K all in.

For just the rifle I hope? Good thermal will cost you that much. Suppressor will cost you at least a $1k with tax stamp.

Stick with .223 if going for coyotes. Rifle will be close to $1k however you go if you get decent trigger.
ATN Thor4 =$3200
Thunderbeast Ultra 7 = $1200 with stamp.

I am looking at getting the Q-half Nelson which is $1k with stamp.

Depending on rifle that could get you close to $$5,200. I can't see getting there much cheaper than that that. You could get a big heavy suppressor cheaper, and a cheap thermal.....

The left over 125 would get the bushmaster barrel threaded, get a suppressor rated to 30 cal. The bushy will look tactical with thermal and suppressor.

Originally Posted By: spotstalkshootThe left over 125 would get the bushmaster barrel threaded, get a suppressor rated to 30 cal. The bushy will look tactical with thermal and suppressor.

While the Varminter is a great rifle, (have one myself) if you put a can on that long barrel, you’re going to have one heck of a long and unwieldy gun. Just my 2 cents worth. Dave

My go to rig is either a Rem 700 243 or a Frankenstein 6.5 Grendel AR. Both supports the SiCo Omega and currently waiting on the replacement thermal, Pulsar Trail 2 XP50LRF. With tripod and Reaper grip, I think I’m around $8,800.

If you find the deal you’re looking for, please let us know, I need another setup.

On that note, the Pulsar Core is a great unit around $2,000

Thank you all, appreciate all the information. Watch a lot of reviews and have decided to up my budget to $6-8K.
Again thank you all, still give some suggestions if y'all have them, I'm all ears!!!

So I have gone with a Diamond Black AR in 300 Blackout
ATN 5x20 Pro 4k Nightvision
Dead Air Nomad Can
and Kopfjager Reaper tripod set up
probably going to add a Sniper Hog 66 LRX light...

Thanks for all your help. I have twin 19 year olds so ---no need to adopt...
smile.gif

You would be so much happier with a thermal scanner and eventually a thermal scope. You can't shoot what you can't see. If you are determined to go digital night vision, I would recommend a 3x vs 5x. It is very hard to find hard charging coyotes on 5x with the narrow fov.

For the money, I would probably start with something like a Hogster-R 35. This could be a scope or a scanner for you and build from there. The second you start using thermal for either, you are going to be hard pressed not to use thermal for both. It just happens whether you like it or not. If you are spending this much money, why not have a better chance at success. A person doesn't need a 400-500 yard gun for night hunting. Get something that shoots accurate to 300 yards roughly, and get a thermal scanner and thermal scope and have a blast.

Im wondering how your going to get the targets 'in range'?
Electonic caller? If so most coyotes that are shot that way are shot at 100 yards or less..

Back