My .17 Hornet loves AA 1680 and the 20 grain Berger. Just ran out of it a few days ago too. Drat. Oh well. I will make do without it. Luckily for me it likes other powders pretty good too.

Originally Posted By: Mike BOriginally Posted By: Plant.Oneyou can still order actual 1680 - midway has 8lb jugs in stock

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2183347686

Not at $16/#.

you gotta spend >$500 to get the mp350 @ $16/lb

8# jug of mp350 = $20/lb
8# jug 1680 = $22.50/lb (yes i konw, hazmat too, blah blah)

just gotta give it even remotely close apples to apples man.

Originally Posted By: RustydustMy .17 Hornet loves AA 1680 and the 20 grain Berger. Just ran out of it a few days ago too. Drat. Oh well. I will make do without it. Luckily for me it likes other powders pretty good too.

try some shooters world blackout or shooters world socom if you can get your hands on it. its Lovex powder (DO-63.2 and DO-63.1 respectively) and they're the ones who used to make 1680 for alliant until i guess they lost the contract a while back. just a little faster/denser (i have to drop a couple tenths of a grain to get = velocity when i use 1680 data) and burns super clean.

i almost wonder if the MP-350 stuff is bulk Lovex DO-63.x being private labeled just like SHooters world is doing with blackout and socom. i almost went in on a 50lb cask of the do63.1 with a buddy a while back but that source closed it doors a couple years ago.

tough to say and we'll probably never find out.

My .17 Hornet has really done well with CFE BLK too and that I have plenty of. The AA 1680 is a good one for me, but not the only one. Still, I hate being out of any powder so I will keep a lookout for some more. At 12.2 grains a charge, a pound of it will last me a long time.

Originally Posted By: RustydustMy .17 Hornet has really done well with CFE BLK too and that I have plenty of. The AA 1680 is a good one for me, but not the only one. Still, I hate being out of any powder so I will keep a lookout for some more. At 12.2 grains a charge, a pound of it will last me a long time.

exactly.. i've got.. 10 lbs or so of DO-63.1 . i primarily use it for subs in my blackout. at like 10.6 gr or so. so i'll worry about more in 6600 rounds ... ish :p

+1 Russ on 17 Hornet and 1680. I picked up an 8 lb keg of CFE BLK and it shoots ok but my Hornet prefers 1680. Not quite as much velocity as CFE BLK though. So guess I have a full keg of CFE BLK for backup !

Back