BSA scopes

I bought a used Ruger #1 that has a BSA Platinum 6-24x44 with AO on it. Was going to replace it with one of my more expensive ones. Took it out to the range and it did just fine, glass is not excellent but more than good.
n3bB0nv.jpg

Hope this helps in your decision.

Last edited:
Do not have one but have owned some Tascos before they went to china(now they are referred to as "Trashcos"). If you build something cheap you have to cut corners somewhere to make that price, either in materials and or skill of the labor. So do you want to bet a hunt on low cost materials and less skilled labor. You might get lucky and get one where the assembler happened to grab all the best pieces out of the box and got them all together correctly.

Last edited:
I've had a BSA Goldstar for years. Killed lots of coyotes and various other critters using it. Is it the best quality scope I own? No probably not but it holds zero.

I have a Platnum 8-32 with target knobs, shoots tiny groups on the 22 BR that it came on, I got it on a trade. Free replacement if or when they go belly up. This particular model is very, very popular in Europe.

Thanks for the input guys that’s a pretty well-rounded bunch of opinions and that’s what I asked for will see what happens I’ll let you know if I get one

you'll be glad they have such a painless warranty process. my air rifle came with one.. i didnt bother going thru the warranty the second time around. just wasnt worth the $10 warranty processing fee and shipping.

i also had a sweet 17 on my hmr that i warranty'ed out. i sold it to fund a scope that wouldnt fail due to the incredible recoil that the 17hmr produces.

i'd rather drive down the highway pitching dollar bills out the window - or maybe buy a tasco to throw out the window. both are less painful.

save up a few more $ and at least get a relatively decent cheap scope like a vortex crossfire or something.

Originally Posted By: ackleymanAmazing how popular the BSA line is in Europe. Maybe something in the water over there!

im sure like a lot of budget products... 20 years ago they were still decent quality.

and then china happened... and well yea... the quality went to ... well chinesium

I forgot I actually have two BSA scopes. One's a Sweet .17 that I've had for I'd say 15 years or so. Maybe a little longer than that. I'm not sure but it's taken out a lot of varmints and still does.

Originally Posted By: crazyyoteBSA= Buy Scope Again. That said I have one and it's been flawless. Go figure.

I thought it meant Best Scope Available.
tt2.gif

Originally Posted By: RustydustOriginally Posted By: crazyyoteBSA= Buy Scope Again. That said I have one and it's been flawless. Go figure.

I thought it meant Best Scope Available.
tt2.gif

BSA = Barely See Anything.

Ah yes...... They don't have the best reputation of course. I got mine on something I bought. I've used it for load development on a few rifles. I'll be damned if it isn't spot on every time. Also used it on a rimfire with no issues. I'm 99% sure I got lucky on this one. It is older if that's pertinent.

Another classic: Been Screwed Again.

For a low-recoiling rifle that you don't mind becoming useless on a day trip, a BSA might last you a lifetime, but for another hundred bucks you'll get something more dependable.

I just left my third cheapo scope at the range with a "Free to a good home" sign on it. For big game I won't go afield with anything less than a Leupold; for smaller stuff at least a Nikon.

I got one last year when I got a used 22 pump at a pawn shop .The 22 was a good buy so I did not try to weasel them down on the price so I asked them to throw in a scope .Surprise it was a BSA ! Very clear and is great on the 22 ,the only rub is it has a BIG Blob on the top for battery to light it up .I am NOT a scope light person or widget guy at all !That is why I asked for your opinions as it seems great on the 22 .

I put that 3x9 on my meat gun Mauser 3000 LH .Tuned it in at 100 YDS . The holes are almost touching.It is much clearer than the old 2x7 Leupold I took off.

for about the same price I put a UTG or leapers on my magnum spring action pellet gun that has good glass and has taken a beating. it has held zero for 4 years and air rifles have recoil both ways. os if your on a budget that is the way I would go.

Back