Shot out Mauser barrel

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotso you had a friend that screwed you.

sorry, couldn't help it. lol

smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Winny FanOriginally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotso you had a friend that screwed you.

smile.gif

Well I knew that was coming. Just wasn't sure when.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogOriginally Posted By: Winny FanOriginally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotso you had a friend that screwed you.

smile.gif

Well I knew that was coming. Just wasn't sure when.

Oh my....
smile.gif

Now its time to pump up Rusty with a bit of name calling to help him make looking at a tomato juice can easier. All very predictable.

Once again, dude, I apologize for not getting my wife home from the New Years party soon enough to chill your jets. When we got home just after midnight I tried to send you a PM telling you that I would contact you in the morning but you had already written me off with this PM at 10:09 PM along with a block that kept me from sending you a message.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogI tried, guess you don't want to make some sort of peace.

Have a good evening Winny. An yes, OU got their tails kicked.

I had told you earlier in the evening via PM that I would get back to you after the party but that I wasn't sure what time that would be....

Psycho, you're only a victim if you want to and try to be one. As I mentioned early on in that NY Eve exchange that sometimes extra on-line whining in hope that someone will pat you on the back online is not very helpful to solving a problem.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogGive it a rest Winny. Your only showing the rest what a real jerk you are.

Oh Bill. Whiney is fully aware that we all know how big of jerk that he is. For some morbid reason, he just wants to keep proving it to everyone. When he dies it will be as a lonely hateful man with not a friend in world. Not much doubt about that.

Originally Posted By: RustydustOriginally Posted By: pyscodogGive it a rest Winny. Your only showing the rest what a real jerk you are.

Oh Bill. Whiney is fully aware that we all know how big of jerk that he is. For some morbid reason, he just wants to keep proving it to everyone. When he dies it will be as a lonely hateful man with not a friend in world. Not much doubt about that.

being an a-hole to people who tolerate you surely is a way to have a long, cold, lonely life. of course most of those folks will just blame the others for cutting them out and never bother to look inward to realize where the issue is - that they're the common denominator and all that.

Anyway on about the Mauser. Numrich says my new 25-06 barrel will ship in 2-3 days...but it also says it may take as long as 3-4 weeks. LOL, I guess it will be a surprise. I may get it cera-koted. A local guy does a pretty nice job for not a lot of money. I've seen several of his jobs on a friends rifles and he does do a nice job. I also have heard that Van's cold blue works good to. I may go that route and do it myself. Any other suggestions??? Please keep in mind its sort of a Covid budget build and if I can do it myself its even better.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogI talked to my smith. His is 9.3x72. He shot a buck with it last year and it took the whole front shoulder off. LOL, needless to say, he didn't have to track it.

The 9.3x72mm is a monster in the best ways. Load it down to play with it, and to shoot small game like deer, then load heavy for that trip to Southwest Alaska for bear.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Plant.OneOriginally Posted By: RustydustOriginally Posted By: pyscodogGive it a rest Winny. Your only showing the rest what a real jerk you are.

being an a-hole to people who tolerate you surely is a way to have a long, cold, lonely life. of course most of those folks will just blame the others for cutting them out and never bother to look inward to realize where the issue is - that they're the common denominator and all that.

3 Peas in a pod. Two of them are probably still smarting that I didn't die in their wished for online plane crash involving me and probably 150 other people as Rusty was choking on his tomato juice can/5.56MM/M-16 fairy tail.

Not sure about the third pea....?

Woe is me.... I'm going to die a lonely man per their universal message....
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: pyscodogGive it a rest Winny. Your only showing the rest what a real jerk you are.

I tried to give it a rest last New Years Eve, but you had your own personal hissy fit because me and my wife stayed too long at a party that was planned long before our PM's that evening, and as a result you took your ball and went to bed early to pout.

Without that, we woudn't be here now... Ain't that right , Bill??

Originally Posted By: pyscodogHe didn't know the barrel was bad and I didn't expect anything for free. He's a friend and a shooting bud and he's a dang good gunsmith. If he said to bad, its yours, it would have been OK with me. His friendship is worth a lot more than a barrel for a Mauser.

As far as calibers, I just really didn't see the need or want for a 9.3 as I have plenty of hunting rifles. If I ever decide to sell it, if all I do is break even it will be OK with me. Thank you all for the advice though.

I was not implying anything negative about your friend the gunsmith.

But I was trying to offer you a solution to your main problem concerning Mausers.............Quote:My main problem is if I rebarrel and decide to sell, Mausers just don't bring much money around here and I'm sure I'll take a hard hit if I decide to sell it. I didn't realize you main interest was shooting/hunting it.
I apologize for missing that point.

9.3X62 Mausers do bring decent money.

Originally Posted By: NitromanOriginally Posted By: pyscodogI talked to my smith. His is 9.3x72. He shot a buck with it last year and it took the whole front shoulder off. LOL, needless to say, he didn't have to track it.

The 9.3x72mm is a monster in the best ways. Load it down to play with it, and to shoot small game like deer, then load heavy for that trip to Southwest Alaska for bear.
smile.gif

The beauty and the versatility of both the 9.3x72 and the 9.3x62 cartridges, all stated in one short post. They can go from being mild putsy cats to roaring lions..... Much like the versatility of the 375 H&H.

The 9.3x72 will never become a roaring lion, it is loaded with a 193gr two diameter bullet(to lessen pressure in the wide variation in bore and groove diameters) at a very mild 1925 fps. It is loaded quite low because it is almost exclusively chambered in break action combination guns that go back to the 1800's, my drilling was built in 1907.

While it looks huge, the size was to size was to accommodate blackpowder.

L to R 375 Win(255gr at 2000 fps), 35 Whelen(250gr at 2500 fps), 9.3x72R (193gr at 1925 fps)

A2Be3I.jpg

I can do a history lesson on the 9.3x72R if anyone is interested.

Last edited:
My comment was pointed to its ability to penetrate deeply on large animals with good bullets, which it has shown a capability of doing. Speed isn't everything.

I think we are confusing the 9.3x72R with the 9.3x74R, while appearing similar they are completely different. The 9.3x74R is in the category of the 375 H&H 286gr bullet at 2400 fps, it is 2mm longer, larger in the base and rim and slightly bottle necked. While the 9.3x72 was designed to be chambered in combination guns and used for game in the forest of Germany the 9.3x74 was designed for double rifles both sxs and o/u to take large game around the world. I don't know of any weapons made in the US chambered in the 9.3x72R, Ruger made a run of Ruger #1's in 9.3x74R and I believe a few custom build double rifles were chamber in this country also.

9.3x74R
w7jUFi.jpg

Searcy double rifle made in California in 9.3x74R
YPY0ZK.jpg

Currently the 9.3x72 is no longer legal for hunting big game(Hochwild) in Germany as it doesn't meet the requirement of 2000 Joules(1475 fpe) at 100 meters(110 yards)

Last edited:
Don't I wish. I borrowed the picture. My pocket book only lets me dream about one like that.

My lowly third hand P Sauer drilling 16ga/16ga/7x57R but it shoots good. Due to that pocket book I had to hand modify a set of commercial Weaver steel Grand slam rings to fit the claw bases. Commercial replacement rings are very expensive, $225 for the rings and $800-$1000 for fitting, the rings come with just a lump where the claws are and the claws need to be cut to fit the existing bases. So the don't buy a drilling unless it has the rings with it or you never plan to use with a scope.

E8VvYt.jpg

Last edited:
I was referring to the 9.3x62 and the 9.3x74 when I wrote what I wrote. I noticed that I stated 9.3x72 in my post above but I have not shot one of them. I have shot a friend's 9.3x74 (similar to a 375 H&H which is a favorite of mine due to it's similar versatility) and I currently own a 9.3x62 Winchester Model 70 rifle (obviously re-barreled) that with common sense re-loading and the right bullet for the game sought will efficiently and effectively kill anything from NA's white tailed deer to larger African game.

If I ever make it elk hunting again, the 9.3 will likely go along, just because, with a 338 Win Mag and a 264 Win Mag as other rifle choices if its not a pack hunt. YMMV as they say on the internet...

Back