IRay MH25

cml

Anyone using an IRay MH25 for scanning yet? I decided to pull the trigger on one and am very impressed. The image this thing puts out is amazing. Night season cant get here soon enough! Hoping to get some video to post up soon.
[img:center]http://[/img]

It is a similar sensor as Bering is using in their Phenom scanner that Night Goggles hopefully will be carrying soon. Reading on other forums there have been some comments about the outer housing of the MH25 not being as rugged as people would like. The sensor in these units is good. The other big question is once the warranty runs out, how do you get service since these are built overseas and shipped in. Yes, please keep us posted on how it works for you.

Will do Kirsch. As far as the quality...Its actually quite a solid build. I would honestly say it feels more rugged/solid compared to the Pulsar scanners i’ve owned or held. As for warranty...3 year warranty thats handled State side. I guess only time will tell how that plays out. As a side note on warranty...when I contacted my card company to let them know I was about to make a large purchase, the customer service rep informed me of an addition feature of using my card for this purchase that extends the manufacturer warranty by an additional two years. I have no idea what kind of hassle that would turn out to be but its worth a shot if something goes wrong four years out.

Another item to add...there are small discrepancies i’ve noticed in advertising specs. Websites and reviews list it as 640X480 with thermal sensitivity of

The Hogsters do not. When they first came out, there was a plan to have it as an option. Bering Optics received early feedback that there was no reason to have a remote so they stopped development on that feature.

that is very nice ! They also have some nice Thermal scopes on there website. wonder why nobody in USA is importing them also ?

Originally Posted By: Alan D that is very nice ! They also have some nice Thermal scopes on there website. wonder why nobody in USA is importing them also ? Even if a company starts to import, if they can't service them, they are an expensive paper-weight if they go bad once the warranty expires.

Originally Posted By: SkyPupOriginally Posted By: The DukeHow easy is it to walk around compared to a PVS-14?

No comparison.

SkyPup is 100% dead on. The field of view is nothing compared to the 14. While you could walk around in a flat wide open field I wouldn’t want to navigate with just the thermal alone. NV still rules the roost for moving around. I went duel for this reason. This combo will not give you true fusion but your brain/eyes given a little practice can flip between which image you want more pronounced. Im still playing around with the color pallets and brightness settings to see what works best for me.
9-F61-A68-F-56-C7-4-CF5-868-F-C5-DDA362-E7-FF.png

Originally Posted By: The DukeHow easy is it to walk around compared to a PVS-14?

I use the M300W patrol and the SkeetIR both helmet mounted to navigate at night much more than I ever use the PVS-14, and I walk a long way at night. Sure the FOV is less but I do it with ease, especially on the dark nights. I do however use the PVS-14 a lot when driving at night to get from set to set while keeping the heater on in the truck so we don't freeze up. I'm excited to test the MH25 in comparison to the M300W and Skeet to see how much difference there is in performance.

The MH25 gives a similar image to the 300 but much easier to wear on a helmet. I've been walking with thermal for years, just stay in the open and watch for holes as you will not see them with thermal. I use NV for driving.

I'm looking forward to trying out a dual setup as soon as TNVC sends me some back ordered items.

Originally Posted By: cmlOriginally Posted By: SkyPupOriginally Posted By: The DukeHow easy is it to walk around compared to a PVS-14?

No comparison.

SkyPup is 100% dead on. The field of view is nothing compared to the 14. While you could walk around in a flat wide open field I wouldn’t want to navigate with just the thermal alone. NV still rules the roost for moving around. I went duel for this reason. This combo will not give you true fusion but your brain/eyes given a little practice can flip between which image you want more pronounced. Im still playing around with the color pallets and brightness settings to see what works best for me.

This, this and this again. You do not walk around navigating with thermal nor drive a vehicle. So much fake news about these efforts.

Originally Posted By: Victor_TNVCOriginally Posted By: cmlOriginally Posted By: SkyPupOriginally Posted By: The DukeHow easy is it to walk around compared to a PVS-14?

No comparison.

This, this and this again. You do not walk around navigating with thermal nor drive a vehicle. So much fake news about these efforts.

Not true. I walk around all the time using a thermal scope as a hand held. Just move slow. I also drive my SxS around using the thermal as long as the road shows up well.

Originally Posted By: BigPig
Not true. I walk around all the time using a thermal scope as a hand held. Just move slow. I also drive my SxS around using the thermal as long as the road shows up well.

Same here I can honestly say I "navigate" at "night" with a helmet mounted M300W or Skeetir. I rarely ever use a PVS for anything other than driving while looking through glass. I'm not sure why it "can't" be done, but I'm working on a video review of it now, and will be going into detail on how I use thermal not only to detect, but as a navigation tool.

Originally Posted By: skinneyOriginally Posted By: BigPig

Same here I can honestly say I "navigate" at "night" with a helmet mounted M300W or Skeetir. I rarely ever use a PVS for anything other than driving while looking through glass. I'm not sure why it "can't" be done, but I'm working on a video review of it now, and will be going into detail on how I use thermal not only to detect, but as a navigation tool.

More sales pitch coming up for your favorite vemdor!
frown.gif

Listen tried wearing them when the Skeeter first came out over 10 years ago out at Ft. Bragg . We knew back then it was not the right tool for the job as you're looking into a digital type screen. Depth perception is not even on par with wearing dual I^2 units. Uneven terrain, close obstacles near ones footing etc. is problematic... We do train others for a living in the use of NV and we do know a thing or two on what really works and the true advantages of both technologies.

Next you're gonna tell us how thermal will see though glass one day and you'll navigate just fine from your vehicle?

Maybe for hunters moving VERY slow it's possible (agreed), but in other realms of movement in a defensive posture for several others who read here, this not an effective specific tool for that tool box. Our job is to educate all roles and if LE types or any others who find themselves not just hunting, it's important these deficiencies are noted and not show fancy videos to pimp your favorite vendors wares on how thermal somehow replaces I^2 devices, all for increased thermal sales!

Come to a training class and try wearing thermal and use it like you think you can and you will surely find out the hard way. Good luck with that upcomimg pimp video for your buds to sell more thermals.

First I'd like to say I appreciate differing opinions, and that I don't have a "dog in this hunt" so to speak. I certainly don't have the quality equipment that some here have, and so can speak only from my limited experience.

I scan with an older Pulsar HD19A at 1x and wide FOV. It didn't take long before holding it up got tiring, so I proceeded under the assumption that perhaps I could helmet mount it some way so that it wouldn't be so tiring on my arms. About 3 years ago, I purchases a Crye Precision Nightcap and attached a shroud and Norotos mount to it. Pmack (Paul McNamara) had perfected a bracket that would allow the 19A to be attached to the Norotos. It worked very well, so well in fact that I started walking in scanning with it as well as while on stand.

We also found that we could use it with our electric golf cart to drive in since we didn't have a windshield. Last year we decided the golf cart was too much trouble hauling around and loading/unloading so we went to electric bikes. We ride in using the 19a on the Crye Precision. A note of warning here, we do not scan while riding in (very dangerous) unless we stop first. We scout areas that we are going to hunt so that we know the roads well. We don't ride out across fields or in the woods.

I can say we have had zero issues using this procedure. I'm sure it isn't as good as a PVS-14 or a more expensive thermal like the 640 units. My purpose is just to give another perspective from the "coyote hunter's view", and only want to help others increase their opportunities and options. What works for us may or may not work for others.

After walking into a barbed wire fence at night slicing up my thighs while using one of my 640 helmet mounted thermals and then falling off a 10 ft high culvert into a rock lined stream and almost breaking my back, head, and arms and legs, and then walking into a pointed branch at night slicing a deep gash into my cheek, I only use helmet mounted thermal in areas that are open that I am intimately familiar with or while in a stand.

There is virtually no depth perception or ability to see things like barbed wire, downed limbs in the trail, slopes, holes in the ground, etc. that have zero thermal emissivIty on a 2-dimensional viewing screen with perceptible time lag of the image.

Anyone talking about navigating slopes up or down or deep woods with a thermal is seriously asking for trouble.

So be very careful And take baby steps ....or just use a simple PV-14 for navigating while mobile.

This thread is turning out great. Especially to hear multiple points of view and different options using different gear! I've used an M300W to check over 600 head of cattle in two different calving lots on a quad, no IR no NV, and no visible light.

I've also used the same M300W to navigate and walk miles into sets in pitch black. I have and still do see redbrand barb before I walk into it, I actually reach out and grab the wire while looking through my thermal so I can push it down to step over it. I've used the same set up as well as the Skeet to walk through our Bull pasture, anywhere from 20yards to 5yards away from our 2000lb + sleeping Purebred Angus Bulls to get into one of our killboxes, usually its a 1/2 mile in on foot only, on the nights you can't see your hand in front of your face. I can give you countless, honestly "countless" times I've walked in with thermal, and spotted a coyote within range before we get to our set, I've tried to locate, detect and ID the same animal at the same time with the VYPER 14, and it couldn't be done, sure if I would of had a decent illuminator probably, but we can't use them, as they are emitting an artificial beam.

To the OP, you don't have to believe me, but I can show you numbers that we put up using the techniques that I've mentioned, which will eliminate opinions or misinformation from my posts. I'm not saying NV is good or bad, I've used it, and still do. I'm just comfortable with my efficiency and success while using Thermal on my helmet as soon as we leave the rig.

Back