Sierra Gameking, 62 vs 65 grain

MoYoBomber

Can anybody tell me the difference between the 62 and 65 grain Gamekings?

Sierra says the 62 is a semi spitzer but the pic shows it as being of spitzer design.

The way i am reading it is, They are trying to make a heavier, highest B.C. possible bullet that will stabilize in a 12 twist 223 or possibly a 14 twist 250.

The theme seems to be twist rate vs length. If you have a fast twister, go with the 65 grain, or the latest 64 grain game changer.

IMO.....

Originally Posted By: arlaunchIf you have a fast twister, go with the 65 grain, or the latest 64 grain game changer.

IMO.....

I have a 9 twist. Have nothing against the 65 grain Gameking but am just wondering why the minute difference.

That 64 is a good idea. May try to score some of those.

The 65s have been my coyote bullet for the last couple years and I will never go back to varmint bullets. Very accurate and almost no pelt damage even on small foxes, even with terrible shot placement.

From the little I've looked around just for ballistic gel test of the 65s they're not the hard indestructible bullet everyone acts like. Gel penetration tests I've seen show so much expansion and fragmentation that the big 65gr bullets fail the FBIs requirement of 16inches of penetration.

They hit like a brick and dont care if bone is in the way or not.

Rock Knocker,
Your comments on the 65 SGK are interesting. I have shot them in my 1:9 twist Mini-14 at rock squirrels and remember how end-on hits really opened them up. I thought that for a big, slow bullet that there would not be the same level of carnage of the lighter, faster varmint bullets I have also used. It made me think they had softer lead under the jacket to come apart on a ground squirrel like a 40gr HP or B-tip. What chambering are you using them in (223 or .22-250)? I have not looked into them as a coyote bullet due to the fear they wouldn't open up compared to the 60gr V-Max and 55 Bal-tip I really like in 223s. How are they on broadside shots on coyotes?

Originally Posted By: HellgateRock Knocker,
Your comments on the 65 SGK are interesting. I have shot them in my 1:9 twist Mini-14 at rock squirrels and remember how end-on hits really opened them up. I thought that for a big, slow bullet that there would not be the same level of carnage of the lighter, faster varmint bullets I have also used. It made me think they had softer lead under the jacket to come apart on a ground squirrel like a 40gr HP or B-tip. What chambering are you using them in (223 or .22-250)? I have not looked into them as a coyote bullet due to the fear they wouldn't open up compared to the 60gr V-Max and 55 Bal-tip I really like in 223s. How are they on broadside shots on coyotes?

I'm using them in 223 with a stiff charge of CFE223 getting them close to 3100fps, I recently started playing with HBN coated in 65s with a full case of Benchmark, I havent checked the velocity of those yet.

It doesnt matter if you're shooting big coyotes or small fox, 22cal pin prick entrance and an exit wound about the size of a quarter. The 65gr SPs will open up hitting anything at speed, the difference is they wont fall apart if you hit bone and they wont cause splash or exit damage even with bad shots.

I'm on a smart phone bumming free wifi right now or I would post some picks.

The Chopping Block youtube channel has some gel test of the 65s from SBR and 16" at what i consider a very mild charge around 2500fps or so at the muzzle so I translate that to what my bullet would be doing around 150 or 200 yards away, even the mild SBR load around 2300fps was expanding aand fragmenting.

I have been shooting the 65 SGK in my 14.5"/556 AR pretty much exclusively for 3 years now. I shoot them for everything. Jackrabbits, coons, coyotes, hogs, deer. IMO they really are a do everything bullet at the velocity I am shooting them. I have had to shoot some coyotes twice due to shot placement, but that is on me. Mostly those were running shots. What has really impressed me is how well they work on hogs. Generally on pigs I would rather shoot my Grendel out night hunting. But if you put that 65 SGK in a solid location, it will flat put pigs down. If I happen to have the 556 with me and not my Grendel when I run up on some hogs I do not feel disadvantaged, I just know I need to be a little more concentrated on shot placement.

I do think the front of that 65 is fairly soft. It seems to me the initial upset is pretty quick. The front expands and starts causing damage early. Yet at the speed I am shooting them the base section holds together and gives good penetration. I have seen them go clean through medium size (125-150 lb) pigs, broadside through the shoulders. Here a while back I shot a 150 lb boar in the face (through the eye) and found what was left of the the bullet in the chest cavity. Also last spring I killed a coyote with the same load, it was sitting facing me at 275 yards. One shot and it just rolled over and died right there.

I trust that 65 SGK. Does everything I ask of it. That says a lot in a small caliber bullet.

This is a sounder of pigs I walked up on at night with my Thermal. I was by myself, no backup shooter. I ended up killing 5 pigs with hits on a couple more. This was with my 556 and the 65 SGK. I had to spin around looking for hogs because I could hear them running past me in the dark.

Last edited:
I have taken several nice bucks with the 65GK. Most bullets stopped just on the opposite side behind the shoulder against the skin, the jacket separated from the lead core but the core still was a good sized chunk of lead and was usually close by. Some smaller bucks were DRT or dropped within 35yds, of these smaller bucks the 65's passed right on through with golf ball sized hole, lungs were juice.
I have high praise for these bullets, good price, they work without blowing apart and the shoot like a match bullet.

Originally Posted By: Rock KnockerThe 65s will make you understand how much of a handicap ballistic tip varmint bullets are.
Dang skippy!

65g Sierra
64g Win
63g Winchester all perform great.

62g Speer bonded core Gold dot is a bullet you will cherish when you step up to hogs and deer.

I sure wish that Nosler would come up with a 60g bonded accubond for the 22/243 AI's and variants

64 gr. bonded are pretty close, Keith, but looks like they only have one left.
grin.gif

http://www.shootersproshop.com/nosler-pr...blem-100ct.html

Regards,
Clarence

I have tried the bonded Nosler 64 in several rifles and while terminal performance has been good, I have never been able to get very good accuracy with them. The 64 Winchester is a good bullet and they have shot well for me. That 65 SGK though, shoots excellent and hits hard. Pretty good BC too, comparatively speaking.

+1 on 65 he GK being a great all around bullet. Carnitas to deer it ll work for you. It’s quite a slippery little guy too with a G1 of right around .290-.300.

Originally Posted By: ackleymanOriginally Posted By: Rock KnockerThe 65s will make you understand how much of a handicap ballistic tip varmint bullets are.
Dang skippy!

65g Sierra
64g Win
63g Winchester all perform great.

62g Speer bonded core Gold dot is a bullet you will cherish when you step up to hogs and deer.

I sure wish that Nosler would come up with a 60g bonded accubond for the 22/243 AI's and variants

Keith, have you tried the 60gn TMk, they seem a little tougher than the NosBt's. (trying to remember if we have already had this discussion in another thread) I too am a big fan of that little 65gn SGK, it's the little bullet that could. Really punches above it's weight class. 65SGK and 62gn/64gn Speer Gold Dots would be solid options if you had to have just one projectile for all of your 223 needs.

Last edited:
Back