Ammo shortage???

pyscodog

A friend told me Monday night that he was having trouble finding 9mm ammo. I asked if he went to one local store that always has ammo. He said he had and they had some but not a lot. Usually this place always has an abundance of pistol ammo. I went there today and they had 9mm but not the quantities I'm use to seeing. The shelves were rather bare. One couple came in and tried buying 20 box's of 9mm and they wouldn't sell them that much. Limit was 5 box's per. What's going on? I figure if I'm robbed it isn't going to matter if I have one box or one hundred. If I live past the first full mag I'll probably die before the second one. Then I just supplied someone with a bunch of free ammo. Maybe they feel the need for all that ammo to protect their toilet paper and hand sanitizer they are hoarding as well.

20 boxes is only 1000 rounds. That's five or six decent practice sessions for me now. In the old days that was two range trips when I was competing heavily.

They probably will be good for a long time if they are like most shooters. I'd feel understocked if I had less than 3,000 on hand and the fixings for another 2000.

Greg

Originally Posted By: pyscodogI see your point but these didn't look like people that did much shooting. Looks are deceiving though.

Maybe they wanted to get better with a new gun or thinking way past the next election. In a local shop the owner was bringing in his own stash of 9 MM and giving the customer a box wit their new 9MM pistol as he had ZERO on the shelves for sale.

I will admit that looks can deceive. The young US Marshals and BOP staffas I worked with on Con Air and met at the USM SOG school never could believe that the skinny old fart working with them could chew them up and spit them out on any given day with any firearm they had handy. It took their bosses and teh FLETC guys to explain to them that they should never just assume that old men were weak and helpless. I was in my early 50's then LOL

I hope all is well in your world and the populace there stays calm.

Greg

Originally Posted By: pyscodogWe didn't get old being stupid!!!! I tell my son that all the time. He hasn't pushed it yet either. LOL

LOL Well said. I'm 70 now but haven't changed much at all except for the gray in my mustache and not being able to run as fast for as long as I could back then.

Greg

I doubt anyone in Seattle, Portland, Minneapolis, Chicago or any number of such places on the face of the Earth feel "overstocked" right now. It will get worse after thelections, no matter how that goes.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogA friend told me Monday night that he was having trouble finding 9mm ammo. I asked if he went to one local store that always has ammo. He said he had and they had some but not a lot. Usually this place always has an abundance of pistol ammo. I went there today and they had 9mm but not the quantities I'm use to seeing. The shelves were rather bare. One couple came in and tried buying 20 box's of 9mm and they wouldn't sell them that much. Limit was 5 box's per. What's going on? I figure if I'm robbed it isn't going to matter if I have one box or one hundred. If I live past the first full mag I'll probably die before the second one. Then I just supplied someone with a bunch of free ammo. Maybe they feel the need for all that ammo to protect their toilet paper and hand sanitizer they are hoarding as well.

Maybe if you used some of that ammo practising and training you would survive the encounter.

Ammo shortage is from the same reason that there is a firearm
shortage.Covid 19 and all the "protests" and the election coming up have scared people and they're buying everything they can find right now.

Originally Posted By: GCOriginally Posted By: pyscodogA friend told me Monday night that he was having trouble finding 9mm ammo. I asked if he went to one local store that always has ammo. He said he had and they had some but not a lot. Usually this place always has an abundance of pistol ammo. I went there today and they had 9mm but not the quantities I'm use to seeing. The shelves were rather bare. One couple came in and tried buying 20 box's of 9mm and they wouldn't sell them that much. Limit was 5 box's per. What's going on? I figure if I'm robbed it isn't going to matter if I have one box or one hundred. If I live past the first full mag I'll probably die before the second one. Then I just supplied someone with a bunch of free ammo. Maybe they feel the need for all that ammo to protect their toilet paper and hand sanitizer they are hoarding as well.

Maybe if you used some of that ammo practising and training you would survive the encounter.

lol.gif

The local Cabelas store just recently started to limit how many boxes of each caliber you can buy. There is no 45, 9mm, or 223 to be found on their shelves. When it comes in, it sells in a manor of hours. Even 22 LR is now hard to find. This is crazy, can no longer enjoy long sessions at the gun range for fear of running low on ammo. Time to reload......

Originally Posted By: Danh20The local Cabelas store just recently started to limit how many boxes of each caliber you can buy. There is no 45, 9mm, or 223 to be found on their shelves. When it comes in, it sells in a manor of hours. Even 22 LR is now hard to find. This is crazy, can no longer enjoy long sessions at the gun range for fear of running low on ammo. Time to reload......

Since I became a working member of society 45 years ago it's always been time to reload..
thumbup1.gif

Greg

Originally Posted By: muskrat30 The sad thing is, prices are up, when it is available. I saw a 50 round box for $49.99 two weeks ago.

That's pretty steep!! I'd love to turn 20 boxes at that price..LOL

Greg

Unless I was just wanting to see what a cartridge did or was something I shot very little, I have always bought by the case. That was even when I was reloading. A lot of people seem to think you save a bunch when you
“roll your own”. If one does the math with a sharp pencil and is honest about there cost and numbers, it takes a lot of shooting to recoup the initial cost.
I shoot a fair bit, but not near as much as I did a short 6-7 years ago. Powder by the 8lb jug, primers by the case (5K) and bullets by the thousand. That is still no big deal to me. The few cents per component add up in a hurry if your honest about total price.

I ran across a good deal on 223 and 204 ammo from a quality manufacturer. Seemed like a lot of money until I did the math. I will say I bought a substantial amount because the more I bought the better the deal, and at a certain amount it was free shipping even more savings. I shot up a bunch of it and sold the brass for .10 each less than I paid for loaded ammo! Primer, powder and bullet is way over that.

I am lost in the 80’s for sure.
I think there are more blaster and plinkers today than there was a few short years ago. I see more women shooting than ever,
Most are better shots than there significant other.

That's too bad. I bought about 15K preloaded Fiocchi 115 9mm about 2 years ago just because I like to drill and get trigger time in at home. In January I bought about another 12k in bullets alone because I figured it was going to really be tough to find factory ammo when the problems hit. I've always reloaded, but when you find preloaded ammo for the same price as your components, well...

IF you reload you can find what you need, you might pay more right now, but it's better than the ladder.

I went back to the LGS and people were still packing out ammo as fast as they could stock the shelves. The S&B 9mm that I was paying $9.95 for was now $19.95.

Back