Ruger AR556

With the proper ammunition why not. As you are aware the round has seen use in this role for decades. Personally I'd install a quality red dot type optic on one and perhaps a surefire light and call it good to go. Best of luck.

load it up with hornady varmint express 55gr vmax and you should be good to go. you put those center mass/chest area and anything behind the ribs is gonna turn to mushy jello at across the room distances.

thats whats in my HD mags.

Swat teams use the 5.56 cartridge for entry because the bullet has such high velocity that ricochet/wall penetration is minimal because the bullet fragments easily on sheetrock & wood. That way they are not shooting through several walls like a 12 ga slug or 30 cal rifle.

https://www.hornadyle.com/rifle-ammunition/55-gr-tap-urban#!/

click on the gelatin test tab.

https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/rifle/223-rem-55-gr-v-max#!/#features

thats the same 55gr vmax bullet that the varmit express has (.255 bc, .157 sd) and the listed velocity for both loads (tap and VE) are within 10 fps in the 24" test barrel. hornady is known for branding one load for multiple usage where applicable.

this is the wound channel in gel for a 16" barrel with the TAP ammo load - the varmint express should be quite similar if not identical based on the velocity #'s.
83276.jpg

thats a pretty ugly mess, and probably only be messier if you actually catch the sternum or a rib going in.

after watching what the bullet does on soft critters like racoons and groundhogs.... i sure as h#ll wouldnt want to get hit with one!

The ar556 is basically a semiauto m4 and they cleared buildings throughout Fallujah so I don't think you would have an issue defending your house with it.

For good reason I keep a 16" AR with a white light and flip up open sights and a smooth bore 20" 870 12 ga. with a 7 round mag and white by my bed side with enough ammo to wreck my house. I do not keep a round chambered in the 870 nor do I keep a magazine in the AR but I keep the action open ready to slam one in and close it. I don't sleep walk but I I've heard horror stories about what people will do in their sleep with guns close and loaded not to mention I have small children in the house.

Last edited:
Back