2020 Groundhog tally

Finally put the 17 Fireball to use after a short hiatus as a safe queen. She's a Remington Model 7 'Predator' with the factory fluted barrel. I moved it to a Bell and Carlson stock and now have a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 on it.

CSK2oOl.jpg

LB55r3Y.jpg

After not getting out at all last year I am up to 6 hogs in one outing. Furthest kill was 300 yards with my 204. I'll hopefully be able to get out more this year.

I've managed to get 2 last week. I usually get 1 a year around my barn. No many around here and most locals have never seen a ground hog in their life.

All:
Hello from NW Ohio. I am hoping to harvest Groundhog #31 for the season sometime this week. He is one I missed earlier this season when a really loud prop airplane made him break for it just as I started squeezing the trigger. He is still eating the farmer's beans and with temps here in the high 90s all week the game may or may not be out in the evening. Hopefully he will be out this evening around 7:15 PM, and I can gain some shade in the fence row.

Only 5 for the year so far. The hot weather here in Ohio has made it miserable as far as hunting goes. Patiently waiting for it to cool down and hopefully I can get a few more before the beans get too high. Long shot 222 yards, using a CZ 527 in 17 Hornet. Man is it a fun little round.

Ground hog hunting has been a little slow so far, only 11 for me. Along with the most disappointing miss of the year, missed one at 600 yards by an inch. Guesstimated the wind, which is why I missed. Oh well, I'll proly get another chance at him sometime.

We have had 4 days of soft rain and clouds here in NW OH - much appreciated for the corn and bean crops after weeks of 90+ degree days and little rain. My count stands at 34 for the year, and I am going hunting later this PM.

Back