Night hunts in southern Illinois, scanner help

Originally Posted By: varminter .223I wish you could set the p i p magnification to what you wanted as opposed to just double the main screen but it might pixelate too bad. It never hurts to ask Bering, but I doubt this will change.

There is no comparison between the ls64 and the hogster. Unfortunately I was one of the ones that paid $5,700 for one 6 years ago. Flir replaced mine with the LSXR64 and there is still no comparison. You will love the helion although the hogsters are very nice for the money. I hope your successful but If your hunting southern Illinois be prepared for some IR glow runners. Especially if you have two guys running an ir in your hunting group.

Don't get a monster torch just get something small. As stated above you will burn some with your ir and they will have none of it. The helion handhelds are great tool for deer hunting as well. I see all kinds of deer that I would have never seen in the timber in the daytime having thermal. I even killed a coyote with my bow last November while deer hunting in a thick logged timber that I would have never seen without thermal. I seen him in some thick brush and I would have never seen him without the thermal. I killed another one a couple hours later that was a heck of a hunt.

Last edited:
Thanks, Korey, I'll certainly remember that. I've always been careful about that with my little ScoutI guess I'd always assumed such an intense heat source would damage a thermal, but this is the first confirmation.

Originally Posted By: varminter .223Don't get a monster torch just get something small. As stated above you will burn some with your ir and they will have none of it. The helion handhelds are great tool for deer hunting as well. I see all kinds of deer that I would have never seen in the timber in the daytime having thermal. I even killed a coyote with my bow last November while deer hunting in a thick logged timber that I would have never seen without thermal. I seen him in some thick brush and I would have never seen him without the thermal. I killed another one a couple hours later that was a heck of a hunt.

Varminter/Bigweb.. I'll just use the one that comes with it this season. But as a replacement next season, I was looking at the 3in1 options from Wicked, so I'd have both 850 and 940 within reach. What is the consensus on the Wicked lights?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BigdwebsterThere is no comparison between the ls64 and the hogster. Unfortunately I was one of the ones that paid $5,700 for one 6 years ago. Flir replaced mine with the LSXR64 and there is still no comparison.

There we go. Thanks for chiming in. I was really hoping to hear from someone who had also experienced the LS64 for some perspective on how it stacked up. Makes me even more excited to be getting something modern

Back