Lets Talk about Barrels. DPMS -Gen2 AR10

The Duke

I have shot out the factory barrel and am getting terrible groups now. Well I wasn't getting that great to begin with. ha

I want to stay with Hornady SST 165 grain.

What do you guys recommend to look at?

16'' barrel length. want to stay as light weight as possible.

I know anything in stock right now is a challenge I can wait until things get caught back up. Just need some direction if you have already gone down this road.

Thanks!

Bca has 20" STD counter 8 twist in stock if your in a hurry. I have two of them. They do decent with 70s and 60s but I've never tried the heavier bullets. I reckon you could always have one cut down to put your flamethrower back together LOL. Given their rifle length gas 18 may be as short as you could go though.

Last edited:
FWIW CDNN had 260 Rem and 243 Win for about $80 iirc....i was thinking of buying one of each at that price just to have and find a Gen 2 receiver set-up after the current madness is over. DOnt know if you're looking for factory or aftermarket bbls?

I could go either way factory or aftermarket. Ideally I want to be MOA or less.

Yes I only shoot with a can no point with out it.

Not to dispute varminter, he's forgot more than I know about this stuff but I don't believe the BCA barrels will work with the G2 platform.

I'd like to eventually put a carbon fiber on mine (even though I haven't even shot it yet) hahaha. Only issue is I don't think anyone makes them for the G2. I did some research and Wilson and Craddock are two that seemed to make solid options. I'd like to go longer on my 20" 243 to see if it would quiet it down more.

Although I haven't shot mine yet, I had the displeasure many a time last season of standing next to an identical one going off with the same suppressor I use. I knew immediately it was gonna be too [beeep] loud for my liking but would rather use my bow than step down to a 223. My 22" bolt gun sounds like a popcorn fart in comparison to the DPMS!

Gonna be some cut throat competition between my 243s to see which gets the starting role this night season. Lol

Originally Posted By: P&YNot to dispute varminter, he's forgot more than I know about this stuff but I don't believe the BCA barrels will work with the G2 platform.

I'd like to eventually put a carbon fiber on mine (even though I haven't even shot it yet) hahaha. Only issue is I don't think anyone makes them for the G2. I did some research and Wilson and Craddock are two that seemed to make solid options. I'd like to go longer on my 20" 243 to see if it would quiet it down more.

Although I haven't shot mine yet, I had the displeasure many a time last season of standing next to an identical one going off with the same suppressor I use. I knew immediately it was gonna be too [beeep] loud for my liking but would rather use my bow than step down to a 223. My 22" bolt gun sounds like a popcorn fart in comparison to the DPMS!

Gonna be some cut throat competition between my 243s to see which gets the starting role this night season. Lol

could be wrong on barrel compatibility.... admittedly I'm not as up to snuff on the Lar/Gen 2 / ArmaLite differences since I only have an lar platform. not finding a whole lot on the internet about it either.

Originally Posted By: varminter .223Originally Posted By: P&YNot to dispute varminter, he's forgot more than I know about this stuff but I don't believe the BCA barrels will work with the G2 platform.

could be wrong on barrel compatibility.... admittedly I'm not as up to snuff on the Lar/Gen 2 / ArmaLite differences since I only have an lar platform. not finding a whole lot on the internet about it either.

I'm not either but I think he needs a specific G2 barrel, they have a proprietary barrel extension as I understand it.

(OP no experience with brand you mentioned)

Yes, G2 barrels are a completely different set up. I have a 243, and bought 2 extra 243 barrels and a 260 barrel from cdnn, all 20". No 308 barrels though. They still have 16' and 20" 260 barrels, $80 if you're interested. Might still have 16" 243 barrels too, haven't looked in a while.

Back