Newbie etiquette??

Jim Byers

What are your "rules of engagement" so to speak when taking newbies calling? Do you let coyotes get away hoping your guest will make the shot?

This past couple weeks I've been taking a coworker along in the evenings, it's been painful.. haha.. Multiple coyotes have came in and left unscathed.. Most without a shot being fired. Do you guys let them go? I don't want to be a dog hog, but......

Originally Posted By: Jim ByersWhat are your "rules of engagement" so to speak when taking newbies calling? Do you let coyotes get away hoping your guest will make the shot?

This past couple weeks I've been taking a coworker along in the evenings, it's been painful.. haha.. Multiple coyotes have came in and left unscathed.. Most without a shot being fired. Do you guys let them go? I don't want to be a dog hog, but......

Lay down the law! I tell newbies like it is, I usually coach people on the 2 hour drive out.

Coyotes here are worth $$$$. I have an area I am responsible to watch and shoot, your partner should be on the same page!

Originally Posted By: Mr. PoppadopalisOriginally Posted By: Jim ByersWhat are your "rules of engagement" so to speak when taking newbies calling? Do you let coyotes get away hoping your guest will make the shot?

Lay down the law! I tell newbies like it is, I usually coach people on the 2 hour drive out.

Coyotes here are worth $$$$. I have an area I am responsible to watch and shoot, your partner should be on the same page!

^^^+1 Pelts have no value here but am obligated to landowners to remove the coyotes. I sit close enough to a newbie to verbally communicate, tell them to take the shot as it is presented. I acquire the target, ask them it they are on target....if no shot or affirmative response pretty quick, I shoot. They (the newbies) learn pretty fast IME.
cool.gif

Regards,
hm

I'm a terrible coyote hunter so I never take anyone other than my 7 yr old with me. However, I've taken a friend and his son on a deer hunt which turned into a coyote hunt.

I waited as long as I could before taking the shot, and missed! I still hate that day.

The next year I took the kid to the same place and let a coyote live after he was in my scope, looking at me! 15 minutes later the little smart-[beeep] got his first buck. It was worth skipping the coyote.
BTW, I do like the kid. Somewhat.

Depends on the age of the newbie, beyond that fire at will!
I will admit letting a few go each year for photo purposes, I will get them later since they trust me now.

Newbies go out on public land and I try to give them the shot. Only taking one myself if they can't, it's nice to have one in the bag to give a skinning lesson also.

Originally Posted By: Jim Byers Do you let coyotes get away hoping your guest will make the shot?

Often.

'Ell... I let them get away hoping my hunting partner of several decades will make the shot. It's just a coyote. No big deal. I'm not beholden to anyone to kill anything. And wouldn't ever want to be.

- DAA

I appreciate both perspectives, and I find myself sitting on the proverbial fence. I'm not obligated to kill coyotes. I hunt public land primarily. I do it cause I enjoy the game. I prefer to educate as few as possible though, I educate plenty by myself!. Lol.

Originally Posted By: DAAOriginally Posted By: Jim Byers Do you let coyotes get away hoping your guest will make the shot?

Often.

'Ell... I let them get away hoping my hunting partner of several decades will make the shot. It's just a coyote. No big deal. I'm not beholden to anyone to kill anything. And wouldn't ever want to be.

- DAA

Im with Dave, who gives a crap! What is worse is going with some greedy bastage that wants to shoot every coyote that comes in. Everyone has to learn, and its hard when you have a coyote hog along. Just have fun. Life is short, and there are plenty of coyotes.

If you are so hard pressed that you cant let a coyote get away, then hunt by yourself.

By newbie, do you mean new to hunting or new to coyote hunting. If he is a hunter he should be able to catch on pretty quick. If new to hunting in general let him watch and learn, no gun needed, at least for a couple trips.

If I take somebody and I want them to do the shooting I'll give them a limited amount of time and if I feel like they can't make it happen then their time is up and I will be shooting. When it's time to shoot it's time to shoot.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: btech29Originally Posted By: DAAOriginally Posted By: Jim Byers Do you let coyotes get away hoping your guest will make the shot?

Often.

- DAA

Im with Dave, who gives a crap! What is worse is going with some greedy bastage that wants to shoot every coyote that comes in. Everyone has to learn, and its hard when you have a coyote hog along. Just have fun. Life is short, and there are plenty of coyotes.

If you are so hard pressed that you cant let a coyote get away, then hunt by yourself.

Angry much Dog Hog???

Hahahahaaaaaaa

I normally stick to huntin with people that know how it's supposed to work. But the few times I have hunted with someone new to it I don't feel like they learned anything by seeing a coyote run off. In my experience it causes people to get more discouraged than anything. Seeing results and how things are supposed to happen is a lot more productive in many ways.

But no I don't let coyotes get away on purpose. If they're gonna shoot they better get on it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mr. PoppadopalisOriginally Posted By: btech29Originally Posted By: DAAOriginally Posted By: Jim Byers Do you let coyotes get away hoping your guest will make the shot?

Often.

- DAA

Angry much Dog Hog???

Hahahahaaaaaaa

Lol, not angry at all. I just dont get all wound up over a dang coyote. If you hunt with me you will always do the lions share of the shooting. I have hunted with a few deak heads over the years. I will never treat someone like that. I can kill as good as anyone reading this thread. I also guide. Yes, its is painful sometimes, but I will never treat someone badly over missing a coyote, or letting one get away. I just dont care that much about a silly coyote. Everyone has to learn. If you want to show "tough love" then more power to ya. I choose to treat people with respect. If it gets too bad I may not invite you again, but I will not belittle a man over an animal.

I will add: I doubt anyone posting on this thread are as hard core a "killer for hire" as they let on. I doubt anyone is doing this professionally.

Originally Posted By: btech29Originally Posted By: Mr. PoppadopalisOriginally Posted By: btech29Originally Posted By: DAAOriginally Posted By: Jim Byers Do you let coyotes get away hoping your guest will make the shot?

Often.

- DAA

Angry much Dog Hog???

Hahahahaaaaaaa

Lol, not angry at all. I just dont get all wound up over a dang coyote. If you hunt with me you will always do the lions share of the shooting. I have hunted with a few deak heads over the years. I will never treat someone like that. I can kill as good as anyone reading this thread. I also guide. Yes, its is painful sometimes, but I will never treat someone badly over missing a coyote, or letting one get away. I just dont care that much about a silly coyote. Everyone has to learn. If you want to show "tough love" then more power to ya. I choose to treat people with respect. If it gets too bad I may not invite you again, but I will not belittle a man over an animal.

I will add: I doubt anyone posting on this thread are as hard core a "killer for hire" as they let on. I doubt anyone is doing this professionally.

Yep you are angry!

My first year of Coyotee hunting I killed 5 really nice ones, 2nd year I kilt 6....

I have been crushin it the past 3 years by getting 10% more Coyotes.
Last year I got 11 and that was 1 heck of a year for this ol boy I’m a tellin ya!

You sayin you kilt more than 11 Coyotees last year?

If so I wreckon I come out yer way fer son fun and fur;-)

Originally Posted By: hm1996They (the newbies) learn pretty fast IME.
cool.gif

I don’t have the amount of coyote hunting experience that many of you do, but I have been a hunter since early childhood, a decent hunter and good shot. For me at least, learning to hunt a new species generally doesn’t take long in understanding what’s involved. One thing that does annoy me though (on a couple of different hunts) is where the guide said “shoot” , sometimes repeatedly when I knew that I didn’t have a good shot. He might have had from his position, but I didn’t.

My hunting style is to not rush to squeeze a trigger until I am reasonably confident I can make the shot. One guide in Texas got angry that I didn’t shoot at a bobcat he called in. He could see it plainly from his position. From where I was sitting all I could see was tall grass and brush. Just throwing lead down range is not what I’m about. Another bobcat calling night this same guide told me to shoot (shotgun) when he had eyes in his redlight. I whispered to him “it’s a raccoon.” He apparently didn’t hear me, and got angry that I was slow and kept saying shoot. I figured he may have had a raccoon nuisance problem and wanted it taken out, so I shot it. Afterwards he got mad I wasted an expensive shotgun shell (his) on a raccoon. I know this particular guide is not representative of most, but it does go to show a disconnect between hunter and guide that does happen sometimes.

I think most true hunters that have any experience at all in the woods / fields and behind a gun will catch on quickly, but then there are those who just aren’t hunters or don’t have much experience with hunting and firearms. Those are the people who may not seem to grasp things as quickly and not be able to pull it all together to get a coyote on the ground.

Back