6.5 caliber-90g Speer TNT

This will get me some flack(it has in the past), but you're asking for load advice?
Sorry, but I had to say it.

Good luck, I'm sure there are some loads out there. I just don't have them or anything 6.5mm.

Just CYA, I know this guy has more known reliable loads than most reloading manuals in more calibers than most loading manuals...

Actually, I was wanting to hear some actual hands on experience on the killing ability of the 6.5 caliber 90g tnt bullet on coyotes, and maybe hogs.

I have a 6.5x47 Lapua reamer with short freebore.

Ask me next year, I have five boxes of them on the shelf. I plan to use them in the Grendel and size them down to .260 for my drilling(6.5x58R Sauer/16ga/16ga) that I've been using 85gr Sierra's. Even in the drilling I haven't killed coyote with the rifle barrel, all have died by the shotgun barrels maybe this year as I plan to use it more.

I have shot 3 coyotes so far with the 90 speed out of a 6.5 creedmoor so far it has been fur friendly with no exits to exits the size of a dime. Shots have ranged from 90 yards to 200 yards. Bullet is going right around 3400 fps. Need to get a few more kills with it but so far so good. All have been drt.

Worked up a load using IMR 4320. Reloaded some with Varget. Both shoot nice groups. Ready to try on the coyotes this fall. I have 10 lbs of IMR 4320 so I will be using it on the Speer 90 gr. bullet for coyotes. Just going to see what it does. Dedicated round is the Ruger 204 though.

Rudy

There's a guy on 6.5 grendel forum that uses the factory ammo to shoot hogs, 90 gr tnt from Federal iirc. Seems to work ok.

The gent above has worked with TNT bullet. The velocity of the Grendel, it performs well. From his work on hogs, I think it would make a good whitetail bullet at those speeds.
I have seen the varmint bullets work well in SP’s with the reduced speed.

I could never get the 90 grain TNT's to ever stay seated properly. It seems like when you seat them they're tight and then all of a sudden they just hit a loose spot like it over stretches the brass and there's zero neck tention.

Last edited:
Have issues with both 6.8 and 6.5 90's staying seated. I've tried bushing dies as well once the base of that bullet goes through the tension is gone. I've never had this issue with any other bullet. It's probably not bad enough it would be a problem in a bolt gun but in an AR-15 it is a problem for sure.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: varminter .223I could never get the 90 grain TNT's to ever stay seated properly. It seems like when you seat them they're tight and then all of a sudden they just hit a loose spot like it over stretches the brass and there's zero neck tention.
In my experience with TNT's the bearing surface is very short and so the necks wont hold the bullet if you seat a tad deep with them.

I would agree with neck tension on the 90 TNT being an issue in an AR. I'm not sure if it is the bearing surface or what, but I have to crimp the snot out of them and even then they still move sometimes. It may have to do with the ogive coupled with the mag length restriction in the AR. I have shot some pretty big pigs with them and they work fine as far as terminal performance goes, can't remember if I have shot any coyotes with them or not.

I have gone to the 95 VMAX in my Grendel for all my night shooting, hogs and coyotes. Seems they stay seated much better than the TNT, and my Grendel really likes them. So far they have been putting down everything I shoot with them. At Grendel speeds they are not as explosive (mine is a 16" barrel for night hunting with a can), but they open up real good and don't bounce as bad as some of the heavier bullets. I am shooting them about 2625 fps.

Originally Posted By: hickerx2Originally Posted By: varminter .223I could never get the 90 grain TNT's to ever stay seated properly. It seems like when you seat them they're tight and then all of a sudden they just hit a loose spot like it over stretches the brass and there's zero neck tention.
In my experience with TNT's the bearing surface is very short and so the necks wont hold the bullet if you seat a tad deep with them.

That is what I was thinking.

So, in a 6.5x47 Lapua with .020 freebore, this bullet should be exceptional, same with a 260 Rem with .020 freebore, and creed with the same.

Back