What's the fastest 22 cal built on the AR 15 platform

22 nxs
22 Nosler 3500 with 55s in 22"
22 x 6.8
In that order
Nxs it's probably a hair faster and the 22 by 6.8 is probably right behind the 22 Nosler depending on how hard you want to push your brass.

If you want to run fast on a shorter barrel move up to the 6 mm versions

We have killed piles of coyote with a 22 Nosler and 55 bts at 3500 but for a while I switch to the 6x6.8 10 twist shooting 70 ballistic tips 3270 and in my opinion it dumps them harder. 29.7 grains of ARComp in Hornady brass with a 450 primer and 70 BT's at 2.305ish oal has worked in multiple barrels.
Next with the advent of the $300 ambidextrous BCA 243 uppers we went that route and that really dumps them.
The problem with the nxs an 22x 6.8 is that they are only available in a 1/7 or 1/8 twist which to me is too fast. Greg will be along here shortly to dispute that though LOL.

Imo the coyote killingest easiest to load round is the 6x6.8 or 6 DTI. shooting 70 or 75 grain bullets.
For simplicity my next choice would be the 22 Nosler in a 12 twist shooting 55s.

Last edited:
55gr sierra bt 3623 fps.
60gr sierra bt 3450 fps.
52gr hornady bt.3850 fps.
53gr vmax 3839 fps.

22x6.8 22 inch barrel Rich Johnson upper
22dti 22 inch barrel Mike Millie upper DTI

I can run 40gr bullets at or above 4000 fps.
Currently run 60gr for killing coyotes.

Originally Posted By: varminter .22322 nxs
22 Nosler 3500 with 55s in 22"
22 x 6.8
In that order
Nxs it's probably a hair faster and the 22 by 6.8 is probably right behind the 22 Nosler depending on how hard you want to push your brass.

If you want to run fast on a shorter barrel move up to the 6 mm versions

We have killed piles of coyote with a 22 Nosler and 55 bts at 3500 but for a while I switch to the 6x6.8 10 twist shooting 70 ballistic tips 3270 and in my opinion it dumps them harder. 29.7 grains of ARComp in Hornady brass with a 450 primer and 70 BT's at 2.305ish oal has worked in multiple barrels.
Next with the advent of the $300 ambidextrous BCA 243 uppers we went that route and that really dumps them.
The problem with the nxs an 22x 6.8 is that they are only available in a 1/7 or 1/8 twist which to me is too fast. Greg will be along here shortly to dispute that though LOL.

Imo the coyote killingest easiest to load round is the 6x6.8 or 6 DTI. shooting 70 or 75 grain bullets.
For simplicity my next choice would be the 22 Nosler in a 12 twist shooting 55s.

Actually over the screens the 22X6.8 is a tiny tad faster than the Nosler as you aren't fighting the rebated rim. One that will be a bit faster also is the 22 LBC but it is held back a little as it won't run max pressures quite with the 6.8 based cases.

On the NXS it's shooting the very light bullets very well. It's one of those things that work and who am I to question that? I have many 50 and 55 grain Nosler BT groups well under 0.5" and knowing my shooting ability that's not as good as they could be. It does like the Sierra 60's also.

Greg

I would argue that going to a slower twist would allow for tighter groups more consistently and allow higher speeds with pressure reductions. Some people might question groups tighter than a half inch but I think it probably needs to be said that you're measuring your groups from edge to edge not center to center. No doubt arguing for one cartridge over the other is splitting hairs as far as a coyote internals are concerned.
I will also argue that the rebated rim issue does not exist with the 22 Nosler brass like some here say. It will swipe but so will the 6.8 brass when pressures climbs. I lose just as many pockets in the 6.8 brass when pushed.

Last edited:
My groups are CTC. If I had access to a slower twist poly barrel I'd get my checkbook out in a heart beat.

The Nosler rims take a beating when you run them up at the top end compared to a 6.8 rim. At least they do in my rifle.

Greg

Last edited:
Post em up.
Are the groups with the higher velocity loads as good?
One maybe worth mentioning is the 22 Nosler with the six Hagar brass which I've yet to try but I have ample brass sitting around maybe one day.

Last edited:
My experience with a twist fast 22 caliber is fairly limited but I have a 22 inch poly 3 black hole 22 Nosler that is 1/8 twist and it will not shoot anything except the 53 vmax but it shoots it wonderfully. I assume because it's long for it's weight. As far as the 12 twist 22 Noslers I've had multiple WOA 22" barrels that shot just about everything in that 50 to 55 grain weight around max load an inch or better for five shots including the 55 grain Dogtown factory ammo.
As far as the faster twist scrubbing speed my 18 inch poly three 6 by 45 shoots the same load with 60 Sierra hollow points the same speed as a 10 twist with a 2 inch shorter barrel. According to my math the twist is slowing it down about 60 feet per second. Worse yet when I put my 3300 feet per second aa2200 load in the 8 twist it goes to softball size pattern where is it will linger around an inch in the 10 twist.

I think rather than just looking at speed it's more important to look at what speed the rifle will shoot accurately and will it shoot the bullet that you want to be shooting accurately at top speed. I think it's also necessary to factor in what powders work and what kind of barrel length you're going to have because most guys aren't sporting 24-inch Ars in the predator fields. Add in suppressors and you've got a whole nother issue with barrel length. However sadly being I'm in the commie state of Illinois I obviously don't have that problem.

Last edited:
Some groups shot when looking for initial data scanned last year.

4WRq9qr.jpg

DrUagPy.jpg

C1bPbI4.jpg

Greg

My constituents would ask me where's the other two in those groups lol?
CFE is definitely a guy's friend in these cartridges.
I'm guessing the extra couple inches of barrel length you're shooting is really helping the other powders.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: varminter .223My constituents would ask me where's the other two in those groups lol?
CFE is definitely a guy's friend in these cartridges.
I'm guessing the extra couple inches of barrel length you're shooting is really helping the other powders.

LOL!!

Your constituents aren't paying my bills. Yes extra length is good and the speeds are there across two separate tubes I have shot. CFE works really well in all these smaller capacity set ups and 8208 shines on occasion too,

Here's a group that I saved that Ritch sent me early on.

V86IDNh.jpg

Greg

Last edited:
I forgot about the wssm.
That 3850 is probably closer to 3700 on a 22-inch barrel though. The 6 x 6. 8 with h322 powder and 55s will come very close to that and will hit it with a 22-inch barrel if you can get it to group well in your gun and it will retain the big magazine capacity. The wssm's lack of magazine capacity and extra expense of ammo I guess is why I don't have one.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: varminter .223I forgot about the wssm.
That 3850 is probably closer to 3700 on a 22-inch barrel though. The 6 x 6. 8 with h322 powder and 55s will come very close to that if you can get it to group well in your gun and it will retain the big magazine capacity. The wssm's lack of magazine capacity and ector extra expense of ammo I guess is why I don't have one.

I agree. Lack of factory ammo/brass even in its heyday was not good. I don't think I've seen a box of it on the shelves for several years. I have a 25 WSSM and around 500 pieces of brass. It's fun to shoot but I do want to baby that barrel. I abhorred the fact that magazines were so hard to get and expensive until I found out 450 Bushmasters work muy bueno.

Greg

I bought a dtech 243 wssm but I bought the brass first. Was readily available at Midway 1-2 years ago - both Winchester and Hornady brass. Right now, all components and loaded ammo are probably hard to find. The shilen select match barrels shoot VERY well.

I've got an entire unopened box of 243 wssm brass in my basement I suspect it'll just sit there awhile. You've heard of a Roth IRA that's a WSSM IRA lol.
My buddy has a fast twist DTI 243 wssm but I can't get it to function I'm waiting on him by some factory ammo to see if that will function.

Last edited:
Yeah. I bought all my 25 from a local shop that almost begged me to buy it. That stuff is the thickest and hardest brass to work with that I have ever seen. It's so heavy I hope no one every throws a piece of it at me. I agree the stuff is appreciating in value.

Greg

Amazing - 223 wssm brass is currently available at Midway right now! I wouldn't buy a wssm upper unless I had brass and/or ammo already in hand. The neck thickness on wssm brass does seem to run on the thick side, so you sort of have to load the rounds a bit on the hot side. I have a couple of dtech uppers (243 wssm and 20P) and they ran fine right out of the box (knock on wood!).

Last edited:
We go through probably at least 500 rounds per year night hunting coyotes there's something to be said for brass that processes easy especially when I have to load it all. And yes that WSSM brass is heavy. It trims hard, it sizes hard but I will admit it is a beastly round but I don't want to have to deal with it in great volumes.
I realize this thread is about the fastest 22-caliber but I swear up and down you can't beat the 6x6.8 shooting 70s if you don't want to fire form. The 6 DTI would be a great option to with the shilen barrel but I I don't see any other advantage until you fire form, and then you're probably still not going to shoot a different load than what you shot to fire form. The Shilen blank is the only advantage I see for someone who shoots anything other than a minimum volume of ammo like say maybe for deer hunting.

Last edited:
If I went with a 22 6.8 what brand of brass and are their dies for that round..Or would I need type S die.. And also what about the 6 6.8..I want to run a 22 inch barrel to keep weight down and still have the speed... 223 wssm I heard was a barrel burner.. Dan

Back