Going Big Bore

Bowhntr6pt

Decided to pull out the .50 Beowulf this afternoon and see if I could get a hog or two before trying a new field for coyote.

These are my hand loaded 334gr Plated HP's running 1900 FPS. They hit hard.

Didn't tale long to get this boar, shot him at about 75 yards... not a good hit, was high on the neck, you can see the big exit hole, took another shot.

Was getting ready to pack things up when this sow came out, she was shot at about 50 yards and was DRT...

Tried out a new field for coyote, after a little calling this female with the mange came in. She was shot at about 100 yards...

All in all... and good afternoon out and a good night hunt.

I'll say! Very nice and great photos. Well done!
I was out last night chasing hogs and it was a sweet 46*. Why wasn't it that cool during March?

Nice post Bowhntr6pt
Brian

Originally Posted By: Big Bend BrianI'll say! Very nice and great photos. Well done!
I was out last night chasing hogs and it was a sweet 46*. Why wasn't it that cool during March?

Nice post Bowhntr6pt
Brian

Thank you Sir.

Good job Bowhntr. It’s nice to see a different cartridge used sometimes, especially one like the .50 Beowulf. Keeps things interesting. I have a .444 Marlin that has accounted for a couple of hogs. I guess it’s kind-of a big bore. Very accurate rifle with 265 gr. Hornady flat points.

thumbup.gif
Oh Yeah!

Like that old Marlin Triple Four! I have a 1974 straight grip .45-70 that I'm very fond of. A .45 caliber 405 grs. of bullet at 1860 fps knocks critters deader than disco.

Going big bore can be fun fun. My 454 is somewhat big bore, and does speak to the hogs with authority. I want to get a 500JRH as I believe that should be big bore for sure.
6mm06 if it starts with 4 or 5 ,,,,, I kinda figure it big bore.
Good to see different calibers used here,,,, rifles or pistols.

Originally Posted By: GCLike that old Marlin Triple Four! I have a 1974 straight grip .45-70 that I'm very fond of.
Got mine in 1976.

Have you tried a different powder in that 50B? Seems slow for a 334g in that length of barrel. My S&W 460XVR shoots 315g at 2150fps from just 8 3/4 barrel.

Originally Posted By: BigPigHave you tried a different powder in that 50B? Seems slow for a 334g in that length of barrel. My S&W 460XVR shoots 315g at 2150fps from just 8 3/4 barrel.

Don’t know his recipe but it could be because of plated bullets. They cause pressures to run higher,,, and this might be hindering him. I tried plated bullets once and will never use them again.

Originally Posted By: BigPigHave you tried a different powder in that 50B? Seems slow for a 334g in that length of barrel. My S&W 460XVR shoots 315g at 2150fps from just 8 3/4 barrel.

No Sir, the data is from Alexander Arms and honestly because they have functioned well I've really not done any other load work. I have only used the Rainer Plated bullets but have often thought about trying others.

Originally Posted By: cherokeetrackerOriginally Posted By: BigPigHave you tried a different powder in that 50B? Seems slow for a 334g in that length of barrel. My S&W 460XVR shoots 315g at 2150fps from just 8 3/4 barrel.

Don’t know his recipe but it could be because of plated bullets. They cause pressures to run higher,,, and this might be hindering him. I tried plated bullets once and will never use them again.

I'm using the data from AA, 37.7 grs. Lil'Gun with magnum primer. Matches the stated velocity at 1900 FPS.

I'm pretty sure the bullets are plated.

Back