Bog pod Death Grip tripod.

AWS

Retired PM Staff
I'm going to make a few more forays into more open country calling and am looking at rifle holding tripods. This will be for occasional use not a steady thing as close in stuff is my favorite type of calling.

Any thoughts on the tripod set up in the title?

Thanks
AWS

I have one and it is very sturdy and grips the rifle well and seems not quite fluid when rotating the rifle on it in all movement..My only complaint that is really an issue at night is that the head does not tilt.. There is a level on the tripod that has to be used when setting up the tripod so when swivel the rifle the cross hairs on scope do not cant. During the day it's not bad but at night just an extra step I would not rather do. Dan

Last edited:
I don't believe one will find anything better for under 150$..Just a saddle alone costs that much if not more.. I myself have bought a lot of hunting gear and it just sits around not being used..If you buy it from Amazon and it's not what you expected, send it back and nothing lost on your half really.. Dan

Thanks for the info. Two +'s and no - it sounds like the brown truck will be stopping here again.

Thanks
AWS

I caught the carbon fiber unit on sale at Amazon for $200 shipped. I bought it even though I had previously bought the aluminium one and broke one of the clamps by my carelessness. You cant hardly get replacement clamps so be careful with the cam lever clamps on the legs. The rifle clamp is awesome and I dont really miss not having the sideways tilt. The aluminium one is HEAVY.

Well it arrived and is nice, my portable bench might spend more time in the garage as the rifle is really steady on the tripod. It is heavy though, almost heavier than the rifle but I guess that helps make it steady. I have a few old camera tripods, sturdy but lighter and see about just a saddle I guess BOGPOD will be selling just the head.

Last edited:
Yes I have seen also about the top end being sold seperate but have not found a price on it. Amazon has the yoke that holds 17 lb. And it is like under 30$ I think it was..Also seen two saddles on there one for around 85$ and another for 130$..I would guess if one has the legs in the right position and the tripod should be sturdy when rifle just resting on the mount.. Mine at first did not seem heavy and actually got lighter over time..Maybe don't notice it much when use alot..Dan

Amazon has the new Ultralight Bogpod magnesium saddle listed for $78 and some change. I found it by googling tripod saddles and it had a link to amazon. I tried a search on amazon but couldn't find it until I entered the name exactly not just a description. It is new enough not to have any reviews.

Here's a link to amazon listing.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B083CDQRS9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have one ordered, should be here next week.

Last edited:
I just looked at that link and they got the graphite one for the price of what I paid for aluminum one and now the aluminum one is 127$.

Let me know how it works. If I’m reading it right, I could use that with the tripod I already own and clamp in a bolt action rifle. Right now I’m limited to ARs using a direct mount plate on a rail.

That's the way it looks to me also. I'm going to set it up with a quick release for a video camera (33# capacity) so I can swap in my spotting scope

I have the aluminum after using a buddy's for a while... i will say it exceeded my expectations. IT IS HEAVY, but i made a sling for it and makes it manageable as long as you don't carry much into the field.

I have found that, like anything, if you care for it it will last... I try to keep mine clean, and greased up so the legs slide out quietly and smoothly and the swivel is smooth... the clamps on the leg I've heard are prone to breaking off and my buddy did not take care of his and a couple years in one of his broke and the head is squeaky and DEFINITELY not smooth. I feel like the tilt tension is not ideal if your gun is balanced in the saddle.

Word of advice... to get an AR rifle balanced well in the saddle, pick up a 10 round clip b/c a 30 round with bump into the pod and restrict your horizontal movement.

Also the levers that adjust the leg angle of the pod get bumped often and setup up gets tricky in the dark... so I taped them off in the highest position. I only hunt standing so this works for me.

really interested in the ultralight head and possible mounting on a lighter pod... Please update us on your current project!!

Here's the update.

head with quick detach mount (quick detach is separate Neewar)
jNC6sK.jpg

With spotting scope
LfNHIB.jpg

With rifle
WWPIeO.jpg

The quick release has a locking lever but also a safety button so the base doesn't slip out when you release the locking lever.

Last edited:
So if I already have a tripod with a ball head that accepts an Arca Swiss plate, this Bog Pod clamp will work? What are your initial thoughts on the quality of the clamp?

So far it seems pretty solid. The tripod brand is unknown, I found it in the dumpster where I was camping at PM Hunt. The campground host said that someone had left it in a campsite and he had it in his trailer for three years and decided to toss it. The head on it was from an old tripod I had that broke so I swapped them out as this one is much smoother.

I will say that the BogPod tripod is very sturdy and is worth the $50. additional over just the saddle. This way I can just have one tripod in the truck and just swap out the saddle, spotting scope and chrono/camera with additional quick change bases

Back