Hog Caliber

Brian Shoop

I have a hog hunt in Texas in a few weeks and am looking for some advice on caliber. At this point, I have two options.

1. Remington 700 in .223
2. Ruger 77/22 in 22 hornet

I dont have an option of buying another gun and shots will be over feeders and probably about 50 yards or less.

Thoughts?

I would second the .223. I would even step up to 62+ grain bullets only go heavier than 64 if your rifle has a twist rate of 1:8 or faster. I agree the head shot behind the eat would be preferred, but if you have to go for the boiler room the heavier bullet will be a much better choice.

Of the rifles you have to choose from, the .223 will work best in my opinion. As already stated, head shots will drop them. I have used a 6x45 (223 necked up to 6mm) and Sierra 75 gr. HP’s with good success. I would stay away from fragile V-Max type bullets. As mentioned too, maybe step up to a 60-62 gr. bullet if your rifle will shoot them well. Accuracy is required for making clean head shots. Also, a hog shot behind the shoulder can run a long way sometimes, even from hits with large calibers, so take head shots like previously mentioned.

Back