OPTIC HELP FOR CONTENDER PISTOL?

smsnyder

I have a new contender pistol in Ruger 204. I want to scope it to hunt ground hogs. I am looking at a Burris 2x 7 handgun scope with extended eye relief. Most of my shooting will be under 200 yards. What due you guys think? What other scopes you guys like on this pistol? Some guys are using rifle scopes. Any reason?

I've used the burris & its good glass. I would stick with a decent quality scope for handgun whatever you decide to buy! The cheapo's can dim out at the most inopportune time.

I have that scope on my xp100 7mmbr, and have been happy with it. mine is probably well over 10 years old, still like new.
Barry

I wouldn’t be afraid to put a rifle scope on it myself. You just have to take care to keep back as far as you can with eye relief.

Have used lots of scopes on SP's, and often rifle scopes for higher power, and different reticles. If you can find anymore see if you can get ahold of the 2.5-8X Nikon--it's a good optic with a ballistic reticle and target turret. Leupold 2.5-8X is good and you can install a target turret if you wish. Burris is good as well. That's a geat vmnt cartridge and will net you more range than 200 yds, by a long shot...

Burris makes good handgun scopes. For what you want to do you will be fine with your choice. As far as a ballistic retical that is up to you. They can be nice with some pistols depending upon calibers. The 204 is quite flat shooting, and you may just want to do a little holdover. Depending upon how you sight in. Ex: sighting in high at 100 and possibly using the thickness of the reticle for those shots between 150 and 200 yds to get you close enough for a kill. Plus aiming at head for a body shot,,,
Doing things that can makeup for not having a ballistic reticle. I enjoy having one on my 22 Hornet even though rarely used. (bought that scope for a 257TCU ).
Buying a rifle scope is no problem for a gun that does not kick. Muzzle brakes are the norm for most specialty pistols and some Contenders. Not needed for a 204 caliber. Most shooters that set up and use rifle scopes shoot prone or off a bench.
You tube has some guys shooting 500-1000 yds with pistols and rifle scopes. Specialty pistols weigh a lot more than your contenders, add a heavy barrel and bipod and brake,,, see what I mean? But you will not get scope eye shooting that 204 caliber.
If you do decide to brake your pistol remember to purchase a brake that has NO holes or ports towards the bottom of brake. Nothing worse than having dirt blown in your face, with each shot, when shooting prone. Ground hogs will become wary quickly, when being shot at, and its better to shoot prone so they do not see you quite as easy. Good luck

Straight up, I ain't rich, but I've got a lot of pistol barrels for my contender.
BSA Edge 2-7X32 is an affordable alternate.
I've got it on my 7-30 Waters barrel and my 444 Marlin.
They can be had for under $100 and may serve you well.
The optical quality to the Burris is of no comparison, [beeep].
If you can afford a Burris, buy one.
But if you have many pistol barrels to suit up with optics, you can do 3 times as many if you use an Edge.
7-30-waters-w-target-med.jpg
444-Marlin-w-2-7x32.png

Nice! Couple years ago I was out coyote hunting with a buddy. I was using an XP-100 17 Fireball shooting the 25 V-Max at 3400ish. We were sitting on a quarry edge calling after my buddy had just shot a coyote in the bottom as we approached the stand with his 17HMR rifle. When the stand was about over I glassed around and spotted a bobcat sitting on a hillside watching us at 400ish yds. out. I wasn't going to take the shot as it's really too far for that cartridge on big predators but my buddy convinced me not to pass on a big "check". I have a 2.5-8X Leupold on that setup and have developed a system for the 2.7 MOA Duplex reticle subtension (at 8x) for longer range shooting, and have a sticker in the Butler Creek scope cap cover for it. I think I had to aim at the lower post tip with a bit of up in the scopes M1 target turret. When my buddy was ready I touched off a shot and it hit just to the right of the cat in the snow. The next shot killed it proving the value of a "mathematical system" for whatever multi-stadia reticle you may be using, even simple plex.

SM if you can stabilize the 50 Berger out of that setup I can tell you that bullet works great for predators at least even to longer ranges. I shoot that out of my XP-100 20 BR and it's a great super-reliable combination.

I have that Burris 2-7 on a 13" Contender in .30-30 AI. It's a fine scope for a hunting handgun. I'd buy another. I also have a 2-6 Bushnell that works well on my 14" .223.

Back