Remington model 7

I haven't but a friend of mine has an Ar with a short barrel. It is LOUD!!!!!!!!! Might be apples and oranges but barrel length is the same.

Last edited:
Not 16" but my 308 Savage scout was a 20" barrel including brake. Forgot to pull my muffs down ONCE (did some additional damage to my 80% hearing). Pulled the brake and remaining 18" still loud, but not nearly as loud as w/brake.

Regards,
hm

I have an early Model 7 Predator 223, shoots really well for a light, fast handling hunting rifle. I have it paired with a VX-2 with German 4 reticle and it’s pretty darn handy.

Speaking of loud barrels, shot an 11.5” barrel AR once with a battlecomp brake and no ear protection, felt like someone drove railroad spikes through both ears at the same time. That one shot probably did significant hearing damage.

Originally Posted By: topweldor1Anyone shot the 16 inch 308?

Yes indeed. I have this Model 7 in 308 shown below. Its pretty loud without a suppressor. Its my mountain gun when I'm trecking around in Montana every november. Light and easy to carry in the wilderness. When I shoot it at home here in Georgia I usually slap a suppressor on it.

GN48w4W.jpg

dhzxSVR.jpg

Also have a Model 7 Predator in 223. Cut the barrel to 16" and typically run a suppressor on it. Nice rifle.

03CwV0x.jpg

2FBUCZP.jpg

rJScO8V.jpg

Last edited:
As much as it pains me to say this, I'm not so sure Remington's, much cheaper model 783's, right out of the box, don't shoot better than the the model 7 & 700's.

The Rem 783 may not be the prettiest girl at the dance but they tend to shoot pretty well right out of the box. For a rifle that has a lot of features and doesn't cost much, the Rem "model 783 Walnut" offers a lot of bang for the buck.

Originally Posted By: topweldor1How does it shoot? What kind of accuracy with 3 shot groups? That's what I am looking at, just a accurate hunting rig. Small and light.

Talking averages here....

My 308 can maintain a 1.5-2" 5-shot group with me shooting it at the bench at 100 yards with a 1X Sig red dot sight. 3-shot groups usually better, typically 1".

My 223 can maintain a 1-1.25 5-shot group with me shooting at same distance with a Leupold target scope. 3-shot groups usually better, typically .75" and sometimes .5".

I only shoot factory ammo, and some brands/weights/etc shoot a bit better than the above and some shoot a bit bigger groups occasionally.

I'm happy with the accuracy of mine. I'm 62 and dont shoot as well as I used to due to ageing eyes, etc.

When I'm lugging my 308 up and down steep mountains in Montana, every ounce of weight makes its impact on my bones. The lighter the better. I know my limitations and am not shooting anything over 200 yards away when elk/deer/wolf show up and they're big targets. I really appreciate the LW 7 in 308. I can walk upright holding the gun, muzzle down and it wont hit or drag on the ground. When the snow is deep, I carry the rifle slung out frot "patrol rifle" style. Modified the stock's left side with QD sling attach points so it hangs right out front and I have both hands free. That helps when sliding/falling down the side of a mountain or grabbing something to get up one.

The Predator 7 in 223 is fun to shoot and will probably be getting a night scope or thermal this year for night time yote hunting. It's plenty accurate enough for that task, and it will be sitting on a tripod so its extra weight isnt a big deal to me.

Like any mass produced rifle these days, its a crap shoot on what you get. I dont expect match grade accuracy from a hunting rig and will gladly give up a bit of accuracy for other benefits. If I want match grade accuracy I plull out those heavy barreled guns and sit at the shooting bench. I've been looking at the TC Compass II Compact which has a 1 MOA guarantee. I believe it's available in 243 and 6.5 Creedmore.

Great information, That is the real world I am looking for. I know what you mean about the weight, I have failed back surgery from years ago. I watch out for recoil and weight.

Regards.

I have one in 204 ruger. I swapped out the factory tupperware stock for an ebay wood stock. Didnt shoot 35 grain berger bullets inside a coffee cup. Shot some 39 grain sierra bullet I made for another rifle and they are 3/4 of an inch. Good enough for a calling rigg for yotes. Sometimes fox if you pick your shot placement. Love the short light rifle for long walks.

Not the exact same version but I bought a predator in 243 very reasonable, put it in a HS Precision stock (not bedded) added a Timney trigger also had LRI thread barrel, spiral flute the bolt and cerakote it graphite black... Very happily surprised it shoots under 1/2" (slow fire). That's suppressed using factory Hornady Superformance 58 grain vmaxs with 3.5-10 Leupold VX3i.

I've since moved it into an MDT chassis. Looks great, super quiet, light and accurate. I love mine.

The predators have a lot of bad reviews on the net.

The older models have a lot of glowing reviews on the net.

They are my favorite rifle by far.

Originally Posted By: MartyBThe predators have a lot of bad reviews on the net.

The older models have a lot of glowing reviews on the net.

They are my favorite rifle by far.

I must have lucked out for once and got a good version of something! After handling mine I don't believe I'd pick any other bolt rifle over it. Just wish there was as much aftermarket options as the 700.

Originally Posted By: B23As much as it pains me to say this, I'm not so sure Remington's, much cheaper model 783's, right out of the box, don't shoot better than the the model 7 & 700's.

The Rem 783 may not be the prettiest girl at the dance but they tend to shoot pretty well right out of the box. For a rifle that has a lot of features and doesn't cost much, the Rem "model 783 Walnut" offers a lot of bang for the buck.

+1

Back