Barrel for Rem 700 Build

bozeman

What is recommended barrel contour for a dedicated coyote rig that I want to keep as light weight as possible? Trying to order a stock and currently have a barreled action en route that has a factory sporter with less than 100 rounds through it. If I just use this, what stock inlet should I get for maybe a future change? This is all new to me with buying the parts separately and putting this together. Thanks for any and all advice!

I'd think standard inlet of most 700 stocks would fit a factory sporter with none or very little removal. Are you going to have it bedded? My gunsmith takes care of the fit when he beds it.

As to recommended contour... Do you want light weight rifle or not overly concerned to weight?

It seems that there isn't a lot of standardization in barrel contours so you pretty much depend on the barrel maker. So with your specs go with the lightest barrel they make for that caliber. It is not difficult to open a barrel channel even on a synthetic stock with a piece of sandpaper wrapped around a deep socket, I use sockets as it is easy to keep increasing the socket size to open the barrel channel.

If the barrel is smaller than the existing channel I just call it a serious free float.

Last edited:
Is there a recommended barrel contour?? Highly doubt it as everyone has a different opinion. Someone in their 20's might not mind carrying a 14 pound rifle and a guy in his 60's wants one that weighs 6-7 pounds. I think that is something you have to decide on yourself. I personally like heavier contours. Not so much a full blown varmint contour but larger than a factory sporter. I've read where people build a 6 pound rifle then carry 30 pounds of gear. Kinda defeats the purpose to me. But...we are all individuals and all have different ideas and things that we think works for us. Have fun, get in the woods and enjoy yourself. That is all that really matters.

I'm 60, snowshoe required hunts 10.5-11# is max for me. But the extra weight on the bipod is steadier to shoot. My 26" rem sporter contour(Lilja) 17 rem in a Blackhawk axiom stock with 4-12 Leupold is just over 9# with sling. Good compromise weight and very accurate.

What’s your budget? Do you run or plan to run a surpressor? You can spiral flute a #5 and keep it fairly lite yet.

The Ruger American Predator makes for a nice hunting contour. I would say its near a magnum contour. It is definitely lighter than remington varmint contour. Plenty comfortable to pack around.
Brien

I am really fond of the Tikka CTR Contour and have ordered barrels and bought guns with similar contours because of it. No manufacture seems to have exactly the same specs for a given contour but the closest ive found is a Bartlein #3 Heavy Sporter. Little thicker shank and when i say thicker, its not noticable by the naked eye. This of course is for varmint or predator rifles. For a deer rifle, i like a #2

Back