Remington model 7

The Model 7 predator is on my bucket list, I was interested in the 22-250 but am leaning toward a 223 now.

My BinL and his adult nephew both shoot Model 7 Youth models in 7mm-08 for deer, they fit better with their heavy winter cloths on. They hunt for the freezer and kill a lot of deer. They think the Model 7 is the best deer rifle they've ever owned.

I have a Predator Model 7 in 223.
These models were not vey good sellers for some reason.
I picked mine up on a clearance sale.
No disappointments here.
Best handling bolt rifle I have.

Remington @ one time kinda droped the ball as far as manufacturing goes. I think alot of people ended up with bad rifles due to there worn out tooling. I was one of them! My Mod 7 in 243 had a bannana shaped chamber! in other words,the brass was straighter when it went into the chamber than it was after being fired.

I really like mine short light easy to move around. I reload so i have mine shooting 3/4 min. or so good enough for calling. I pillar bedded mine also and lightened the trigger. and put a different stock on it because the wood one looks really nice.

I found another factory barrel for mine & fixed my problem.. I would agree! They do make a very good pack around rig,pritty accurate to. I just got a bad one,thats all. I bought it used at a good price, so replaceing the barrel on my dime wasn't a huge set back.. IMO, if you buy a Kimber, you should expect excellence! Gotta dig deep for that one though..

Originally Posted By: topweldor1PSYCODOG
What didn't you like about yours? I am thinking the model 7 or Kimber?

Main concern was it lacked the accuracy I expected. 1 1/2-2 inch groups were about the best it would do. After market parts were few and expensive to. Its been a while so maybe things have changed.

I'm sure others have had better experiences with them than me. Both mine were bought used. When I buy used rifles I always figure there was a reason they were sold. Its always a crap shoot buying used rifles.

I have an early model 7. Youth model in 243. Accuracy is 2 1/2" at 100 yards. With Remington 100gr. It needs a real barrel. Great idea poorly implemented.

I bought my first 7 a 243 in 92, 5/8” with Rem 80gr psp. Bought a 2000 laminate stock new in 223 and it was 1.5” gun. Bought a 22-250 CDL it was a 1.75 shooter, but it was beautiful. . I really like the handling of the 7’s that’s why I tried several but I could not get accuracy for my acceptability in the later models. Right now I shoot an LVSF Remington and a compact featherweight Winchester model 70, along with my 1992 model 7 All three shoot under .75” groups. with factory ammo and I don’t send rifles to a smith or do any smithing myself I don’t post much, but I check the site on a daily basis… You can use my words for what it’s worth.

Looks like I am leaning toward a Kimber Adirondack 308. Liked the Remington weight and threaded barrel and price point but I also would be looking for a sub MOA like my 700's. I know Bergara is excellent also, just no short barrels.

Just my opinion......The Model 7 without doubt is a nice,easy to carry rifle. More than likely accurate enough for a hunting rifle when only one, maybe two shots is all thats needed. If a cold bore shot goes where it needs to go EVERY time, then you should be fine. If you expect tight groups of three or more shots, you may be disappointed in accuracy as the little barrels heat up real quick. This is probably why I was disappointed in mine. One was a 260 and it got the barrel HOT really quick. But if you want a nice light weight rifle the Model 7 fits the bill. I guess I am guilty of expecting more from a firearm than it was designed for. The Model 7 is a hunting rifle not a target rifle.

I currently own three Model 7 factory rifles. One is an older stainless Model 7 in a synthetic stock chambered in 260 Remington, and two newer Predator (Camo) Model rifles chambered in 243 Win and 223 Rem.

As the poster just above me stated, "The Model 7 is a hunting rifle not a target rifle."

The 260 Rem will keep five shots fired less than 30 seconds apart each shot in a one inch group as long as you want to create the groups. This is with hand loads. It is a very nice handling rifle and it shoots extremely well just as it came from the box.

The two Predator models I bought for use by grand kids when they come to visit. Both currently are scoped with Leupold Freedom 4x12 scopes. I easily sighted both rifles in so that they are shooting roughly 1-1.25" high at 100 yards. Both rifles sighted in easily using Remington factory ammunition as that is what I plan to use for the two rifles. Both can keep 3 shot groups within an inch at 100 yards. I never tried 5 shot groups out of either rifle.

Beyond re-torquing stock screws, initial barrel cleaning, lubing bolt lugs, and mounting scopes on each rifle, they are just as they came from the boxes.

Back