Thinking of a smoking varmint rifle

Eric, Treasure Valley. We shot many a chuck in the Eden/Hazelton area a decade plus ago. My wife's uncle had farm ground out by the hunt track.

That 22 Creedmoor is a performer. In long barreled guns (30") friend has been blowing the 88 ELDM s apart at 3250-3275 we believe because of heat friction. (8 twist) Had better luck shooting them around 3150-3175 in a 26" barrel. But those75-80 grain bullets around 3400 fps are wicked !! We ve had better luck with them staying together than the 88 s ... even with more velocity.

What bullets you using on chucks?

We have been using the 64 Grain Sierra TGK bullets and the 69 Grain Sierra Blitzking bullets (which we pulled from their loaded .223 Prairie Enemy ammunition). My writer is using a converted CZ 550 and I'm waiting on a Howa 1500 conversion from my gunsmith.

Treasure Valley here too. We should talk shop sometime.

Eric

Cant speak to the .204 too much as my experience there is limited however I do have a Sako 85 Varmint SS/Laminate in .22-250 and it is a shooter. I was between a 250 and .204 but decided on the 250 so i can used the same projectiles, most powders and cleaning stuff as my .223's

i love my 204 and the BIG perk over a 22-250 is that its not a fire breathing dragon lol

well that and powder efficiency (31 grains vs 38 grains max loads with cfe223 or roughly 23% more powder ) and barrel life.

the huge fireball out the end of the tube is what really turned me off to the 22-250 though - i like to be able to see more than an orange blob in the scope when i pull the trigger

The 204 is a fantastic round. I have been using one for Coyotes and Cats for many years now and I'm in the process of building another one.
The largest bullet I use is a 37gr., but shoot a lot of 35gr. bullets. IMR8208XBR is my go to powder for the 204 and 17 Rem.
The largest scope I run on mine is a 2.5X8 with it setting on 3X most of time.
One of the nice things about the 204 is not loosing the sight picture when the trigger is pulled. I would get the 204 and never look back.

Back