One less coyote to chew on plastic waterlines.

derbyacresbob

A good friend of mine told me 3 or 4 days ago a farmer friend of his was having problems with coyotes chewing up the plastic water lines in his vineyards and almond orchards.

I normally don't call coyotes this time of the year but I needed to go give it a try since this same farmer let's us hunt dove on his property.

I asked my neighbor to go along with me, he has hunted coyotes some in the past. I told him to bring his shotgun because it is not a good area to be shooting rifles in.

While the sun was going down out of sight we set up in a flat field with sage brush in it that was about a half mile square. There were grape vineyards about 300 yards away to our left.

I had my neighbor sit up against a big bush and I sat next to a big bush about 30 yards from him. I set my X-Wave about 20 yards out away from us.

I started out playing Adult Rat sound and after about 5 minutes of that I switched to Den Mayhem. Just a short time later I heard my neighbor shoot. I turned my head towards him just in time to see a coyote running very fast towards the X-Wave. Before I even had a chance to move my neighbor killed the coyote with his second shot.

The 12 ga 3" 1-1/2 oz load of TSS #4 shot killed the female coyote stone dead. It was my neighbor's first coyote kill with a shotgun.
IMG_7185 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/156463377@N08/, on Flickr

We may have to try a few more of these one stand at sundown hunts.

Never would have thought a coyote would chew a plastic water line. Just one more thing to add to their list of atrocities.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
Never would have thought a coyote would chew a plastic water line. Just one more thing to add to their list of atrocities.

Coyote pups are like dog pups they like to chew up soft chewy things. A government trapper I know told me many years ago about a big farm, that had a cement canal all along one side of the farm.

He said he knew they were not chewing on the plastic pipe to get water because they swam across the cement canal to get to the plastic pipe in the orchard.

Back