6.8 case variants

Greshamshooter, welcome to the madness. I've stayed out of most of the craziness because I knew it would be costly. Read up on the older threads on 6.8 variants and especially GLShooter's write ups. There is a lot to be learned.

If you going 20" or shorter I would stay with a bore size of at least 6mm to keep velocity. Before I went 22x6.8 I would consider a 22 Nosler.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: greshamshooterI was able to get my dies for CH4D today. They are labeled as 6mm SPC now. The person I spoke with on the phone said they also had them in 6.5 x 6.8 and had someone call about doing a 22 x 6.8. Now that would be interesting! Thanks again for everyone’s help in this matter.
The guy know as the other Greg.

Originally Posted By: dozer_xjI think it's been mentioned but what about ordering from Hornady?

Probably a good thing CH4d had the dies. The last time I called hornady a custom set was in the $200 range and to get them down to the $125 mark you needed to order 25 sets I think.

I sent in the prints for the 6x6.8 and 22x6.8 and as far as I was told, im the only one that can order dies using the reamers made for those prints.

MWP knows of what he speaks. Hornady is generally averse to doing one offs that they have done special runs on. They treat them as proprietary.

I have talked to them about a screwy 223 neither fish nor chambering I have and it's gonna cost $190.00 IIRC. I need to get that project rolling.

Greg

Well if Hornady won't sell dies I can't see that helping Ritch's sales much. If that's the way it is look towards a 6 DTI.

Last edited:
Most of us use bushings for more flexibility in neck tension. Lack of Hornady/CH4D dies has not slowed its popularity. The 20 and 22 calibers are all done with bushings as is a 30 caliber version.

Greg

Originally Posted By: varminter .223Well if Hornady won't sell dies I can't see that helping Ritch's sales much. If that's the way it is look towards a 6 DTI.

Its not that they wont, they will. It will just take some leg work on the buyers part and a bit more money than the sales I had put together. Those dies from hornady were not a production item. Essentially, I contracted them to make a batch order to recieve a reduced price.

Originally Posted By: varminter .223Average Joe critter perforator doesn't want to mess with bushing imo.

You are spot on there although I found once I tried one out I took to them like a dish in water. My first go round with them was making up 20 LBC out of 6.5. That took a lot of bushings a 0.010 per whack. Now I load about 75% of my stuff with them.

The nice thing about all the LBC wildcats have from 30 to 20 caliber all have the same should heights in mine so all I have to do is swap out the bushings. That sizer die lives on my AA Turret so I don't have to move a thing. My 6.8 variants are almost all the same with only one being an odd ball from 20 up to 6.5

Since I have variants of 6.5 and 6.8 all of the same bore diameter my need for bushings is pretty low. I like to have one size on each side of the optimal for XXX brass to account for lot to lot variation in thickness and springiness. Those two reasons are why I feel that the bushings are superior to the standard style although I have them for the 243 LBC and 6X6.8. I even have a 22X6.8 done by Redding that was one of the very they made on a run many years ago.

Greg

The first time I used bushing dies was with Federal brass from Cavity Back and I don't know if it was hard or what but they wouldn't chamber and if they did they would stick.

Originally Posted By: varminter .223The first time I used bushing dies was with Federal brass from Cavity Back and I don't know if it was hard or what but they wouldn't chamber and if they did they would stick.

Out of curiosity were they Redding full length?

Greg

I've been shooting that FC once fired from LWRC they sold years ago in all my variants. I probably got 3,000 of them. Almost all loaded with bushings and Redding FL dies. Never had an issue but every one on here has seen anomalies in their results. I also got a crap ton of the OLD SSA and that stuff has never caused any headaches. The Starline stuff loads great too.

Greg

I appreciate you sending in the prints for those calibers. I would have been out of luck. On a side note. I got a dust cover that says 6 x 6.8. It looks good but wish I would have added the 6mm x 6.8. The cover had enough room for the lettering. Can you guys tell me how to post a picture on here? I want to show it off once it is complete.

Originally Posted By: greshamshooterI appreciate you sending in the prints for those calibers. I would have been out of luck. On a side note. I got a dust cover that says 6 x 6.8. It looks good but wish I would have added the 6mm x 6.8. The cover had enough room for the lettering. Can you guys tell me how to post a picture on here? I want to show it off once it is complete.

Send me an email to GLSHOOTER@AOL.COM and I'll send along some loading data to get you going.

I use IMGUR to hold photos, Photobucket is crap and cost $$$ and IMGUR is free. Once loaded I just copy the BB link on the share part of the picture and paste it in the REPLY box and it posts up nicely.

Greg

Back