What recorder for use with video

Krockus

Suggestions for light compact and easy to use recorder. Been looking around and thought one that takes an SD card.Pop in computer and view.. Dan

The DVR in the second link does that come with everything needed to plug into the thermals or do other Jack's and adapters needed.. This will be for the hogster model thermals... Dan

I don't have a Hogster so I can't tell you what it comes with. Kirsch can probably answer that question for you, but the Lumenier is the same unit that UNV sells with the same cables. The only difference with the Hobby wireless model is a different type of wired remote.

The 2nd one mentioned is the Lumenier DX600 and is the one I use. It is extremely difficult to find in stock, so I would snatch it up before it is gone. It comes with a 2.5mm video cable that has an RCA male end.

I purchased a Hogster very early. It came with a dual cable. It had two ends, one for power and one for video. However, this cable caused some interference in the video feed if power and video were used at the same time. Due to this, I was told by Bering Optics they would be supplying a separate video and power cable. With my dual cable, the Hogster video cable also ended with a male RCA connector, so I needed a female-female RCA adapter, like this to connect the two cables. If you receive the separate cables, I would assume it will be the same, but cannot say 100%. It will either work without any adapters or require one like I linked to.

This works but is a mess of cables. If you are adventurous and want to simplify and shorten the cables, Vance did a Write Up awhile back showing how he did it. I do not like to mess around with soldering, so I have not done this.

Just received thermal today..It came with the 2 into one not individual cables..Going to order the battery and the DVR after done playing around a bit.. Thank you both..Dan

Maybe when younger I would dink around with solder but not for me either..

Last edited:
What external battery pack options for the hogster and how long would rechargable cr123 batteries survive in the hogster. Thanks. Dan

Originally Posted By: KrockusWhat external battery pack options for the hogster and how long would rechargable cr123 batteries survive in the hogster. Thanks. Dan The Night Goggles TRB is very popular as it includes the Picatinny rail connector. This is the battery pack Bering Optics uses to demo the Hogsters at Trade Shows. The TRB will run the Hogster approximately 12 hours continuously. Any 5volt USB battery pack in theory should work. If you don't get the TRB, I personally like the various Anker style battery packs.

Standard style 123s last around 4 hours in normal temps, and rechargeables around 2.5 hours. The rechargeable 123s are nice, but keep in mind, Bering will not warranty any damage caused to their Night Vision or Thermal devices due to battery damage such as fire, explosion, leaks, etc. When you combine the recoil of a weapon, with overcharged rechargeable batteries, it can be a bad result so be aware of this with rechargeable 123s.

My Hogster had such an early firmware version that it didn't have sleep/stand by mode. It is at Bering Optics right now getting the latest update. However, the times should be even longer if on stand by mode than listed.

The Hogster starts up and shuts down very quickly so I didn't mind not having Stand By but will probably use it once I get it back.

I just ordered that battery set up in that link and the DVR in doubleup post..I don't want to play with buying batteries or the rechargable crs if get half the life of non rechargable ones.. Dan

The rechargeable CR setup hasn’t been too bad for me. Although , I want the setup you ordered.
I have 12 rechargeable batts and haven’t hunted a night yet that I went thru them all. Most nights we hunt before sun down till sun up.

Kirsch, does that TRB external batt use the original hogster cord to power the hogster ?
I have the three end / two into one cable from hogster .

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Shooter222Kirsch, does that TRB external batt use the original hogster cord to power the hogster ?
I have the three end / two into one cable from hogster .
Yes, you can use the USB C end and plug that into the Hogster. It is really a long cable. Any USB to USB C cable will work for power if you want a shorter one. The only time YOU HAVE to use the one that came with the Hogster is if you wish to use the video out to a DVR. I have tried 4 different cables trying to find a shorter one for video out, and have had no luck so far.

How does one attach the Lumenier DX600 DVR to rifle.. Mine came with no directions on operation so will have to look online for manual..

Are you talking about physically attaching it or video hook-up to scope? Physical attachment could be done in a variety of ways including wire ties, bungee etc. to stock or forearm. Electronic attachment will use the video out cable provided by Hogster and attaches to input cable with the dvr or you could make up a compact one like Vance outlined.

Originally Posted By: DoubleUpAre you talking about physically attaching it or video hook-up to scope? Physical attachment could be done in a variety of ways including wire ties, bungee etc. to stock or forearm. Electronic attachment will use the video out cable provided by Hogster and attaches to input cable with the dvr or you could make up a compact one like Vance outlined.

Yes, was referring to physically attaching the recorder.. I am going to have to make one with a Y splitter. I want to run the recorder and hogster off the same battery.. Going to have re-route wires also because my ARs are side chargers and don't want get wires tangled up with the bolt handle.. Thank you. Dan

According to Kirsch as I understand it the Y splitter did cause some interference with the video, but maybe he can give you more info on that.

Lots of different ways. I used the TRB from Night Goggles and used velcro to secure it. Since the TRB has a picatinny mount, I attached it all to the side of my AR with a MLOK/Picatinny adapter.

There are some pouches you could probably find that could be connected via zip ties, velcro, etc. Vance is using one in this post that looks pretty good.

Originally Posted By: KrockusI recall that also about the Y..If I can buy a Y and use individual cables that might help..Dan I have tried 4 different cables off Amazon to find a video that works beside the one from Bering and finally gave up.

Yes, the video cable is long. If you want to run off an extended battery pack, virtually any USB C cable will do. However it is the video cable that has been the hard one to find. There are lots of USB C to RCA cables, but the ones I have tried do not work.

The static or interference isn't horrible if you use both at the same time. However as I am recording for Night Goggles, it was enough to bother me. If you use the Y cable but only connect the video portion, there is no interference.

Bottom line is you have to either use power only, video only, or use both and know you will get some minor interference in your recording. Even if Bering provides new cables, it will be 2 separate cables, so you will still have to choose. At least the Y cable allows a choice of either of the 3 options.

Back