Does OAL matter in revolvers?

Pantera

Below are two rounds of .44spl handloads. Looking at the crimp, the left cartridge bullet is seated deeper (shorter OAL) than the right cartridge. Is this enough to cause variances in performance or catastrophic failure? I am shooting out of an 8" S&W 629.

zcZ4pP3.jpg

Last edited:
I would not expect a major difference in pressures unless you were on the upper edge of powder charges or seated one waaaaay deeper than the other. There could be a difference in accuracy due to the different jumps to the forcing cones of the cylinder and the barrel. I would shoot each OAL from a solid rest to see which is more accurate and go from there.

Originally Posted By: HellgateI would not expect a major difference in pressures unless you were on the upper edge of powder charges or seated one waaaaay deeper than the other. There could be a difference in accuracy due to the different jumps to the forcing cones of the cylinder and the barrel. I would shoot each OAL from a solid rest to see which is more accurate and go from there.

Ended up having to pull all 50 of my .44spl loads because I realized the powder bar wasn’t adjusted correctly. Loading 22gr in 44mag 200gr bullet now

No problem with pressure being dangerous as long as you are using a safe load. You should trim your cases to a tighter tolerances. Also,be sure you are crimping the bullet to the bottom of the cannelure.

Back