Ruger 17 Hornet

Short update. I have tweeked about everything possible, am down to about 1 1/4 in. with factory ammo. I am presently waiting for an inch/ pound torque wrench to experiment with action screw tension, after that I am done, will accept it for what it is.
Back to my twist rate goof up. Not trying to impress anyone but with over 30 years of gunsmithing experience (not benchrest but general) I know who to check twist rate, but how I messed that one up I still can’t figure short of pure carelessness caused by over confidence.
Another frustrating feature is the group pattern. One time I can get a nice 11/4 triangle, the next time two almost touching with the third out 11/4 but never three tight. That generally is a mechanical problem or shooter error. I can pick up my 222 and shoot a 1/4 in. group. Pick up the Hornet, put on same rest and bag and back to same problem

Last edited:
I finally got to a public range this AM to shoot the Ruger 77 17 HH for the first time. My rifle is the same 18" barrel model of Ruger 77 rifle that parson bought. New rules at the range involving social distancing seemed different as there was a shooter at only every third table from the next guy. Shooter.....two empty spaces........another shooter......... I guess that arrangement lets the range owner and his insurance company feel comfortable in this new normal.

Now...... How to break the news?

I took a 50 round box of factory Hornady ammunition with me and after getting the rifle roughly zeroed to my satisfaction, I did some playing with scope tracking and some "serious" shooting for group sizes since that seems to be what this thread and the dastardly Ruger 77 rifles is all about.

This first photo is of a pretty typical group fired at 100 yards. Its actually five consecutive shots that I took while getting the scope zeroed. If you notice the hole to the right is slightly larger and elongated just a bit compared to the others. I'm guessing that two bullets went through that hole and created its slightly different appearance. Either that or the accuracy of the rifle - or lack thereof - threw one shot completely off the paper and into the next county.
laugh.gif
Actually, I was unable to see where shot #4 hit the target from the shooting bench using my spotting scope, so the slightly elongated hole did not surprise me when I saw it up close.

9FhbrvEh.jpg

The next picture is actually two different 5-shot groups involving a bit of scope adjustment. What looks like a six shot group on the bottom....with the three strung in a vertical row near the dime...the top hole there was the first shot after I dialed one click of windage right and two clicks of elevation up after firing the first five rounds.

After seeing where the first shot of the second group landed, I added two more clicks of elevation and the 4 shot group up above resulted. That is where I left the scope dialed in at after using the circle as the aim point. The circle and squares are 1 inch in size and the proverbial Roosevelt dime adds additional perspective. I have no idea why the first group is strung slightly from right to left and the next group isn't as well defined in that manner as they were fired consecutively. Maybe there was one of psycho's 17 caliber accuracy-killing hurricane wind storms that blew ashore and it affected the first group more so than the second? Still each does show a bit of horizontal stringing likely due to unknown down range wind conditions.
laugh.gif
A fairly steady wind of 8-9 mph was consistent from my right to my left at roughly 30 degrees at the bench during the range session, and even though its effect is possibly shown in these and other groups, it really wasn't an accuracy killer for the rifle. The shots fired and shown here in this picture are 41-45 and 46-50 of the 50 round box.

jgXIZPNh.jpg

Anyway, after many covid supported nightmares keeping me from shooting it earlier to check its accuracy, I'm happy with the results. The rifle should be very serviceable for raccoons and any other assorted small vermin that it might attract. Maybe even accurate enough to hit a coyote now and then.
smile.gif
Hand loading might add to its ability...?

btw - the scope used is an Athlon 4-16x40 side focus scope with small mildots. It looks good on the rifle and it will stay there. Very clear and bright at all powers.

Mission accomplished.

I would be happy if mine was half that good. Don’t know how to post pictures and too old to learn. Just heard back from Ruger regarding action screw tension. 60 in pounds on front and hand tight on rear then back off 1/8 turn

Originally Posted By: parsonI would be happy if mine was half that good. Don’t know how to post pictures and too old to learn. Just heard back from Ruger regarding action screw tension. 60 in pounds on front and hand tight on rear then back off 1/8 turn

I hope that I never get too old to learn something new.

I did re-tighten the screws on my rifle but I didn't measure them. Front was tightened firmly snug but nowhere near as tight as it came from the box, and the back was tightened just snug enough to keep the screw securely in place while using the rifle. More than just hand tight on the rear screw but not tight enough that it should affect action torquing or bending in the stock.

That right hole is 2 thru the same hole. Do you ever keep track of which hole came from which shot-thru a spotting scope?

That helps me esp of I jerk one or a flier on first shot due to clean/cold barrel. I make a little drawing of the bull at the bench and then write 1, 2,etc on the drawing where the bullet hit the
target. Sometimes I even put a small portion of the target in my reloading book for reference how a particular load shot. Any jerks/pulls should be noted.

Originally Posted By: 22 ChuckThat right hole is 2 thru the same hole. Do you ever keep track of which hole came from which shot-thru a spotting scope?

That helps me esp of I jerk one or a flier on first shot due to clean/cold barrel. I make a little drawing of the bull at the bench and then write 1, 2,etc on the drawing where the bullet hit the
target. Sometimes I even put a small portion of the target in my reloading book for reference how a particular load shot. Any jerks/pulls should be noted.

Oh, wow.... I never thought about doing any of that.

It was the 4th shot of the group that enlarged the hole from the second shot.
smile.gif

Well I have done about as much as I am going to. A short review, to begin with I used Hornady 20 gr factory ammo. Shot 3-4 inch groups, tried a couple reloads, no better. Lightened the trigger and changed scopes, slight improvement but not much. Sent back to Ruger. They floated the barrel (just barely) and said they torqued the action screws correctly, I asked how that was, they said 60 inch pounds on front and hand tight on rear. They claimed 3/8 at 50 with Winchester 20gr. Tried it, could not come close though may have averaged a little better than Hornady. Throwing caution aside not concerned about warranty, beaded the action and increased barrel clearance As wood was still a little tight and put in a Timney. Got closer to 2 inch with all that. Bought a digital torque wrench, went from 20 to 60 trying to find a sweet spot, no such luck. Worked up some more reloads, four different bullets and two different powders, no improvement. Dealer got some 20gr American Eagle, went out yesterday with Hornady, two reloads and the American Eagle. No improvement till I tried last of all the American Eagle. Two groups under an inch. To be sure it was not a fluke went out this morning, shot three groups all give or take right at an inch. Not messing with it anymore. Dealer only had four more boxes, took them all asked them to see if the wholesaler had anymore of that lot. Forgot to add I also tightened headspace about 4 thou

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: parson Forgot to add I also tightened headspace about 4 thou

How did you do that, did you set it back and rechamber it?

Put a shim washer between the two bolt pieces. This is a fairly common mod on the Ruger 77/22 series but I have never gotten a big improvement like some claim

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: parsonPut a shim washer between the two bolt pieces. This is a fairly common mod on the Ruger 77/22 series but I have never gotten a big improvement like some claim

But it's a bottleneck cartridge, not a straight wall cartridge like a 22 rimfire, so you didn't really change the headspace per say, you just tightened up the bolt. In order to actually change the headspace you would have had to set it back and rechamber it.

Originally Posted By: parsonHead spaces on the rim

Kind of like a belted case, for best accuracy,it really only should on the first firing.

A straight wall case,like a 22LR, has no choice but to headspace off of the rim and varying rim thickness can affect accuracy but shiming the bolt in your 17 Hornet did nothing to change headspace, it just tightened up the bolt on how hard it closes against the case head.

For best accuracy in these 17 Hornets, get yourself a Redding bushing neck size only die and keep your brass sorted by neck thickness because it's all over the place and depending on the Lot it will range between 9 and 12 thou neck thickness.

OK, not going to argue with you, guess I learned nothing in 30 years of gunsmithing. But one more time and I am out of here. When I started there was 4 thou between cartridge base and face of bolt, now there is zero space between case base and bolt face, call it whatever you want

Oh my......
laugh.gif

Just for clarification purposes, the bolt on these rifles is a two piece bolt with the bolt locking lugs located on the back half of the bolt. The front half of the bolt has no locking lugs.

Back