What thermal company working on new technology

Krockus

I been thinking about this for a while..using night hunting gear with VR type goggles..let the VR goggles interact with thermal or NV scopes and such. The possibilities would be unlimited..have the cross hairs pop up in the goggles when it switches to rifle mode.no need to switch from scanner to rifle just push a button and your there.If I had the skill and knowledge I would be all over that idea.I bet we could do our selves with the video out mode on these units.

Last edited:
It's probably coming or possibly already exists in some form.

I used to work with thermal technologies/cameras starting back in the 80's when I worked as an engineer in the Aerospace community. I recall we paid something like $60k for a "high speed" thermal camera system for inspecting composite materials for the F22 and other aircraft. I told the FLIR reps back then they needed to make thermals smaller and capable of being mounted on rifles with crosshairs, etc. They told me they'd look into it and they sure did. Technology never sits still and these are good times for night hunters.

Originally Posted By: KrockusI been thinking about this for a while..using night hunting gear with VR type goggles..let the VR goggles interact with thermal or NV scopes and such. The possibilities would be unlimited..have the cross hairs pop up in the goggles when it switches to rifle mode.no need to switch from scanner to rifle just push a button and your there.If I had the skill and knowledge I would be all over that idea.I bet we could do our selves with the video out mode on these units. I've done this but it wasn't with thermal. It wouldn't be that difficult to do, but I can tell you, it isn't very effective. I tested a system like this before digital scopes were a thing. I was recording coyote hunts for Drury Outdoors, and tested a system called the Nyte Vu. It was a daytime or night vision attachment that sent a video signal to a set of goggles which could also be used as Night Vision Goggles.

It is so much easier to shoot with a scope and switch between. I thought I could probably find a clip of the video but I don't own the rights to it, so can't post unless I found it already posted. Here are some pictures from it. Trust me, it sounds great, but was extremely difficult.

Drury Outdoors

Here are a few more images:

There should be one image from each link where you can see a small picture of the VR style goggles being worn by me.

The idea kind of reminds me of the US Army Land Warrior program. One of the coolest things that I think needs more RND is the NV/thermal hybrid systems. Something like the COTI is such a cool idea, but lacking. Any such system would be big money. Heck the COTI without a PVS-14 is over $5k

Back