6.5 grendal for dogs

Just about any bullet you can get to shoot well except FMJ's. If your saving fur none that I've found. I hunt for fur and tried the Grendel and it stays home when the fur is nice, large exits with 90gr Speers, 100gr Nosler Custom Comps and Hornady 123's.

Ive had my best performance with 95gr vmax, 100gr nbt and 90gr varmageddon. Often these projectiles leave small exits.

Good info hornady eld's and frontier fmj's are about all I can find locally. Have to search the old inner-web. Thanks

Last edited:
Well an update on grendal ammo. Shot one This morning at 80yds with 123 eld bthp, punched a small hole with no blood trail, 60yd recovery. I want them drt, still looking for best round. Taking them for farmers not fur.

I’m watching this thread. .
As I just purchased a 6.5 upper and plan on using it for same thing.

My thoughts are using 100gr Nosler plastic tip hunting round.
I sighted mine in with ammo from - First to Fight Tactical Solutions . Com - (a reloader company here in Michigan) .
There stuff shot well. I do not reload.

I haven’t gotten to shoot a coyote yet with it, I threw my back out Thursday night and missed 2 planned hunts this weekend.

Please let me us how your search for ammo goes

I have had two nights worth of hunting now with my 6.5 grendel.
I’m using 100gr Nosler .

First night I shot one head on at around 40 yards. It dropped in spot and flopped only a few times.

Second night I hit one at 125 yards . It was quartering away from me/ leaving the set.
He fell on his face jumped up and spun about 5 times and took off. Followed blood trail for 50 yards, just a few small spots of blood every 4 feet or so. No recovery.

I also missed a long shot at about 300 , but I blame that on me.

I’m not sure what I think of the round I’m shooting yet. Maybe tomorrow night will shed some more light on it.

100 gr Nosler spitzer - brown ballistic tip

I’m not a reloader so I just buy reload ammo.

Ftfts.com

Last edited:
That's good info, I've got some sst's but looks to be at least a couple of weeks before I can try them out. Then I need the dogs to cooperate.

Bm0455 there is a forum just for Grendel’s called “6.5 Grendel”......Forum
that I go to for lots of Grendel information

Originally Posted By: Bm0455Well an update on grendal ammo. Shot one This morning at 80yds with 123 eld bthp, punched a small hole with no blood trail, 60yd recovery. I want them drt, still looking for best round. Taking them for farmers not fur.
I have to ask, was it the eld-m or the eld-x. The m is a match bullet and the x is the hunting bullet.

After a full night of hunting Friday night , about 4:45 am we had a coyote blow threw the set, he wouldn’t stop.
Just as he crested the hill and went out of sight he stopped Broadside to a whistle and looked Around . All I could see was his head.
At 110 yards, I squeezed trigger and he collapsed.

Shot was dead on target , right below ear.

Tiny entry and inch and a quarter exit.

The Nosler hunting tip worked for that shot. I’ve not had the chance to shoot one broadside yet with recovery .
url]

Back